It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: detriot true trac
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay I've been reading about the TT and Powertrax all over the place with 4x4 using them, but I wanted to know if the TT being the one with road manners and better in snow and rain conditions, would be a good upgrade for going off-roading, easy to moderate trails... no large rock climbing,mud or sand cause I know I might have a hard time. Would it be a good investment? For something like Hollister hills (video's can be seen in you-tube). I have the stock LSD, and wanted to see if I should just keep it or upgrade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think you'd be much happier with the TT,it cost more than the powertrax but is worth it.Since you only have 2wd it would be better,no fishtailing in the slick stuff.The TT is a gear driven LSD with alot of preload(more than the tracloc that comes OEM),there is no need for a friction modifier and since it is gear driven it will take forever to wear out.And yes it has awesome on road manners,in the rear you will never know it's there till you need it,also you can apply the e-brake a little to fool it into acting like a locker(this works sometimes with the tracloc but doesn't seem to work after awhile).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rhy, in your case, the only downside of the TrueTrac is installation cost. Professional ring and pinion gear set up will be required to replace the stock carrier. Check out these two pages for more info:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... t_TrueTrac
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... ax_No-Slip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks guys for the new info, so then it would be compatible because I don't have ESP and its a 2002. I wanna go to Hollister Hills in the summer and check out how it handles. By the way,tjkj2002, what do you mean by preload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rhy wrote:
thanks guys for the new info, so then it would be compatible because I don't have ESP and its a 2002. I wanna go to Hollister Hills in the summer and check out how it handles. By the way,tjkj2002, what do you mean by preload.
Well I'll try to explain it the best I can(anyone chime in if I get anything wrong),as far as the TT's preload goes----A LSD is a carrier in the diff that puts torque to both wheels under power when going strait,they also provide traction to the one wheel that has traction(one on ice,there other on dry ground) instead of the path of least resistance that a open carrier does(the wheel with no traction).The TT is different than other LSD's due to using worn gears instead of clutches,with the worm gears it can be set at a higher torque bias(AKA preload) which is how much torque it requiers to unlock the LSD and acting like a open diff to go turn corners without chirping the tires.If I remember right the torque bias(AKA preload) on the factory TracLock is like 200 ft-lbs and the TT is somewhere at 400+ ft-lbs,thus making it act like a locker more then clutch sytle LSD's but not enough preload to take away from good street manners.I hope this made some sense,if not I'll try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay, I kinda am lost. I'm having a hard time picturing it. So because the TT has a higher torque it will lock-up (or limit slip) easier in a scenario when one wheel has less resistance? I thought 400+ ft-lbs is more power (more torque) right? So would I have to put more power for it to limit my slip with the TT compared with the stock LSD. I'm so lost, sorry I'm a newbie. I need it in layman's terms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rhy wrote:
Okay, I kinda am lost. I'm having a hard time picturing it. So because the TT has a higher torque it will lock-up (or limit slip) easier in a scenario when one wheel has less resistance? I thought 400+ ft-lbs is more power (more torque) right? So would I have to put more power for it to limit my slip with the TT compared with the stock LSD. I'm so lost, sorry I'm a newbie. I need it in layman's terms
You almost got it,just reverse your thinking.It takes about 400 ft-lbs to release the TT to act like a open diff under power(giving gas while turning).400 ft-lbs seems like alot compared to 200 the tracloc takes but it's really not that much to effect onroad driveability

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Ooh, so if I gas (power/torque) the TT is locked up. But when I put enough gas (power/torque) more than 400 ft-lbs then the TT will open up like a open diff. Is this right? In the situation where I would be turning no gas (power/torque) the TT is just open like a normal open diff. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rhy, the Detroit TrueTrac is normally open and only biases torque to one wheel when the other starts to lose traction. If traction is completely lost at one wheel, the emergency brake can be applied to stop spin and allow torque bias to occur.

Just be sure to buy a limited slip or locker designed for the Dana 35. I'm pretty sure all 2002 Libertys have the Dana 35C rear axle.

Check out these pages for some more info:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml#TrueTrac
http://www.eatonperformance.com/differe ... tials.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_sl ... fferential

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think only the I4 came with the D35 and all others came with the Corp 8.25. Just be safe and LOOK :shock:

The DTT would be very effective and pretty street friendly. It does come with preload which enables it ot work without having to add "brake forces". If you can move without using the brake that is better offroad. You don't want the rear tires having to push the fronts with brakes applied.

DTT with Lift, armor and MTs will go a long way...recovery points will get you the rest of the way with help.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:11 am 
LOST Addict

So how would the preload play with ESP? Do you need no preload, as ESP will brake for you or does it not matter?