It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tires, A journey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:21 am 
LOST Newbie

It's time for tires and I'm looking at 245/75 r16 for size but I am having a really tough time when it comes to deciding which brand/make of tire I want. I'm hoping a little discussion will help, and perhaps someone else may benefit from my experience.

I started off at Les Schwab on my way home from work last week, just stopping by because I've always bought my tires there in the past, seemed like a good place to start doing my homework. I gave them the size I was looking for (either 245/75 or 265/70) they wrote me up a quote for the Toyo Open Country MT 265/70's that included charges of $3.50ea for valve stems? Grand totall for 4 tires, valve stems, mounting and balancing and sales tax came to $1,027 and change! Crazyness...

So after a few choice words expressing my disapointment, I headed to the next store on my way home which happened to be Goodyear. I had heard a few good things about the MT/R and wanted to check them out. I spoke with the manager, a very nice guy, told him about my experience with L.S. and he said "No problem" offering to get me into the MET/R's for $200 a tire and that they always include the valve stems for free. So mounted, balanced, all said and done $850 out the door... after the Schwabbing earlier this didn't sound that bad but I still wanted to check around (and this is why it pays to do your homework)...

The next day I got ahold of a friend of mine who manages a local Discount Tire. I told him my tire tale and he promptly laughed, shook his head at the L.S. quote in disbelief, then laughed some more. (After quite a bit of homework on my part I've become fairly certain that I want either the Goodyear's or the BFG MT, but I'm still torn as to which is going to be the better tire for me) My friend at Discount looked up the Goodyear tires and informed me that for that size, retail price is $146... ... A HUNDRED AND FOURTY SIX BUCKS!!! remember a few lines ago when the nice man was going to get them to me for $200 a piece? Anyways, so my buddy being the friend that he is said $150 a piece including everything (mounting, balancing, and tax) Which is fantastic news, I love saving money! ... One catch... Goodyear is on strike, everybody is having problems getting the tires in. It's been a week and we're still not sure of a ETA for the tires coming in, and in case you don't live in the NW, it's snowing. Around my house it's snowing a lot, and I have the original factory tires on my rig with about 70k on em... not fun, but I digress.

So the point of my problem is, I can get the BFG's and be on down the road, or I can wait for the Goodyear's.
I was curious if anybody had any insight that may help me make up my mind, and like I said hopefully someone can benefit from my experience with this.
So if you have an opinion on the matter let me know, please.

245/75/16 BFG MT on stock steels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I priced REVOS at Discount, Sears and Les Schwab a couple of months ago (BFG had a sale going) and the Toyos were over $100 less for a set of 5. I think your Les Scwab guy was figuring wrong. My woute was around $650 on a set of 5 Toyos.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 am 
LOST Addict

It seems you are looking for a MT tire but I was quoted about $475 for 5 General Grabber AT2's mounted balanced etc, in stock 225/75/16 size at Wal-mart. The 245/70's were $8 dollars more a tire but I am not sure about the 245/75's. The AT2s are a special order, but dont let them tell you they cant get them. They are towards the back of the Continental book.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:07 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Skip the BFG's...mine ate them up in about 30K w/ regular rotations...
I run Toyos now... but then again, I don't pay for them. Goodyears latsed forever on my TJ.

Used to have: 02 Rene w/ SFA Swap. Sold... I'll miss her
New Baby is an 07 1500 Dodge HEMI
6" Lift and lots O Go Fast parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I know these are old posts.......but I work at Costo in Salem, We deal in Michelin and BFG. Never forget about Costco if thinking of BFG's. Most warehouses however can only install stock sizes, as in whats posted on your door placard! But you can either bring in a set of wheels, or just buy the tire and have another place install them. Either way the tires are a HECK of alot cheaper than other retailers..... We can even get the new BFG Mud Terrain K/M2's! Our sizes (things that will fit the stock or lightly moded K/J's) won't be released untill Phase 2 of production (2008) though, and aren't too much more than the K/M's

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
I still work there so if you want prices let me know the size and load rating you want and I can get you then installed and carry our prices!

Nice thing is that the prices are the same where ever you go, and you still get all the warranty's, they just can't work on the Jeep if the tires are oversized.

Anyhow.....Hope that helps!!! :lol: :wink: :D

Hella 500's
Kenwood Deck
2 JL Audio 8"s
MTX Thunder Amp
Infinity In the Doors
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2942153