It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Muffler Delete Review
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:53 am 
LOST Newbie

20 minute job for $50. Replaces OEM muffler with 2.5" pipe.

Improvements:
-Exhaust brake effect much reduced. Coasts more like a gasser.
-Turbo spools quicker, thus acceleration is increased
-Has a mean idle
-Deep growl 1/2-full throttle
-Weight savings
-Ground clearance
-Should net increased fuel mileage
-Subdued sound with windows up

Negative:
-Could be quieter above 70mph

Highly recommended mod due to the cost/benefit ratio. Don't even mess around with swapping mufflers.

Hope this helps someone out.

15x7 Black Rock Jack 929 w/ 4.5" BS
Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors/ pads
Wells/ bumper cut. Pinch welds. DIY bed liner'd Crossbars and grill. 8,000lb hitch. Tint. Debadge. Thule. Kenwood DDX470
Muffler delete. ORM

Weekend: 2008 135i. 400rwhp/ 450rwtq. 3,100lbs

Post subject: Re: CRD Muffler Delete Review
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the post! This has been on my to do list, but I've been worried about the noise. So you're saying that it is noticeable at 70+ mph?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm on stock size tires and 72mph is where the sound kicks in. Just standard exhaust pulses. Zero drone. I repeat zero drone. It's not bad especially since our CRD's are inherently loud as is.

When I deleted the muffler on my twin turbo'd bimmer THAT was loud.

I'd say do it. Must do mod for a CRD. love how it coasts now.

Wells/ bumper cut. Pinch welds. DIY bed liner'd Crossbars and grill. 8,000lb hitch. Tint. Debadge. Thule. Kenwood DDX470
Muffler delete. ORM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Awesome :rockon: I'm all over this mod. Maybe I'll crawl under there tomorrow and cut it out.

thanks again! :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:03 am 
LOST Newbie

You do it yet?

Muffler delete. ORM

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:27 am 
LOST Newbie

I've had this done for a few years now. Probably one of the first things I did to my CRD. I'd recommend it for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:45 am 

Tried this on mine when I removed the CAT and the choke point; a little too much noise to suit me, so I installed a 2.5" in/out Flowmaster and it is perfect!!! High flow and little noise at highway cruising speeds.... 8)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

Here is a video (not mine) of the sound comparison between stock and muffler delete: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlOBuliKo_M

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I have had mine done for a year and a half or so and it is louder at highway speeds. When it was first done i had to look under the car to make sure they had actually removed it because it sounded almost the same at idle.

The whole time its been my wifes daily driver and I havent heard a peep. Its not any louder than her 09 legacy was at highway speed I dont think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

Just don't do what I did and cut it off at where the cat used to be.
It now dumps right under the passenger seat.
It's stupid loud when accelerating but not bad at cruising speed.
Keeping the windows rolled up helps abate the sound a bit.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:12 am 
LOST Addict

I finally cut out the big magnaflow, and I can't tell the difference. Maybe strait pipe is louder than stock, but is sounds the same as magnaflow up to at least 70mph. I think I might hear a slight increase in sound when I floor it, but nothing major. Sure makes the big mufflers obsolete. I kept the cat though, and it does a good job of keeping it quiet.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:50 am 

Mountainman wrote:
I finally cut out the big magnaflow, and I can't tell the difference. Maybe strait pipe is louder than stock, but is sounds the same as magnaflow up to at least 70mph. I think I might hear a slight increase in sound when I floor it, but nothing major. Sure makes the big mufflers obsolete. I kept the cat though, and it does a good job of keeping it quiet.

The CAT acts as a muffler and is also a big restriction to the gas flow... Take it out along with the choke point and you will see a big difference in performance and sound.
It will allow the turbo to spool up faster not having any backpressure on it and will increase power a little along with better fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it... :wink:
Removing the CAT will not set any DTC's since the CRD has no O2 sensors.... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:42 am 
LOST Addict

On the cat front, one of my sons and myself are severe asthmatics, so a diesel without a cat is like an instant asthma attack. I have to be really careful with all diesel exhaust anyhow, but the cat free ones make me chronically ill. I got the egr port welded just to make sure no exhaust makes it in the cab. Maybe I should upgrade to a bigger cat with much less restriction, but then it would be really loud and I'd want to to put a muffler back on it :lol:
I do appreciate the advice though, I can dream about the extra power. You know, I had one CRD that the PO had removed the CAT, and it was surprisingly perky.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Before attempting this you need to realise that there are legal limits set on exhaust noise levels in most countries in the world, so removing the muffler can therefore make the vehicle illegal to use on the road!
And removing the CAT is a sure way to make sure it fails emission tests, like the ones carried out during the MOT here in the UK.
And as for "perkyness"...my 2005 KJ 2.8 CRD Sport (161hp, 296 lbs-ft of torque) is extremely quick off the mark, even with a Cat and muffler on the stock exhaust pipe...I can burn off virtually anything at the traffic lights in first gear!
But then, it does have a six speed manual gearbox, not a heavier, slower and much more inefficient Auto box.
And I don't know why anyone would want to make their KJ noisier anyway, as I really like the quietness of my KJ, especially at motorways speeds (over 60mph). In top gear at 70mph, my KJ cruises quietly at 2450rpm, so I can easily hear the radio without having to crank up the volume to ear splitting levels, and there is virtually no wind noise, which really helps too.
Also I seriously doubt removing the muffler will reduce fuel consumption...If anything, fuel consumption might go up as the engine "MAP" tuning in the ECU is programmed to work best with the CAT and muffler in line.
If I put my foot down, and use the aircon all the time, my mpg never drops below 31mpg...Drive it like a granny, and with the aircon switched off, and I easily average 38mpg (Which is 45mpg in UK gallons!), so I am very happy having a quieter KJ with a stock exhaust fitted. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:57 am 

jeepsterkj wrote:
And I don't know why anyone would want to make their KJ noisier anyway, as I really like the quietness of my KJ, especially at motorways speeds (over 60mph). :wink:

Cannot speak as to db levels in other countries, but here in the US totally removing the CAT and even the muffler would not make the Jeep CRD loud enough to warrant any attention by law enforcement. (turbo acts as a sound reducer anyway) There are plenty of other vehicles on the road including many big trucks that make several times the db noise of our little 4 bangers.
But to kind of make a point, it is not about wanting to make the little diesel noisier, far from it, it's all about engine performance and removing anything behind the turbo to reduce any backpressure that can help improve turbo response, performance, and lower EGT's.

Remember the diesel engine is a simple air pump with a little fuel added to get work out of it. Doing anything to improve total air flow volume into the engine and expel spent gases out of the engine faster with the least resistance will help improve performance, turbo response, fuel milage, and add to engine longevity.
Many, including myself, are not proponents of totally removing the muffler, but rather changing it out for a free flowing unit and keeping the tailpipe.
With no CAT and a free flowing muffler and tailpipe out the rear, there can be heard no exhaust noise whatsoever going down the road at cruising speeds.

The CAT and the choke point in front of it should be totally removed, unless you are in an area where visual or exhaust inspections would prevent that, due to the fact the CAT is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system and certainly does increase backpressure on the turbo and thus raise operating EGT's and lowers overall performance...
Since removing the CAT does not set any DTC's on the Jeep CRD and if your area inspections does not include tailpipe sample "sniffing", the CAT can be totally removed or at a minimum removed, gutted, and then reinstalled. :roll:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I noticed a slight loss of torque when I got rid of my muffler. This was with a 2.5" exhaust. I went back to a small straight thru muffler and was happy to have some torque back.

Suncoast TC shift kit
40MPG