It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K&N?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm looking at the K&N air filters, not intakes just regular air filters. What's everyone opinion on them? Is there the increase in gas mileage and power like they claim. I know your not gonna get like another 5 mpg and 10 hp out of it or anything but is there an improvement over stock. Also, how much of a pain is it to keep it oiled.

Post subject: K&N
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:23 pm 
LOST Member

I have (or had) K&N filters in most of my recent filters. I have noticed a VERY slight increase in MPG (perhaps 1 mpg). I mainly have them because they are "fire and forget". Once installed, your air filter worries are over. As an added benefit, that K and N sticker helps avoid the hassle of oil change places trying to upsell a filter everytime the oil is changed. AJ's sells them for about 36 bucks. Hope this helps. There is a WIDE range of opinions though as to the quality of K&N filters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.trueflow.com/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:55 pm 
LOST Addict

If you live in Arizona, you probably shouldn't get a K&N or similar intake. It's too dusty. If you do, you should run an off road bag with it, but that will cancel out any possible mpg increase.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:16 pm 
LOST Member

I bought my K&N for one reason and one reason only you can wash it out with a hose. Re oil it then throw it back in. Peirod. I expect no other performance out of it. So it passes my one requirement.

-John L.O.S.T. #229262
SOLD 2005 Liberty
SOLD 2006 TJ Rubicon
1977 Ford Bronco
5.5inch Superlift
35x12.50's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:11 pm 
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin

Noscapegoat wrote:
I bought my K&N for one reason and one reason only you can wash it out with a hose. Re oil it then throw it back in. Peirod. I expect no other performance out of it. So it passes my one requirement.

X2

Same exact reason i bought mines. Instead of paying that 15 bucks or so every other month I buy one filter and the recharger kit and i am good to go for more than i will ever see!

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

The dust is my main concern. I'm thinking I may stick with stock filters becuase of that. Just yesterday, I drove through a massive duststorm that reduced visibilty to around 50 feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, heres my story.

I put a Flowmaster on my V6 Liberty and it was great! More power and awesome sound. After a while I decided that it was a little too loud (yes I'm getting old at 31). So I decided to go back to stock (dumb moment). The stock muffler felt like I was dragging a weight behind me! Incredible difference! So to fix that I went out and had a Magnaflow put on. Its quieter than the Flowmaster but still has a good sound and power. Big difference! Now I have a good sound thats not too terribly loud and the power I want.

If you want the LOUD rumble then go with the Flowmaster. Its definately a power jump you CAN feel. At least I did! But if you don't want too loud, just a performance boost mainly, go with Magnaflow.

In both cases I just welded in a new muffler. No cat back or change to the pipes other than the muffler itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am 
LOST Addict

I bought mine for the same reason; I don't want to end up buying them over and over again. I have heard that they are not recommended for dusty environments.

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

I think I'll stick with the stock filters then. What about like the FRAM Airhog ones? Are those any better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tackindy wrote:
Ok, heres my story.

I put a Flowmaster on my V6 Liberty and it was great! More power and awesome sound. After a while I decided that it was a little too loud (yes I'm getting old at 31). So I decided to go back to stock (dumb moment). The stock muffler felt like I was dragging a weight behind me! Incredible difference! So to fix that I went out and had a Magnaflow put on. Its quieter than the Flowmaster but still has a good sound and power. Big difference! Now I have a good sound thats not too terribly loud and the power I want.

If you want the LOUD rumble then go with the Flowmaster. Its definately a power jump you CAN feel. At least I did! But if you don't want too loud, just a performance boost mainly, go with Magnaflow.

In both cases I just welded in a new muffler. No cat back or change to the pipes other than the muffler itself.

Haha, im glad you out that in, but this is about air filters. I will probably go with a magnaflow muffler based on what you just said. I want a power increase, but not much noise.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

they also have dry filters now, that flow the same if not more than the K&N's. They are considered dry cuz they don't require oiling at all! I think AEM makes them, but i don't know if they come in panel designs yet. I know for sure they come in cone style though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:54 am 
LOST Member

I have used k&n filters for years, the airflow was awesome, but then so was the dirt flow. I come to realize the filters main purpose is to filter dirt, not make power, so now I see the light, I bet you think I'm gonna say I went back to a paper filter, not at all. On my 04 ranger I have a k&n intake with an AEM highflow oilless cone filter, it's an awesome product. I would like to get the whole AEM intake, but they don't make them for my year of ranger yet. The AEM brute force intake will be going on the libby, I have one on my focus st, good for 6 hp to the wheels, and the ranger will follow when it's available. I can't tell you enough how impressed I am with AEM's quality and workmanship and thier power claims are more accurate than most.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:35 pm 
This member has been Banned

If you put the K&N in for a while, and go back to a regular filter. Reset the computer to get it to run right again.