It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Georgia LOST Winter Forest Service Road Run 2010-11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:29 pm 
LOST Addict

This is the first announcement for the 2010-11 Georgia LOST Winter FS Road Run.

The ideas is to get LOST members (and friends, family and supporters) to get together and do a FS winter road run around Springer Mountain. bordering Amicalola Falls State Park (and around the old closed Anderson Creek OHV area).

Suggestions for when people would be most likely to make such an event between December 21, 2010 (the first day of winter) and January 4, 2011 (when most students have to be back in school) are welcome.

The proposed route can be found at Google Maps here

Total distance is just under 40 miles.

Suggestions have also been made for all involved to go for a warm dinner and socializing after in the LOST fashion before heading back home.

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Post subject: Re: Georgia LOST Winter Forest Service Road Run 2010-11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm up for it. The dates do accomodate students, but a lot of people are off visiting kin-folk for the holidays. That might inhibit participation. Also, is there a chance some of the roads would be closed because of weather?

I'd like to make a scouting run up there soon, just to check it out. If there is anyone else so inclined let me know when you want to go.
John

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

That is the joy of most of the FS Roads (as opposed to the USFS OHV Areas)... Unless they are under repair or totally covered in snow they are generally open all year long. :JEEPIN:

I am too busy with school, Thanksgiving, and stuff with Pam and the girls until after Dec. 6 to scout it out with you... :juggle:

But I am sure there are other local LOST members who are looking to step up... :D

Where was the place that Dan wanted to go for dinner after?

Heck, I'm game for 12/25 or 1/1 but I realize most are not... :-)r

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Heck, I'm game for 12/25 or 1/1 but I realize most are not... :-)r

Remember what I said about "SACRIFICE"? I'm working on year 38 and have dues to pay. :cry:

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
Remember what I said about "SACRIFICE"? I'm working on year 38 and have dues to pay. :cry:

Oh, I firmly expect I will have similar dues to pay this year, but that is part of the reason for it being a "family" outing... :wink:

Besides be proud of the 38 years... That is quite an accomplishment... :mrgreen:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmm 7hr drive...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DirtyKK wrote:
Hmm 7hr drive...

We could start a "convoy"! I'll bet Bub would be interested in going too! :BANANA:

Terry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:04 am 
LOST Member

4:30 hour drive for me.

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:09 am 
LOST Addict

Has anyone ever run this trail before and are there pics? I would be down for a convoy! Just dont want to waste my time and gas money if its only gonna be a mediocre trail and only 5 Jeeps cause I can do that every day of the week here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:52 am 
LOST Member

Good point.
I would rather push my luck with you guys at eggland. :evil: I would more then likely get my @ss into trouble there tho.

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

mag03kj wrote:
Good point.
I would rather push my luck with you guys at eggland. :evil: I would more then likely get my @ss into trouble there tho.

alot of the trails on Eglin are just that, trails. alot of it has no purpose for 4wd but there are soft spots of sand and some stuff on the trails that you could potentially get into trouble with 2wd. the good climbing stuff is mostly not on the trail but youre not technically suppose to be off the "marked roads" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:03 pm 
LOST Addict

It is not a "Trail" per se but a series of Forest Service Roads that we have strung together to make an excuse to meet and see each other over the holidays. FS-77 and FS-42 are two of the roads that go from the main highway (GA-52) up Springer Mountain. This area is well known by hikers since it leads to the Southern Trailhead of the AT (see the link to day hiking, and some general photos, here) and also by mountain bikers who regularly travel this route.

FS-77 is possible to do with a 2WD with good clearance, or a stock 4WD with skid-plates, in dry weather... During the winter months with the potential for mud or ice... who knows... :wink:

FS-42 is a dirt road that is scenic and of no difficulty to anything that is not actually a "car"...

But the area is beautiful and we hope with the leaves off the visibility should be very good too... :D

Honestly, any and all LOST members, friends and family are welcome, but be forewarned that if you are coming from a distance for true "wheeling" you should really look into Beasley Knob (one of only two USFS OHV areas still in GA) and remember that it is closed from 1/1 to 3/31 every year for the winter... :JEEPIN:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
if you are coming from a distance for true "wheeling" you should really look into Beasley Knob (one of only two USFS OHV areas still in GA) and remember that it is closed from 1/1 to 3/31 every year for the winter... :JEEPIN:

I will be doing Beasley Knob this Sunday with a bunch of local Jeep folks (mostly Wranglers) and hope to get info and pictures to post. They do the Knob regularly and may be willing to lead an event for us. I'll keep ya'll posted.
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can get us some people together and I have pics from Tray Mountain and Amicalola Falls. Both are, at best, unmaintained forest service roads. Tray is fun when it snows. I will shoot John some pics of these trails for you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If any of you Georgia folks can, I would like to scout Nimblewill, Amicalola, Tray or any other suggested N.Ga. Forest Service rds. that some of ya'll may want to check out this coming weekend, 10/23-24, and I really don't need to do it alone (safety, etc.). Let me know a.s.a.p. if you want to head north.
John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Went to Nimblewill/Amicalola last weekend, 10/31, and located FS 28-2 at Nimblewill Church and High Shoals Rd. at Amicalola Falls State Park. Today I went to the University of Georgia Map Library (interesting place with interesting people) and got a copy of the three USGS 7.5 min. quad maps that cover that area (I hope :? ). They all have grid coordinates and show some 4wd trails, especially the '97 maps. I hope to study them and compare them to the map Colin posted and make a run sometime before Thanksgiving. If anyone is interested in a day trip let me know.
John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

jhblackwell wrote:
Went to Nimblewill/Amicalola last weekend, 10/31, and located FS 28-2 at Nimblewill Church and High Shoals Rd. at Amicalola Falls State Park. Today I went to the University of Georgia Map Library (interesting place with interesting people) and got a copy of the three USGS 7.5 min. quad maps that cover that area (I hope :? ). They all have grid coordinates and show some 4wd trails, especially the '97 maps. I hope to study them and compare them to the map Colin posted and make a run sometime before Thanksgiving. If anyone is interested in a day trip let me know.
John

John, is the professor still working downstairs in the map room? You would know him because he looked like the proffesor from "Back to the Future."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stephenfarris wrote:
John, is the professor still working downstairs in the map room? You would know him because he looked like the proffesor from "Back to the Future."

Yes. He was the one that located and copied the maps for me...and was the "interesting" person I mentioned. I forget his name, but he lives in the Calls Creek S.D. in Watkinsville. When I walked in he was at a large table piecing together hundreds of old 4" x 6" black and white aerial photos from the 40's and 50's into one large "poster"...kind of like a jigsaw puzzle. How is it you know about him?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

jhblackwell wrote:
stephenfarris wrote:

Yes. He was the one that located and copied the maps for me...and was the "interesting" person I mentioned. I forget his name, but he lives in the Calls Creek S.D. in Watkinsville. When I walked in he was at a large table piecing together hundreds of old 4" x 6" black and white aerial photos from the 40's and 50's into one large "poster"...kind of like a jigsaw puzzle. How is it you know about him?

I know everybody as Corinne says :roll:

I have a degree in Landscape Architecture and spent time down in the map room looking at maps for projects when I was in school there. We had to do land-use analysis maps on some projects. We also had to look at old aerial maps from time to time(old roads, cemeteries, and such). That's also how I found all of the good curvy roads to ride motorcycles on back in the day! He was in that basement when I was in school and I always thought that he was kinda strange looking but he knows his doo doo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

So when are we going to put together this ride John? We need to plan a ride somewhere for Nov.