It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mechanical fan; can it be removed????
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

:dizzy: :?: I was looking at my cooling system on my 02 jeep liberty sport v6, and noticed that it has 2 fans, a mechanical and a electric. I'm wondering if i can remove the power sucking mechanical fan and just run off the electric. :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: mechanical fan; can it be removed????
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes,the mechanical fan is part of the HD cooling and aids in low speed cooling when towing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:42 am 
LOST Addict

Many Liberties only have the electric fan.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

So just to be clear, I can remove the mechanical fan and fan clutch and just run off the electric fan. But Its not a good idea if i'm planning on towing or low speed wheeling. please correct me if i'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

with a 2002 with the better rad, unless you do a bunch of crawling in a high heat state like AZ or something, i wouldn't think twice about removing it

even if it's removing it 9 months of the year

done alot of extended idles, crawling in 4 high in powder sand, never had any heating issues without a mech fan

however, it would probably make me 'feel' better during the peak of the summer when i'm out camping

but other than that, it doesn't need it, elec fan rarely ever, EVER, comes on as it is

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

theSCkid wrote:
:dizzy: :?: I was looking at my cooling system on my 02 jeep liberty sport v6, and noticed that it has 2 fans, a mechanical and a electric. I'm wondering if i can remove the power sucking mechanical fan and just run off the electric. :JEEPIN:

I agree, don't remove the mechanical fan. It engages when it's needed. The electric fan only comes on when the PCM decides it needs to. You could easily overheat your engine if you rely on it alone.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lol.....

agree with who or with what?

noone in the thread has advised against removing it outside of the extended lowspeeds in high heat or low speed towing

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LibertyFever wrote:
theSCkid wrote:

I agree, don't remove the mechanical fan. It engages when it's needed. The electric fan only comes on when the PCM decides it needs to. You could easily overheat your engine if you rely on it alone.

You do know that the electric fan is the prime cooling fan,the mechanical fan is only a aid at low speeds like when towing.The mechanical fan will not engage until much later after the electric fan is already running and the engine temps reach 230 degrees or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am 
LOST Addict

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
lol.....

agree with who or with what?

noone in the thread has advised against removing it outside of the extended lowspeeds in high heat or low speed towing

...I agree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

There are fan clutches that engage at lower temps such as the Hayden 2905 at I think 195 vs the stock 220 degrees also there is the 11 blade chevy fan upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

Why is everyone installing a Chevy fan when the 05 3.7 fan fits and it’s a direct replacement? Our shop use to build airplanes and the books on prop design shows more airflow under 3500 with the mopar fan part number 52079654AE and the stock crd 5 blade steel flows more above 3500 so for what it is just get the stock 3.7 mechanical fan… I run it on all mine (3) and the overheating is gone, the one I drive use to overheat pulling a grade in 95 + heat with the ac running and I’d have to slow to 60 with the ac off but with the mopar plastic fan it won’t pass the half way in 110 doing 75-80 up the same hill with the ac on… I have been running them for years now and they also fit the grand Cherokee with the 5.9 so it moves some air at a lower rpm for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:15 pm 

The 11 blade GM fan allows you to use the Hayden severe duty fan clutch designated for the large 6.0 V8 GM trucks with heavy duty cooling system with AC & towing package.
Also, the GM fan can be purchased at about half the cost of the OEM Mopar plastic fan. The GM fan & clutch are both available through NAPA and other parts distributors.

If you reside in colder climate locations, you may not really need this mod!
Having pioneered this modification several years ago due to the poor cooling in the very hot high humidity conditions of the south when towing or driving in town in stop and go traffic with the stock Mopar fan, I can certainly attest to the fact that adding the GM fan & HD clutch has been a vast improvement.
It helps lower transmission temperatures when towing and greatly improved AC performance at low speeds in town in 100+ temperatures & very high humidity conditions.
Quote:
NAPA Part no’s (fitment: Chevrolet Truck)
GM Severe Duty Fan Clutch NAPA PN: 271625
GM 11 blade HD Cooling Fan NAPA PN: 8552223
Requires four (4) GM 11516869 mounting bolts M10X1.5X18mm (mounts fan to clutch)

The GM fan & fan clutch is designed for the GM 6.0L V8 engine with HD cooling, AC, w/towing package.
ACDelco Fan Clutch PN 20913877
Hayden Fan Clutch PN: HY 2786 or 2986 or Four Seasons PN: 36973
ACDelco GM11 blade fan: PN: 15976889

Bottom line, If you don't need or want improved cooling using the GM fan/clutch conversion, that's perfectly OK! It's your choice...
Just a slightly better mousetrap. :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: mechanical fan; can it be removed????
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

I will have to look into the difference between the Hayden Chevy 6.0 and the Hayden kJ crd fan clutches, I will reach out to my vendors tomorrow and ask. The mopar fan is only $140 for the 3.7 11 blade fan and it fits perfect with no other mods. How hot is it where you live? Here in south eastern wa it regularly reaches 100+ for a month or two each year, some times 110+ for days or weeks and the mopar fan plus Hayden crd specific clutch work awsome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:17 am 

My66dodge wrote:
I will have to look into the difference between the Hayden Chevy 6.0 and the Hayden kJ crd fan clutches, I will reach out to my vendors tomorrow and ask. The mopar fan is only $140 for the 3.7 11 blade fan and it fits perfect with no other mods. How hot is it where you live? Here in south eastern wa it regularly reaches 100+ for a month or two each year, some times 110+ for days or weeks and the mopar fan plus Hayden crd specific clutch work awsome

The GM 11 blade fan can be found for around $50 bucks, a whole lot cheaper than the Mopar fan and I believe the GM fan is a tiny bit larger.
Here in the southeast in the summertime, we see 100+ days with extremely high humidity (over 90%).

