It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: suggestions anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm 
LOST Member

I want to take the family on a week trip to georgia.

any mountains or lodges with nice views, maybe i could even take the liberty. The kids have not ever seen mountains up close.

'89 yj S.B.C., 700r4, np231, 8.8 rear end w/ yukon 4:10 gears. to many add ons to list

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check here: http://georgiagetaway.com/

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And here: http://www.whitepathlodge.com/rates-policies.html
And remember..."We're glad you've got Georgia on your mind" :D

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:18 am 
LOST Addict

Actually, the official Georgia Tourist Guide site isn't bad if you know the area that you are going to be in:

http://www.georgiatouristguide.com/

Also check out the Forest Service Road map links in the OHV area post at the top of the section... :)

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: vacation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:38 am 
LOST Member

taking the family and kk to helen georgia for a week to enjoy octoberfest...

hopeing to do some fly fishing..water rafting.. and see some nice waterfalss, hopefully even do some wheeling........

any suggestions would be nice and appreciated..

'89 yj S.B.C., 700r4, np231, 8.8 rear end w/ yukon 4:10 gears. to many add ons to list

Post subject: Re: vacation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:16 am 
LOST Addict

hiram wrote:
taking the family and kk to helen georgia for a week to enjoy octoberfest...

hopeing to do some fly fishing..water rafting.. and see some nice waterfalss, hopefully even do some wheeling........

any suggestions would be nice and appreciated..

You are close to Beasley Knob in Helen:

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/ohv/beasley.shtml

This is the only really good Forest Service OHV still in North Georgia (this closes when it rains)

Also check out the Forest Service Road maps site here for more scenic drives:

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/maps/mvum/

If you would like a short day hike, do the trail from Helen to the Unicoi Lodge and then on to Anna Ruby Falls. :)

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: tips
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am 
LOST Member

thanks for all the info fellow jeepers. i am booked and ready for late october and the family is excited. has anyone ever heard of a mountain that has a waterfall inside of it? i would like to go their while i am in the area.

Post subject: Re: tips
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 am 
LOST Addict

hiram wrote:
thanks for all the info fellow jeepers. i am booked and ready for late october and the family is excited. has anyone ever heard of a mountain that has a waterfall inside of it? i would like to go their while i am in the area.

Do you mean underground? If so, no I don't know which one that is. But you are going to be near Raven Cliffs where you look down on the waterfall.

Anybody else have any ideas?

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hiram wrote:
has anyone ever heard of a mountain that has a waterfall inside of it? i would like to go their while i am in the area.

Ruby Falls, inside Lookout Mountain may be what you're talking about. Check it out at http://www.rubyfalls.com/ Be careful while in N. GA. You just might get "smitten" and want to move up here. :wink:

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
hiram wrote:
has anyone ever heard of a mountain that has a waterfall inside of it? i would like to go their while i am in the area.

Ruby Falls, inside Lookout Mountain may be what you're talking about. Check it out at http://www.rubyfalls.com/ Be careful while in N. GA. You just might get "smitten" and want to move up here. :wink:

Ah, yes, in Chattanooga (along with Lookout Mountain and Rock City), TN, not actually in GA. Some of these are kind of "kitschy", though by no means not worth the time if you happen to be there, but kind of in the wrong direction if you are in Helen, GA (Google Maps says 3 hrs through the Cherokee NF on US-19/64/74 and I believe it, or all the way back down to ATL then I-285 to I-75) -- kind of a "can't get there from here" situation.

If I was going through Chattanooga with the family, I would want to spend a few days there (The Aquarium, IMAX, Ruby Falls, Rock City, Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga Choo Choo, the Incline Railroad, plus a bunch or galleries, museums, places to eat, and river cruises).

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 am 
LOST Member

ruby falls, that was it. thanks guys looks llike i will have to take another trip to tn. sometime.

oh yeah i will be looking for some property up their. it just looks so peacefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 am 
LOST Newbie

While up in that area visit Cloudland Canyon State Park or even DeSoto State Park in Alabama. Nice parks with plenty to see...

:D

2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L PSD 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

GeorgiaX wrote:
While up in that area visit Cloudland Canyon State Park or even DeSoto State Park in Alabama. Nice parks with plenty to see...

:D

GeorgiaX, where have you been hiding for the past year? There are other boards here besides the CRD one, ya know? :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Some of these are kind of "kitschy"

O.K. Colin, what the h#ll is "kitschy"? I'm so confused !?! :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:29 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:
Some of these are kind of "kitschy"

O.K. Colin, what the h#ll is "kitschy"? I'm so confused !?! :?

Quote:
Adj. 1. kitschy - effusively or insincerely emotional; "a bathetic novel"; "maudlin expressions of sympathy"; "mushy effusiveness"; "a schmaltzy song"; "sentimental soap operas"; "slushy poetry"
hokey, maudlin, mawkish, schmaltzy, schmalzy, bathetic, sentimental, slushy, soppy, soupy, mushy, drippy
emotional
- of more than usual emotion; "his behavior was highly emotional"

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Adj. 1. kitschy - effusively or insincerely emotional; "a bathetic novel"; "maudlin expressions of sympathy"; "mushy effusiveness"; "a schmaltzy song"; "sentimental soap operas"; "slushy poetry"
hokey, maudlin, mawkish, schmaltzy, schmalzy, bathetic, sentimental, slushy, soppy, soupy, mushy, drippy
emotional
[/quote]

Ah, yes. Derived from the German "Kitsch", n., meaning "gaudy trash", derived from the dialectal "kitschen", to smear. So says Websters 2nd College Edition. Gotta love it :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:29 am 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Quote:
emotional

Ah, yes. Derived from the German "Kitsch", n., meaning "gaudy trash", derived from the dialectal "kitschen", to smear. So says Websters 2nd College Edition. Gotta love it :wink:[/quote]

Should have probably just said "hokey", huh? :wink: :lol:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:

That may have been better. Just remember that most folks down here are of Scots-Irish decent and aren't up on the East European/Germanic/Nordic euphemisms. Add to that the long association with Africans and we have a dialect all our own that we "tote" around (Derived from the Kongo "tota", to pick up). It ain't no thang :wink: :lol: (gotta love it)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:59 am 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:

That may have been better. Just remember that most folks down here are of Scots-Irish decent and aren't up on the East European/Germanic/Nordic euphemisms. Add to that the long association with Africans and we have a dialect all our own that we "tote" around (Derived from the Kongo "tota", to pick up). It ain't no thang :wink: :lol: (gotta love it)

And the funny thing is, I have spent more than 1/2 my life in the South now (Charlotte, NC, Tallahassee, FL, and Atlanta, GA) and have traveled all over the State (and worked doing community work in the AA-community), as well as spending most of my summers growing up in the Western NC mountains, but I guess something are ingrained from youth... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is VERY interesting to find out about the derivation of "tote". I wouldn't have suspected that one... :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
That is VERY interesting to find out about the derivation of "tote". I wouldn't have suspected that one... :D

I learned that in a derivations class here at UGA back in '75. Websters New World Dictionary, 2nd College Edition was our text book (that's the dictionary I'm quoting out of). At first I dreaded the thought of going to class but it turned out to be most interesting and I learned a lot...go figure. :roll: