It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Valley Charity for Injured Firefighter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey guys and gals,

It's been a while since I've posted on the boards. It's the same ole story, lots of changes in my life and still trying to nail things down.

I wanted to post about a local event. I have a friend putting together a charity trail ride for a Buckeye Valley Fire District Captain that was injured in a motorcycle accident back in August. Justin Dotson, is a 39 year old fire captain who was injured in the east valley. The link is to the original news story. If you read the story, you will see that Justin wasn't wearing a helmet & I will ask now... Please DO NOT post about the necessity of wearing a helmet on a bike. We all know the risks.

Though Justin is recovering, his family is still in financial need & some of the firefighters are putting together a 2nd trail ride to try and help with what they can. Below is more information on the trail ride and I will attach a map of the meet location with general directions from along I-10. The majority of you are in the east valley and I’m not going to lie… It’s going to be a road trip; you may want to pack breakfast for the trip out and dinner for the trip back.

They are asking that everyone be at the meet location around 8am-8:30am. The ride starts at 9am and is expected to last until noon. The meet location is at a local bar/restaurant in Arlington, AZ and there will be a barbeque lunch afterwards. The price for the bbq is $7.50 per plate and I’m told is worth every penny. They are asking for $20 per vehicle that attends.

If you are not able to make it, but would still like to donate, please call Lee (number is at the end of the post). There was a Chase account set up for the family, but I’m not sure if it is still active. Lee would be able to tell you though. If you have a question and can’t reach him then send me an email (miked0106@yahoo.com) and I can try to find the answer to your question.

Here is the original posting that was sent to me:
Time
Saturday, March 5 • 8:00am - 11:00am
More Info
UNITED WEST VALLEY FIREFIGHTERS L4371 IS HOSTING OFF-ROAD TRAIL RIDE TO BENEFIT INJURED BVFD FIRE CPT. JUSTIN DOTSON AND HIS FAMILY - REGISTRATION BEGINS 8:00am - RIDE BEGINS AT 9:00am - ENTRY IS $20 PER VEHICLE - 4 WHEEL DRIVE REQUIRED - DIRT BIKES/UTV's/QUADS ARE ALLOWED - ALL PROCEEDS GO TO THE DOTSON FAMILY - CONTACT LEE FOR MORE INFORMATION (602)525-1366

I had a map to post with directions, but it doesn't want to work so Click Here for the link. The map starts from 35th Ave & I-10. I figured I would leave it general so those who were interested could customize it.

Thanks all, have a great day and be safe :JEEPIN:

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject: Re: West Valley Charity for Injured Firefighter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 am 
LOST Junkie

Hey I live on the East side..... the east side of Avondale!
Mike , I take it you will be there cause I will make this but I really would like someone there I for sure know. I however know lots of folks out these parts but a fellow LOSTer would be nice.
The cause is a good one and this supports one of our public safety professionals so it is all good.

So count me in!

But however - do you know the area(s) they will be wheeling and/or have you run these trails your self and what is the rating 1-5 scale(difficulty)? cause KJs can struggle after a 3.4 or so.
But I am sure it will not be close to that tough.

See you Saturday
And anyone else here on LOST in the greater Phoenix area. I know a lot of people don't have Saturdays off but if you do, why not? It has been a while and this half day event is perfect to get together again and catch up. Lets all support a good cause.

Roland

215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Roland...

I forgot you were out in these parts. Yes, I will be out there for sure so a familiar face is guaranteed :seuss:

I will let them know that we have at least one more in.

I have never been wheeling in the area they are going, but I've been told my KJ probably can't handle it because of the 2wd. I can't picture much in the way of obstacles, so I'm guessing sand or other loose material requiring a good air down.

So I'm just planning to head to the meeting spot, drop the $20, and roll with someone to be on the safe side. I've pushed my KJ passed it's limits out in the White Tanks (almost rolled it once), but I'm told it will be too much. The only requirement they have pushed on me is that you need 4wd, so I think you will be fine.

I will get in touch with Lee or his wife to make sure though. I know Lee has been out there a few times in his truck. Oh, I'm also told there may be a poker game after the run, so bring a few extra bucks to donate to my cause ;)

See you Saturday!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

I did not realize you are 2WD.
I think I may have 1 of my daughters with me but I should have room for you if you don't catch a ride!

See you Saturday!
And hopefully other folks show from LOST cause we haven't had a posted run in Phoenix in a while and I happen to have Saturday off.

Roland

Its a Diesel baby!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yea, only 2wd... Upgrading at that time was a little out of my price range, but time may be coming for a change soon :mrgreen:

Hopefully others can make it, but if not then we'll represent. :lol:

Take it easy & see you Saturday around 8ish.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wish I could make it but going to a charity concert in Lake Havasu for a friend of mine's wife that passed away from Breast/Brain Cancer recently.

Don't mean to hijack, but if anyone in the Lake Havasu area would like to come out it is on Saturday from 5-10pm at the London Bridge Beach Park...should be a great time and tickets are only $10!!!!!

-Scott

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No worries Scott. It's all for the same general purpose.

Roland - not sure if you will see this in time, but the trail is rated at a 2 according to a couple of people. They said the Jeep should actually fairly better than the trucks going because of the smaller size.

See you out there.

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

Short trail report:
Shoot me as I misplaced my camera and did not get pics but --Wow!--:
Excellent, very excellent trail selection on BLM lands south and west of Arlington behind Palo Verde NPS.
Ranged from soft, soft sand to rock gardens to steeper climbs and descents.
With by passes rate this a 2.5, very doable by even stocker KJ. Tougher lines put this at 2.9ish(those testy rock gardens). We had more than our fair share of AZ pinstriping.
This was a West Valley Fire Fighters, off road division, charity run and these guys had all different kinds of trail rigs, from crawlers to lifted TJs to H1s and FJs, Zuks and an FS Wagoneer and an older Land Cruiser. There were a number of ATVs too. 26 units total.
Of course a few of them praised the KJ CRD at the end of the run for its capability. (It was the driver I tell you , HaHa, JK) and asked a few questions about the diesel.

Here we go, again I got to run a first ever trail for me and again it was very worth it with the challenge and scenery. Everyone was there to help in case and there were a couple of breakdowns (not me!).
But it was all fun and well worth it.

FYI: The Westside is BIG. One way from my west valley home to the trail head is 41 miles! Mind you from my house to Gold Canyon, East Valley is 55 miles.

Many thanks to Mike for the invite and many thanks to the firefighter group that took me in and were very friendly and accommodating!

Roland

Its a Diesel baby!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After hanging out with everyone, I kind of fell asleep last night before I could upload the pics, but here they are... I uploaded them to my Facebook profile, but you shouldn't need an account to view them. If you can't view the pictures for whatever reason, shoot me a PM and I can upload them somewhere else.

L4371 Charity Ride

Thanks for making it out Roland, I know the guys really appreciated it. It was a great run with a great turnout. As Roland pointed out, the trail was fairly moderate. I think even my 2wd could have done it with the exception of the mile +/- long wash, but as long as there was someone nearby with a recovery strap then that would have been the most difficult obstacle for me. The rest would have just been picking lines like everyone else.

The scenery was great and the people were just as fun to be around. It's definitely a trail I wouldn't mind going out to again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Mike your link works fine.
Man you gotta that little red diesel in the pics! The H1 was a 6.5L GM style V8 diesel and he and I were the ones clanking along burning oil.

Good pics with your phone camera Mike. i still can't find my camera as I fear I may have lost it at work.

Roland

Its a Diesel baby!