It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trails
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey ya'll... My girlfriend and I recently moved out from MI and towards the beginning of the year bought a jeep liberty kk. If anyone has some good suggestions for trails we could take it would be much appreciated or if anyone wants to run out there with us that would be even better!! We've traveled around gas pipeline rd in New River went to Bloody Basin on Saturday got to see snow in April!! And we have been to the coves at Saguaro Lake a handful of times. Thanks for readin!!

Post subject: Trails
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

A group that I found which is very nice is Arizona Virtual Jeep Club. Great group of people that know A LOT about trails in AZ and if you get stuck somewhere they will usually know someone nearby to help if not come out themselves.
My ID there is Xodius :). Between the two sites you should be good oh and jeep KJ country. :). Where in AZ are you? I am in Vegas which isn't far.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

Post subject: Re: Trails
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ya I checked out AVJ looked like some serious rock crawlers... live in north phoenix by the paradise valley mall. I will go to the kj country site tho... thanks. Just ordered a cb so hopefully that will help us out if we do get stuck. I dont have a lift on the jeep yet so we try to stick to simple trails that we've already been down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 pm 
LOST Member

There are a ton of trails around here. Knowing which one your on and what land agency controls the land the trail is on can be difficult. So if you plan to be out an about, I would recommend picking up a State Trust Land permit. There are tons of little patches of STL all over the place and many areas cross it. It is like $20 for a family permit per year. Better safe than sorry. As to specific trails, various different 4x4 websites cover a lot of trails in AZ. Looking through past trip reports, the ones with pictures at least, can help you find plenty of interesting trails. There are also a few books out there that detail trails. This one is a pretty good one:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Guide-to-Arizona-Backroads-and-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/Charles-A-Wells/e/9780966497632?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Guide%20to%20Arizona%20Backroads%20and%204%20Wheel%20Drive%20Trails-_-9780966497632

You can also post up on the AZ LOST section here, or on AZVJC that you want to go out wheelin' and describe how difficult of a trail you want to run, and more than likely you can get someone to go out with you and show you different trails. Good way to meet new folks and learn different areas and trails.

Also, it may sound like common sense, but always be responsible when out on the trails. Don't go off trail, don't throw garbage everywhere, follow common trail ettiquete, and try to leave no trace. The enviromentalists and the .gov are coming down hard and closing and proposing to close a lot of land to OHV in AZ.

Hopefully that helps a little.

So when do you want to run the backway to Crown King? I'm always down for that trail! :JEEPIN: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

eyehatetofu wrote:
There are a ton of trails around here. Knowing which one your on and what land agency controls the land the trail is on can be difficult. So if you plan to be out an about, I would recommend picking up a State Trust Land permit. There are tons of little patches of STL all over the place and many areas cross it. It is like $20 for a family permit per year. Better safe than sorry. As to specific trails, various different 4x4 websites cover a lot of trails in AZ. Looking through past trip reports, the ones with pictures at least, can help you find plenty of interesting trails. There are also a few books out there that detail trails. This one is a pretty good one:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Guide-to-Arizona-Backroads-and-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/Charles-A-Wells/e/9780966497632?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Guide%20to%20Arizona%20Backroads%20and%204%20Wheel%20Drive%20Trails-_-9780966497632

You can also post up on the AZ LOST section here, or on AZVJC that you want to go out wheelin' and describe how difficult of a trail you want to run, and more than likely you can get someone to go out with you and show you different trails. Good way to meet new folks and learn different areas and trails.

Also, it may sound like common sense, but always be responsible when out on the trails. Don't go off trail, don't throw garbage everywhere, follow common trail ettiquete, and try to leave no trace. The enviromentalists and the .gov are coming down hard and closing and proposing to close a lot of land to OHV in AZ.

So when do you want to run the backway to Crown King? I'm always down for that trail! :JEEPIN: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info! Very helpful! I actually just sent in for the STL permit just to avoid the fine if pass is needed. I've heard about the backway to Crown King saw some pics and wasnt sure if a stock vehicle would make it but I would definitly be willing to try it!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

eyehatetofu wrote:

Thanks for the info! Very helpful! I actually just sent in for the STL permit just to avoid the fine if pass is needed. I've heard about the backway to Crown King saw some pics and wasnt sure if a stock vehicle would make it but I would definitly be willing to try it!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm 
LOST Member

i have not been on the backroad to crown king in a couple years but when i was on it last stock would make it with some scraping. i heard it got rougher but not sure on that one. my 2 favorite trails are trails you would have no problem with as they are scenic are the senator highway and rim road. if you are in it for the challenge those may not be the best but they are great trails to get to a cooler area and experience the woods and catch some great views.

Arizona Pinstriping, and desert dust custom paint overlay ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The last time I was on the crown king backway trail last year it was not suitable for a stock liberty. I understand the forest service has graded the road since then and it is quite passable now. Haven't run it myself but have seen pictures on other forums. Nature has a way of returning things to it's normal chaos though in due time

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Saw some pics of backway to crown king looked rough but I guess the only way to find out is to try!! I've been up to rim road been camping out on one of the forest service roads... it was definitely a great drive!