It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: There are TONS of KJs here in Athens...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

...and 90+% of them are 4x2s that are driven my very cute, young coeds... :D

Heck, I saw a very nice 4x4 CRD Limited today that had all kinds of bike racks , and other attachments, on it, that was driven by a young woman, that once I got beside it, I realized that it had probably never even SEEN a dirt road... :lol: :? :P

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: Re: There are TONS of KJs here in Athens...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:32 pm 
LOST Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:

...now i must definitely visit you....to install some hockey pucks that is... :twisted:

2002 Liberty Sport ---> SOLD :(

For Sale: Skid Row transmission skid plate and rear headrests

ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:24 pm 
LOST Addict

ChiroKJ wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:

...now i must definitely visit you....to install some hockey pucks that is... :twisted:

LOL There you go!!! :lol:

I was thinking that, like some of the other local sections, we need to do a quarterly "Meet & Greet/Project Day". My old place in Clarkston would have been perfect. The rental house here in Athens, not so much (no garage, and the drive way and street are at serious angles!!!).

I have been asking around about rental garage space and if I find such that may be a temporary answer.

Or somebody else can volunteer to host the first one... :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you gathered up all those young ladies and brought them along I'm sure SOMEBODY would offer a place! :lol:

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
If you gathered up all those young ladies and brought them along I'm sure SOMEBODY would offer a place! :lol:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Good Point!!! :D

I'll see what I can do... :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 am 
LOST Member

ill even offer to drive a few of them... :lol:

2002 Liberty Sport ---> SOLD :(

For Sale: Skid Row transmission skid plate and rear headrests

ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE

Post subject: Hunh.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:46 pm 
LOST Addict

So I had an interesting conversation the other day with a young woman from Mississippi who is a junior colleague (MPH candidate) in the Public Health program that I am starting my doctorate here at UGA, and we got onto the subject of Jeeps.

Turns out that she comes from a family of Jeep owners, and that when they sent her to college, they wanted to send her to school with a brand of vehicle that they all knew and loved. So they went and bought her a Liberty. But they bought her a 4x2 model.

Their rationale was that, "They did not want her to be tempted to try and go some place that she did not need to be trying to go."

I wonder if this is a common experience and goes to explain why so many of the KJs found in the South are 4x2s and so many are driven by women.

Just kind of one of those "hunh"-things worth pondering...

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

Post subject: Re: Hunh.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
I wonder if this is a common experience and goes to explain why so many of the KJs found in the South are 4x2s and so many are driven by women.

Could it possibly be that the KJ was "recomended" by Consumer Reports, gets good gas mileage, is small and maneuverable for the narrow roads in an old college town like Athens and the dirt roads in the mountains of North GA, is "cute", being a Jeep apeals to the Southern "redneck girl" mentality, and a 4X2 is priced right for daddy to get his little "redneck girl" for college? I know my daughter wanted a Wrangler but balked at the price and opted for a CRV instead.
Personally I bought mine because it was recomended by Consumer Reports, gets good gas mileage, is small and maneuverable for the narrow roads in an old college town like Athens and the dirt roads in the mountains of North GA, is "cute", being a Jeep appealed to my Southern "redneck boy" mentality, and the 4X4 was priced right for me to get and modify for off-roading. (Didn't I just say that? :? )
In my limited experience the Liberty is narrower, shorter and more maneuverable than the Wrangler and can do things some tricked-out Wranglers can't. I love it.

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Could it possibly be that the KJ was "recomended" by Consumer Reports, gets good gas mileage, is small and maneuverable for the narrow roads in an old college town like Athens and the dirt roads in the mountains of North GA, is "cute", being a Jeep apeals to the Southern "redneck girl" mentality, and a 4X2 is priced right for daddy to get his little "redneck girl" for college? I know my daughter wanted a Wrangler but balked at the price and opted for a CRV instead.
Personally I bought mine because it was recomended by Consumer Reports, gets good gas mileage, is small and maneuverable for the narrow roads in an old college town like Athens and the dirt roads in the mountains of North GA, is "cute", being a Jeep appealed to my Southern "redneck boy" mentality, and the 4X4 was priced right for me to get and modify for off-roading. (Didn't I just say that? :? )
In my limited experience the Liberty is narrower, shorter and more maneuverable than the Wrangler and can do things some tricked-out Wranglers can't. I love it.

You said a lot here that I agree with and may very well be on the right track. Some additional thoughts:

It creates a high and upright seating position that allows for good visibility. I know a number of shorter women and men who have commented on that when the rode in my KJ.

On the issue of the small and maneuverable, I have to agree. I did Tellico in 2007 as part of the Jeep Jamboree there. The KJ would go places and make turns much easier than the other 4-door Jeeps (JK Unlimiteds, ZJs, and XJs) that we were riding the trails with and at least as good as the stock TJs and YJs as well.

