It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlanta, transmission codes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry that I am not a shade tree mechanic..but I do love my 2005 CRD and have had the engine rebuilt by my son in law in Valdosta and he did a great job. Could not find anyone in Atlanta who could do it, broken rockers and lots of other issues. Now I have found a good mechanic and just had my CEL come one, codes read...speed sensor and another one that started with under..something and a lot of transmission codes. There is a rough shift in gears that has started going from 30 mph to higher..he does not do transmission work..he is talking about a new transmission may be needed...I have reviewed this forum at length and see that may not be true, there are other problems that seem to affect the transmission. I need to find someone who can go through the common issues and then if needed maybe order and install a rebuilt transmission or even rebuild it themselves?? What have you all done when you had similar issues?? What transmission shops can do this??

Post subject: Re: Atlanta, transmission codes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:25 pm 

mary wrote:
Sorry that I am not a shade tree mechanic..but I do love my 2005 CRD and have had the engine rebuilt by my son in law in Valdosta and he did a great job. Could not find anyone in Atlanta who could do it, broken rockers and lots of other issues. Now I have found a good mechanic and just had my CEL come one, codes read...speed sensor and another one that started with under..something and a lot of transmission codes. There is a rough shift in gears that has started going from 30 mph to higher..he does not do transmission work..he is talking about a new transmission may be needed...I have reviewed this forum at length and see that may not be true, there are other problems that seem to affect the transmission. I need to find someone who can go through the common issues and then if needed maybe order and install a rebuilt transmission or even rebuild it themselves?? What have you all done when you had similar issues?? What transmission shops can do this??

Where are you located in GA.?
I have a personal friend who owns and runs a local transmission shop here in town who is a super good honest person and he and his employees do excellent work.
He has done work on several of my vehicles transmissions over the years along with quite a few friends to whom I have sent to him including my 05 Jeep CRD.
He is well qualified in all transmissions and he stands behind his work. He and his family have been in this business for decades and is well respected in this town.

I trust him emphatically when it comes to automatic transmissions issues and repairs. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Atlanta, transmission codes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:14 pm 
LOST Member

mary wrote:

Oh my, this brings back memories. The speed sensor circuit is tied into the temp sensor circuit. If that circuit fails then you will get speed sensor codes, temp sensor codes and the generic P0700 tranmission fault code. The transmission will go into limp mode and will kick like a mule just putting it into drive or reverse. Also the torque converter will never lock up. I spent months on this problem only to finally find grounding out wires in the harness near the A/C accumulator on the passenger side firewall.

Depending on how many original miles are on the transmission a re-manufactured transmission from say StreetSmart.... may be a better choice than just swapping in a rebuild kit. No disrespect to WWDiesel's mech but re-man's address all the OEM factory upgrades and such. As a tranny rebuilder myself I went ahead and bought a reman that I will now care for the rest of the libby's life. The reman came with the new pump and a bunch of internal goodies such as a transgo kit and HP torque converter. I added a deep aluminum pan, LubeLocker re-usable pan gasket (no RTV needed) and aux temp gauge.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff