It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: El Camino del Diablo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello again everyone!

The holidays are quickly approaching so I thought I'd chime in and see about gaining interest for potentially our first run of the year, EL CAMINO DEL DIABLO!!!!!

I've been in talks (or emails rather) with the Park Rangers, local Border Patrol, and MCAS personnel and the all clear has been given so far for a run in early January, I'm thinking 14-17 perhaps, adjustable for sure. The weather should be good, depsite maybe a bit of rain that sometimes happens here about that time of year. Seeing as most of you are coming from the PHX/Tuscon area or otherwise I would recommend starting the trip in Yuma so then when it ends in Ajo you all will be closer to your homes, unless of course there is a push to do it the otherway.

At any rate, just putting a feeler out there, I've never done this trip before but have read and heard a lot about this trail and am looking forward to it.

For those that don't know about the trail, it is a trail that has been used for roughly 400 years by early spanish settlers as a means to get to the pacific coast and along the way tons of persons have pershed, many grave markers are said to be seen along the route or maybe even a ghost caravan even. :ALONE: It is now currently used by Border Patrol when doing surveillance occassionally but for the most part is kept up by those jeeps that cross it and other park ranger types that keep tabs on the wildlife (birds and the rare Sonoran Pronghorn, that when in breeding season actually closes the trail by rangers).

Hope to see a good response for this trip thanks!

Here are a few links to get more info:
http://www.nps.gov/orpi/index.htm
http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recrea ... iablo.html
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/camino.htm
http://www.desertrider.net/catalog.html
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/ar ... index.html

And I'm sure some of you might have a book that describes it further or know of other links to more info. Please, go ahead and post up the info so others that don't know can find out more.

There is one combination permit or 2 seperate permits required for this trip but they are free and can be mailed to your address in advance if you contact MCAS Yuma (928-269-7450) and/or Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (Margot_Bissell@fws.gov; 520-387-6483).

Laters,
Scott

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject: Re: El Camino del Diablo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Scott,

I haven't introduced myself, but my wife and I live in Tucson and are potentially interested. My wife went with a group on that trail many years ago, before she met me.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I have a wooden sailboat that I need to spend a lot of hours on this winter. I built it myself and it's been on the water, but I need to make a bunch of spare parts, repaint, and fix some broken floor turnbutton blocks.

I believe you're the one with the awesome SFA conversion from Kevin's Offroad. It would be worth the trip just to see that!

Anyway, I'm interested.

Ernie

4.10 gears, front & rear ARB lockers, Boulder Bars, AFE Stage 2 intake
Surco rack w BajaRack jerry can holder
Cobra 75 WX ST

06 LJ Rubi, 3.5" RE SA and 33" BFG KM2s, GenRight tank

Post subject: Re: El Camino del Diablo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds good Ernie. I'll keep this thread updated as time gets closer and such. Best of luck on the boat as well, sounds like quite the project there!

-Scott

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487