It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FITS V 2010
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Weather calls for rain tonight (been raining out here in AJ all day) and clear tomorrow until tomorrow evening when it will start raining again.

Just be cautious and don't drive through any water please! You don't know how deep it is underneath it. I have a feeling the Gila will still be running tomorrow and Fri.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Folks, I am going to make the tougher trail for FITS the Coke Ovens run, and if no one objects I would like to take Todd up on his offer to lead a run to Ajax Mine. If you object please let me know. The end of the month is here and it needs to get out there for planning. Also, I know that one FITS the group staged out of Usery Park. I know that this will make the trail head for the ovens a little bit far. I am fine with that but want to know what other are thinking. Mike D threw out something for us but has not gotten back to me on it. I will list the trails in the official thread but hold off on the camp site. I think Usery is between both trails so it seems like a good spot and can accommodate all of us. Bring your friends!

Ernie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well the Ajax/Telegraph trail starts off Cottonwood Canyon Road, just like the Coke Ovens. So we could all convoy together from the group camp area (wherever it may be). Then at the air-down spot at Cottonwood, we could stagger groups.

Usery worked-out OK I thought. Their group camp area was nice enough. Plus they have fire rings and no curfew...

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/usery/camping.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

Usery has first serve individual campsites and two group site. Are going to reserve a group site or let people get their own and be scattered about?

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:
Usery has first serve individual campsites and two group site. Are going to reserve a group site or let people get their own and be scattered about?

We would get the group site.......we will now for sure tomorrow.....

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

phxtoad wrote:
Well the Ajax/Telegraph trail starts off Cottonwood Canyon Road, just like the Coke Ovens. So we could all convoy together from the group camp area (wherever it may be). Then at the air-down spot at Cottonwood, we could stagger groups.

Usery worked-out OK I thought. Their group camp area was nice enough. Plus they have fire rings and no curfew...

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/usery/camping.aspx

I was hoping taht the Coke Ovens group could go in through Price Rd. (further south of Cottonwood Canyon Rd.) and exit the same way. It would make a really long trail day even longer through cottonwood canyon rd. Or we can go in through Price and out through Cottonwood Canyon Rd. It will be at minimum a 6 hour trail in and out through Price....I am game to go in one way and out the other. Just want to make sure we get back to camp and still ahve some energy for a late night:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Neatus wrote:
I was hoping taht the Coke Ovens group could go in through Price Rd. (further south of Cottonwood Canyon Rd.) and exit the same way. It would make a really long trail day even longer through cottonwood canyon rd. Or we can go in through Price and out through Cottonwood Canyon Rd. It will be at minimum a 6 hour trail in and out through Price....I am game to go in one way and out the other. Just want to make sure we get back to camp and still ahve some energy for a late night:)

I'll second that... going out via Cottonwood Canyon Road depending how long it takes to get to the Coke Ovens and back to that area. If it takes too long, as Ernie suggested, we may just have to go out on Price Road.

Before we decide for sure, I'd suggest a quick trip out there to check the rocky area we'd have to climb through to continue north. Roland and I were out that way last month after running Box Canyon. About a mile north of Box Canyon, there were basket ball sized rocks and larger to climb up to get over a ledge. We didn't attempt it, and sorry I didn't get pics. It wouldn't be much of an issue in Ernie's rig, others may have a problem.

If someone that's going to run the harder Coke Ovens trail at FITS wants to make a quick trip out and back to check out the area I'm talking about and get another opinion, let me know when....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:
Neatus wrote:

I'll second that... going out via Cottonwood Canyon Road depending how long it takes to get to the Coke Ovens and back to that area. If it takes too long, as Ernie suggested, we may just have to go out on Price Road.

Before we decide for sure, I'd suggest a quick trip out there to check the rocky area we'd have to climb through to continue north. Roland and I were out that way last month after running Box Canyon. About a mile north of Box Canyon, there were basket ball sized rocks and larger to climb up to get over a ledge. We didn't attempt it, and sorry I didn't get pics. It wouldn't be much of an issue in Ernie's rig, others may have a problem.

If someone that's going to run the harder Coke Ovens trail at FITS wants to make a quick trip out and back to check out the area I'm talking about and get another opinion, let me know when....

I think we should do the Price way...Tim completed it all with only a few minor issues that he was able to overcome with good driving and skid plates. The Price way has about 16 miles of smooth dirt rd and a speed limit of 45 which gets you to the fun part fast. I don't think this route will dissapoint and it takes you through a different part of the canyon which is nice. I would be interested in running the part of the trail you want to try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 am 
LOST Addict

Hi folks.

Sorry to be AWOL, but I am at the end of a two year project at work. It should be done in the next week or two. After the middle of the month, I am available to help with whatever needs helping with. IM me then (say after the 15th of Feb).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pablo wrote:
Hi folks.

Sorry to be AWOL, but I am at the end of a two year project at work. It should be done in the next week or two. After the middle of the month, I am available to help with whatever needs helping with. IM me then (say after the 15th of Feb).

Thanks.

Will do Paul...thanks for chiming in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dynamike wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

Any news on if the group site is available. Several people are asking
:CAMPING:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

oldhockeyvb wrote:
dynamike wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

Any news on if the group site is available. Several people are asking
:CAMPING:

Mike D. was supposed to have the info to us today, but I took the Liberty and called this morning, and was holding off for his announcement. Unless he has something else up his sleeve, I guess I'll be the bearer of the bad news....

....both A and B group sites at Usery Park are reserved by a group called "Alberta Rovers" for the days we want.

They do have an unimproved group site called Cholla Forest within Usery Park. It has picnic tables, fire ring but no toilets, showers or a ramada..... I didn't bother asking about the price, or other details. I figured if we were going to pay a fee, we'd at least want a developed site with facilities.

The lady at Usery Park suggested checking with McDowell Mountain Park. If someone wants to check in with them, the number is: (480) 471-0173

Lesson learned.... when we plan our yearly events and want to use public areas, maybe we should start planning farther in advance than we have the last couple of years.

:juggle:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That area has vault toilets....I don't see a problem with this area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:30 am 
LOST Addict

Neatus wrote:
That area has vault toilets....I don't see a problem with this area.

Okay... bad intel on my part. The lady I talked to said there were no toilets or showers. Now that I think of it, if the CG in a park, they almost must have toilets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:24 am 

AZKJ wrote:
Mike D. was supposed to have the info to us today, but I took the Liberty and called this morning, and was holding off for his announcement. Unless he has something else up his sleeve, I guess I'll be the bearer of the bad news....

My GOD, patience AJ..........this news isn't life and death. Sorry we went over 2 days (gathering more intel)...........we are going to have the person at the park all confused.......When we commit to doing something, or checking out info. WE DO IT !! Any delay, is beyond our control.

FITS WILL be at Usery Park, group campground. No electricity, but vault toilets.

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm 
LOST Addict

dynamike wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

My GOD, patience AJ..........this news isn't life and death. Sorry we went over 2 days (gathering more intel)...........we are going to have the person at the park all confused.......When we commit to doing something, or checking out info. WE DO IT !! Any delay, is beyond our control.

FITS WILL be at Usery Park, group campground. No electricity, but vault toilets.

Whoa there!! I didn't mean to steal your thunder, or think you'd mind. Stupid me for thinking... I presumed you were indisposed. You did say you were going out of town again for awhile, right?? And yeah, you're correct... it is not life or death (not much is in the overall scheme of things). On the other hand, someone asked about the camp ground so they could make plans, I had some information and I posted it for them and the organizers to see. I didn't realize it was a big a deal in doing so. If you read my post again... I did state you may have something else up your sleeve, and you did!!

Mike... I hope you know that I never implied you wouldn't do what you said you'd do!! I guess the difference between us is that I believe in keeping people informed. If I say I'll do something, or have the information, I'll do it too... but if there is any delay, I'll keep people updated, even if the delay is beyond my control.

:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FITS costs info on the FITS forum.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=137