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:02 pm 
LOST Member

For what its worth, I have the 3.7L plastic fan and the heavy duty clutch and it has performed flawlessly down here in the SoCal desert. Summer temps are in the 105 and hilly desert terrain. Also I drove the jeep to MOAB last year in April and ran some of the Badge of Honor trails and never overheated driving there or while on the trails.

I don't think you can go wrong with either fan you choose. Good upgrade!

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:36 am 
LOST Newbie

03black wrote:
For what its worth, I have the 3.7L plastic fan and the heavy duty best phentermine over the counter clutch and it has performed flawlessly down here in the SoCal desert. Summer temps are in the 105 and hilly desert terrain. Also I drove the jeep to MOAB last year in April and ran some of the Badge of Honor trails and never overheated driving there or while on the trails.

I don't think you can go wrong with either fan you choose. Good upgrade!

Good to know about your fan working condition.
can you tell more details about fan you are using? So that other ppl can also have it for their use.
Thank you.

Last edited by ModelLeenaCrown on Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:53 am 
LOST Member

ModelLeenaCrown wrote:

Good to know about your fan working condition.
can you tell more details about fan you are using? So that other ppl can also have it for their use.
Thank you.

Sure but there is not much to tell about it. You can use the GM 11 bladed fan and the GM fan clutch or do what I did and use the plastic fan from a gas liberty and the heavy duty fan clutch (made for towing). They go in place of the metal fan that's in the CRD and moves more air when the jeep is at or near idle. Helps keep the temperature down and the other benefit is your AC is just a bit more, at colder, at least it is for me, your mileage may vary.

Only reason I went with the gas liberty plastic fan is I already had it laying around from another liberty that I used to own so used what I had.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:41 pm 

The 11 blade GM fan and HD fan clutch for the 6.0 GM V8 engine is a great upgrade if you want better cooling performance for both the radiator and AC system.
It moves a lot more air than the OEM fans and fan clutches.
The GM parts can be ordered online or purchased at NAPA.

Quote:
FYI----Info on the Jeep Liberty CRD 11 Blade GM Fan Conversion:
Background; Chevy/GMC trucks years 1996 through 2007 w/V8 engines factory equipped w/HD cooling system w/AC & towing package are a direct replacement for the Jeep Liberty CRD cooling fan & fan clutch. The prices for the GM parts are less expensive than the genuine Mopar parts to get the HD Liberty Gas burner (3.7L) 11 blade cooling fan and clutch. Parts can be sourced through NAPA or one of the other many online parts suppliers like Rockauto.
GM Cooling Fan Conversion part numbers:
Severe Duty Fan Clutch NAPA PN: 271625
11 blade HD Cooling Fan NAPA PN: 8552223
GM 11516869 mounting bolts M10X1.5X18mm (Requires four (4), mounts fan to larger fan clutch)

The GM fan & fan clutch is designed for the GM 6.0L V8 engine with HD cooling, AC, w/towing package. OEM parts can also be ordered from GM Parts Direct.com
ACDelco Fan Clutch PN: 20913877
ACDelco 11 blade fan: PN: 15976889
GM 11516869 (mounting bolts, 4 required)
Alternative GM Fan Clutch PNs: Hayden 2786 or 2986 or Four Seasons PN: 36973

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:58 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
The 11 blade GM fan and HD fan clutch for the 6.0 GM V8 engine is a great upgrade if you want better cooling performance for both the radiator and AC system.
It moves a lot more air than the OEM fans how to take phentermine and fan clutches.
The GM parts can be ordered online or purchased at NAPA.

Quote:
FYI----Info on the Jeep Liberty CRD 11 Blade GM Fan Conversion:
Background; Chevy/GMC trucks years 1996 through 2007 w/V8 engines factory equipped w/HD cooling system w/AC & towing package are a direct replacement for the Jeep Liberty CRD cooling fan & fan clutch. The prices for the GM parts are less expensive than the genuine Mopar parts to get the HD Liberty Gas burner (3.7L) 11 blade cooling fan and clutch. Parts can be sourced through NAPA or one of the other many online parts suppliers like Rockauto.
GM Cooling Fan Conversion part numbers:
Severe Duty Fan Clutch NAPA PN: 271625
11 blade HD Cooling Fan NAPA PN: 8552223
GM 11516869 mounting bolts M10X1.5X18mm (Requires four (4), mounts fan to larger fan clutch)

The GM fan & fan clutch is designed for the GM 6.0L V8 engine with HD cooling, AC, w/towing package. OEM parts can also be ordered from GM Parts Direct.com
ACDelco Fan Clutch PN: 20913877
ACDelco 11 blade fan: PN: 15976889
GM 11516869 (mounting bolts, 4 required)
Alternative GM Fan Clutch PNs: Hayden 2786 or 2986 or Four Seasons PN: 36973

Thanks for telling the informative detail. For online order GM Fan, is the advance payment is necessary or not?