It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USFS is getting sneaky about the GA ORV areas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 am 
LOST Addict

So, I was going through the links this evening as I was updating the Georgia U.S. Forest Service (USFS) Off-Road Vehicle (OEV) area links since they changed their website.

The link for the Rock Creek & Tatum Lead ORV area only provides information about the Rock Creek ORV Trail (for motorcycles and ATVs only) and fails to mention that the Tatum Lead ORV Trail is open to 4x4s only that "Rock Creek connects with Tatum Lead ORV Trail."

However, if one goes to the 2010 Conasauga District Recreation Summary, it is clear that Tatum Lead OHV Trail is listed for use by 4x4s also.

An "omission" from the 2010 Conasauga District Recreation Summary is that Rocky Flats OHV Trail is not listed on the printable PDF even though it is part of that ranger district. Also when we go to the homepage of the Rocky Flats OHV Trail we see that that the trail is "SUITABLE FOR - ORVs and ATVs." but only lists "ATV, Motorcycle" under "Class of Vehicle". There are conflicting reports about to whether this is posted as "no 4x4s" or not. As of 2005, Rocky Flats was supposedly still open to 4x4s, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the USFS changed the designation on this without telling anyone or holding a public hearing.

From what I have read this supposed to be a fairly boring 4.4 mile trail in and then turn around, but the fact that it is one less FS trail that we are allowed to take 4x4s on in GA just irks me...!!! :evil:

On my way back from the ECS in Oct, I'll swing by Rocky Flats and make a first hand determination as to how it is posted.

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: Re: USFS is getting sneaky about the GA ORV areas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here is current information from

Diana Mullen
Conasauga Ranger District
3941 Hwy 76
Chatsworth, GA 30705
706-695-6736 Ext. 0
dlmullen@fs.fed.us
http://www.fs.usda.gov/conf

REGARDING TATUM LEAD:

Quote:
Tatum Lead is still open for 4x4 vehicles. The first two miles of this road coming off GA highway 52 are through private land, so you must drive a licensed vehicle until you reach national forest land (red blaze).

Also, I have noticed that some websites show the trail closed January through March, but this trail is open year-round. For more information on this and other recreation areas on the Chattahoochee Oconee National Forest, you can access our website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/conf.

REGARDING ROCKY FLATS:

Quote:
You are correct that the Rocky Flats information does not mention that you can drive full sized vehicles, but you are allowed to do so on that trail as well. Apologies for that information being left off. We are currently working on all the recreation information on our website to bring everything up to date. Rocky Flats is also a year-round trail.

The Tatum Lead Trail description does mention being suitable for 4x4 vehicles (see the box below). This information is available by clicking the plus sign on that page beside OHV Trail Riding, but again, as we continue to update, that will be more readily seen at the top of the page.

I checked the Motor Vehicle Use Maps, and the description under "Seasonal and Special Vehicle Descriptions" for both Rocky Flats (630-D) and Tatum Lead (631) say that they are open to all vehicles except tracked.