It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: payson trails?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:58 am 
LOST Member

We're planning a camping trip for 4/23 - 4/25 in payson for my birthday and blake's birthday.

While we are there, does anyone know of any fun trails in payson? I think we are going to try the e verde river trail. Is it worth our time? Is there anything else that's good around payson?

We're camping near Houston-Mesa.

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

Post subject: Re: payson trails?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow!!! You're in for cold weather camping, eh?? I just checked out the weather page for Payson on the dates you're heading up there. The average high is 62* and average low is 31* Brrrr... Shiver... Shiver...
:CAMPING:

As for trails... I know of only three that are in the Massey and Wilson book (the Wells book doesn't list any):

- Central #32 FR300 Control Road (rated 1, scenic 7) Runs for 22 miles along the edge of the Mogollon Rim
- Central #33 East Verde River Trail (rated 4, scenic 9) About 14 miles and can be driven as a loop with the next trail
- Central #34 Mazatzal Wilderness Trail (rated 2, scenic 7) It's 9 miles

Sorry, that's all I know of. There are a few others that aren't in the guide books, maybe someone else can chime in.

If you want someone to run a trail with while you're up in Payson, post up... Beth and I will make it.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AJ:
Show them the spring creek trail we did last time near Young

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:06 am 
LOST Addict

oldhockeyvb wrote:
AJ:

Forgot all about that trail!! Is that the one Bethany lead right before she went overseas, and an "unnamed" individual almost wiped you out with their potato canon from the other side of the big pond??

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:
oldhockeyvb wrote:
AJ:

Forgot all about that trail!! Is that the one Bethany lead right before she went overseas, and an "unnamed" individual almost wiped you out with their potato canon from the other side of the big pond??

I thought Vern wanted hash browns!

Rex, the Spring Creek trip is pretty cool and your kids will love it at the end. The water will be chilly but Bethany and I swam in it in April:) If you PM me Rex I will try and find my map on my computer on how to get there. It is an easy trail in a beautiful area.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:42 am 
LOST Member

We ended up finding a pretty interesting trail between houston-mesa and the highway. We also tried the upper verde trail (i think that is what it is called). I didn't even think to get any pics. There wasn't really much of anything special, but it must have been a pretty bumpy traily because Blake lost his breakfast when we stopped for a break. He was fine - just a little motion sickness. We had a few hundred yards of driving upstream at the end, which was pretty cool. All in all it was a fun trip.

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---