Plus they look Cool!!!!! :lol:

I have to disagree with the mileage statement though. My 3.7L 4x4 AT KJ gets an EPA combined mileage (new formula) of 17MPG which qualifies it for CARS. :shock: That is horrible!!!!

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
I have to disagree with the mileage statement though. My 3.7L 4x4 AT KJ gets an EPA combined mileage (new formula) of 17MPG which qualifies it for CARS. :shock: That is horrible!!!!

When I first bought my '06 sport 4X4 3.7L it got an honest 26 mpg from here to Augusta, GA and back. It probably gets 20 -22 now with the extra weight of skid plates, tow hooks, shackle and because of age. Your right, if yours is 18 that's bad. Maybe all your mods (tires, etc.) has affected the mileage? :wink:

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:20 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:

When I first bought my '06 sport 4X4 3.7L it got an honest 26 mpg from here to Augusta, GA and back. It probably gets 20 -22 now with the extra weight of skid plates, tow hooks, shackle and because of age. Your right, if yours is 18 that's bad. Maybe all your mods (tires, etc.) has affected the mileage? :wink:

Oh, I wish it was 18 MPG. Driving in-town in ATL, I was lucky to get 15 MPG and the best I ever got on the highway was 21.5 MPG, but then again, yes, I probably have about an extra 1,000 lbs of GVW over stock. That is the price we pay for armor... :lol:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
I probably have about an extra 1,000 lbs of GVW over stock. That is the price we pay for armor... :lol:

Well worth the price. Besides, you get what you pay for. :D Speaking of which, I finally got my lift done..KILLER!! The son and I took Sat./Sun to do the front and did the rear on Tues. (had to take a day of leave). We had a blast and now have a huge sense of accomplishment. It was another great bonding experience that we'll tell his children, my grandchildren about some day (if I'm lucky). :wink: Here's a before and after.

before

after

I'll post some pictures later of a few tricks I learned that may help another '06 owner.
John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:35 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:
I probably have about an extra 1,000 lbs of GVW over stock. That is the price we pay for armor... :lol:

Well worth the price. Besides, you get what you pay for. :D Speaking of which, I finally got my lift done..KILLER!! The son and I took Sat./Sun to do the front and did the rear on Tues. (had to take a day of leave). We had a blast and now have a huge sense of accomplishment. It was another great bonding experience that we'll tell his children, my grandchildren about some day (if I'm lucky). :wink: Here's a before and after.

Awesome looking, John!!!! There is only one problem,... it is too clean???? :wink: :lol: :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Awesome looking, John!!!! There is only one problem,... it is too clean???? :wink: :lol: :D

That's what happens when you don't make time to go wheelin'. I quess I could blame it on the thunder shower that popped up just before the lift. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Cobolt-60 wrote:

Heck, I saw a very nice 4x4 CRD Limited today that had all kinds of bike racks , and other attachments, on it, that was driven by a young woman, that once I got beside it, I realized that it had probably never even SEEN a dirt road... :lol: :? :P

Ahh, college towns. It's been a while but I still miss the "landscaping".

2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L PSD 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GeorgiaX wrote:

Yes. It's especially fine during "rush". A ride down Milledge Ave., where most of the Sororities are, can be very distracting. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
GeorgiaX wrote:

Yes. It's especially fine during "rush". A ride down Milledge Ave., where most of the Sororities are, can be very distracting. :twisted:

I did that last week. All I have to say is, "Oh, my..."

And also drove by the basket ball arena one morning while the cheerleaders were doing bends and squats. :shock:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
jhblackwell wrote:
GeorgiaX wrote:

I did that last week. All I have to say is, "Oh, my..."

And also drove by the basket ball arena one morning while the cheerleaders were doing bends and squats. :shock:

Welcome to Athens. Gotta love it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Dropped the KJ off at the dealership here in Athens, and saw a young woman drive in with a White KJ Sport 4x4, but did not get a chance to chat-her-up since my ride showed up at that exact moment. :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Dropped the KJ off at the dealership here in Athens, and saw a young woman drive in with a White KJ Sport 4x4, but did not get a chance to chat-her-up since my ride showed up at that exact moment. :wink:

Colin,
I forgot to mention when you were here last Sat. that the week before I saw a blue KJ that looked a whole lot like yours, tires, lift, etc. but it had a safari basket. It was stopped at the side of the road by the elem. school in High Shoals as I rode by on my scoot so I turned around to see if it was you and it was a young lady on her cell phone. The KJ didn't have "Blue Bunny" on it so I went on. Very interesting.
John