It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Throttle body spacer on the V6?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone put a throttle body spacer on their V6 yet? Does it work? What does it give you? I was looking on EBay and saw the Airaid one for a hundred or two and was thinking..... "I could put that on if it did something good".

So anyone have any input on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I haven't had any experience but this is what they say. Its supposed to funnel the air to make it more dense and "aerodynamic", but by the time the air gets to the engine it has gone through the manifold and the valves and no longer is a funnel. They say it gives the air longer time to mix with the fuel so the fuel can burn better, but the fuel doesn't mix with the air until the injectors and the spacer goes before the injectors. I think its a bunch of BS. Just my opinion though.

Down Right L.O.S.T. Florida #223221
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224536

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

According to Kenne Bell (yes, I know they make superchargers):

Quote:
What is the most ridiculous aftermarket product? Hands down, it's the "little intake fans" and the "throttle body spacers" with the bore grooves. Right there on the list has to be those "underhood exposed filters" that suck in 200° underhood air instead of ambient (70°-100° air from the fenderwell). 10° air temp rise is -1% HP. That's how dynos are calibrated for temperature changes. Does anyone really believe that all those OEM manufacturers designed expensive plastic inlet systems - for the last 20 years - that pull cool air from the fenderwell, hood or grill because they didn't have anything else to spend their money on? Then there's those "factory calibrated" mass air meters that do not use a chip or re-calibrated processor with oversize injectors. They unwittingly reduce the voltage signal to the mass air meter to compensate for the larger injectors at WOT but they neglect all the driveability issues. The result is over advancing timing, lean mixtures, detonation, surging, bucking etc.

TJ Forum:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262947&highlight=snake

Also, if you want an example of how lost should never be, check here:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1853396/tm.htm

Post subject: Throttle body spacer on the V6?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:47 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm sure your right on the money there. I guess I just don't want to miss out on an opportunity for better mileage/power where the factory was going for quiet and conservative. You know, like in the muffler area. After upgrading the factory muffler I FELT the increase in power. I was hoping maybe the spacer was one of those "louder but better" options. After reading that article you do appear to be correct. I've always thought it was funny that someone would suck air from under the hood! Talk about hot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

The TBS won't help you. You can use a drop in K&N for the same slight increase as a cone setup, but don't bother with a cone setup unless your willing to spend some money. The solution to getting tons of cold air to a cone filter setup is pretty simple, however it's costly. It increased my highway milage from 20 to 24 mpg. It actually made at least as much difference in performance as the Borla exhaust too. Unfortunately I dropped back to 20 mpg when I went to the 4.10's.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

This may be a dead horse already, but from personal experience mine didn't do anything for me that I could notice on my Grand Prix. The TB is attached right to the supercharger, so the rationalization is a heat barrier. Makes sense, right? Well, about all I can tell was I now have 2 seals I have to get right since I killed the 1 that was working fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

KY Liberty wrote:
The TBS won't help you. You can use a drop in K&N for the same slight increase as a cone setup, but don't bother with a cone setup unless your willing to spend some money. The solution to getting tons of cold air to a cone filter setup is pretty simple, however it's costly. It increased my highway milage from 20 to 24 mpg. It actually made at least as much difference in performance as the Borla exhaust too. Unfortunately I dropped back to 20 mpg when I went to the 4.10's.

I know this post is about TBS, but what is your secret to getting tons of cold air to the cone filter. I have a cone that I attatched to the stock tubing and it is placed inside the stock air box acting as a heat shield. If you look at my cardomain site there is a pic. How could I improve my setup??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:40 am 
LOST Member

KYLiberty, your hood is without a doubt the coolest of all in this community, but I dont think anyone else would spend the amount you did to get one, even for that guaranteed cold air. :lol:

As for throttle body spacers, I remember reading something on the AEM website that says AEM doesn't make a TBS for the KJ because in their R&D period of making our intake, they realized a TBS would do absolutely nothing to increase the performance of the 3.7L.

I trust AEM.

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

streetKJ wrote:
KYLiberty, your hood is without a doubt the coolest of all in this community, but I dont think anyone else would spend the amount you did to get one, even for that guaranteed cold air. :lol:

As for throttle body spacers, I remember reading something on the AEM website that says AEM doesn't make a TBS for the KJ because in their R&D period of making our intake, they realized a TBS would do absolutely nothing to increase the performance of the 3.7L.

I trust AEM.

Thanks, it did cost a lot, but to me it was worth it.

If you're thinking about spending $100 on a spacer, you should really look at getting a reworked throttle body. They're only $180 once you return your core, and they actually work.

http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies37.asp

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I ran the Libby with a TBS for some 20,000 miles. My impressions are: no milelage change, no change in power, a huge increase in annoying noise, and a loss of about $80. Therefore, if anyone out there wants it (complete with original box & directions), make an offer!

2006 Silver Unlimited Rubicon w/OME suspension, Jeeperman side bars, various skids, Hanson front bumper w/Warn 9.5ti, Tuffy overhead console, Wet Okole seat covers, other various goodies....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:39 am 
LOST Member

I had some sucess with the tb spacer and larger tb's on jeep inline motors, it lowered the power band. I tried one on my v-6 ranger and all I got was a whitsle, I expect the 3.7 would be the same. Luckily if you buy the AEM intake, as mentioned, they do the work for you. If your kit comes with a spacer, that means there was some benifit, no spacer, no gains to be had. Also the new AEM cone filters are awesome, they filter better than k&n, and you don't have to oil them. On a jeep is not as a big a deal, but on a ford, the oil would get on the maf and screw it up if you weren't careful.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:42 pm 
LOST Addict

The Fastman throttle body works well on the 3.7, especially if you've made other upgrades to it already. The AEM and K&N cone help a little, as well as the K&N drop in. The cone setups work very well combined with the throttle body if you add a hood, or do a "$4 cold air intake modification."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:30 am 
LOST Newbie

KY Liberty wrote:
The Fastman throttle body works well on the 3.7, especially if you've made other upgrades to it already. The AEM and K&N cone help a little, as well as the K&N drop in. The cone setups work very well combined with the throttle body if you add a hood, or do a "$4 cold air intake modification."

What is your $4 mod??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:46 am 
LOST Addict

StreetKJ came up with the "$4 cold air intake mod." Here is a link.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=11748&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:16 am 
LOST Member

KY Liberty wrote:

Thats not too expensive at all...with the bigger throttle body will the ECU adjust itself, or would you have to get a chip or ECU reflash of some kind to get full advantage? Also, any idea what sort of hp/tq gains were talking about with the bigger TB?

2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

You just need to reset the adaptives in the ECU for it to work. It will work better if you get a B&G flash though. I haven't run it on the dyno since the upgrade, but it is definately noticeable. It also works better with an upgraded intake and exhaust. It's all about getting more air and fuel through the system.