It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick FS Road Run
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Did an exploratory run up around Amicalola Falls State Park on Sunday (similar to what Jbzhow did around New Years).

Took GA-400 up to Dahlonaga and the GA-52 West (we have tried GA-53 West through Dawsonville to GA-136 and found it to be a pain).

We were looking for a better way to Springer Mtn than going GA-52 way past Amicalola Falls State Park to Roy Rd. to FS42.

We took the Nimblewill Gap route -- Nimblewill Rd. to FS28-1 to FS77 then left on FS42 coming from the other direction. This was lots of fun and without any mud on it could probably be done by any vehicle with AWD or a 2WD light truck with enough clearence. If you are trying this on a rainy day, you would defintely need the 4WD.

We came back out FS42 (though next time we are up we want to explore FS665, which is season closed right now and see where it goes) and turned onto Roy Rd. trying to find the 'Newbicon Trail' (Old Bucktown Rd.) entrance to the closed Anderson Creek OHV area. We did not find this but we did find the closed FS357 entrance.

We continued down Old Bucktown Rd. looking for FS28-2 to cut through, but could not find it (too many private drives and new construction), so we will have to come back up next time and try it from the other end where we know it comes out .

All in all, a good time. Forgot to bring a camera or GPS (both would have helped). Next time. :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: Sunday 4/20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:41 am 
LOST Newbie

RockLobster's been bugging to wheel his new Rubi and I've got nothing tomorrow so we'd thought we'd try to find some place to ride N of Atl. Maybe up in the Dawson WMA. Anyone else game? -JB

Balls Big As Grapefruit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

Sorry, I was out of town for the weekend. Did you go? Weather was nice. :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

We had a good time searching around the hills for some decent riding close to ATL. We went through Dawson WMA Atlanta tract and found a berm obstacle that RockLobster(MikeR) just had to try...and got stuck...twice...on the way in and once on the way back out. The other guy with us Tyrone was in a Defender and he made it over no prob. I got over it just fine but we had to pull RL both ways. His Unlimited Rubi wheelbase was too much and he kept high centering. Anyway we also went up and down AmicololaMt Rd and went through the mud holes and down the rocky road to Nimblewell and back out to the pavement & Dawsonville. Left at 10am back in town grilling my RIBEYE by 5:30. Oh yeah, and when Mike decided to go for the photo op through the deepest of the mud holes he shoulda remembered either to go slow or close his top. Oh well, it's broke in now, by golly! My KJ went like a champ and then still hit 88mph on the Alpharetta Autobahn.
I'm ready to go again.
Let's do Beasley.

Balls Big As Grapefruit.

Last edited by jbzhow on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Amicalola
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Or however you spell it. We went in through the gate off GA52. You don't have to pay $3 unless you're going to park,.. and we had no intention of doing any parking.

Balls Big As Grapefruit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:00 pm 
LOST Addict

jbzhow wrote:
I'm ready to go again.
Let's do Beasley.

I'd be interested in you showing me the Dawson WMA stuff.

Have you done Beasley yet? My imprssion from what I have read is that it might be out of the league of a KJ but I am not sure.

I am dealing with a suspension alignment problem right now and am planning on going up to Windrock OHV for a pre-run over Memorial Day weekend with the Mid-West LOST folks, but yeah, we need to find some time to run. :)

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4