It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Twin (non oiled) intake
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 am 
LOST Member

I don't care for many of the aftermarket intakes, especially the oiled ones but when I saw this picture:
It made me think of this filter for a sweet set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:21 am 
LOST Member

The point of an intake system is to draw cold air in. That ebay piece of shiznit is the worse possible design ever! unless you have some sort of vented/ram-air hood like KY Liberty does. Take a drive around in the KJ then park and pop the hood and you will notice how hot that area around those filters are. The stock intake box is actually much better designed than that simple, showy dual filter pipe. I honestly feel sorry for whoever bought that, because they're robbing themselves of horsepower.

If oiling filters periodically is a huge turnoff to you, consider the new AEM dryflow air filters. No oiling is necessary, and they're easier to wash than the older filters. I remember cleaning my oiled filter in the kitchen sink, and it made a huge reddish pink stain in the basin (porcelain sink) from the old oil. I'm trying to find someplace that sells just the these filters since I don't really want to buy it directly from AEM ($60).

Here's a link to my post in the Fabrication section a while back.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=11748

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:27 am 
LOST Member

I realize you would want to vent more fresh air in to complement it.
If you didn't the question is if the less restricted warmer air would be any better than the OEM cooler restricted flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:08 pm 
LOST Member

Matt400 wrote:
I realize you would want to vent more fresh air in to complement it.
If you didn't the question is if the less restricted warmer air would be any better than the OEM cooler restricted flow.

A large amount of warm air is still worse than a small amount of cold air. Put simply, cold air is more dense with the oxygen molecules needed for combustion than warm air is. If the restricted cold air is cold enough, it will make up for the restriction with more available oxygen for combustion. The inverse is that if the flow of warm air is great enough, it will be better than a restricted cold air input.

If you plan to implement some kind of piping to receive more airflow, it's a better idea to stick with the single tube and filter designs which draw air from the side of the engine where it is cooler, rather than a cheap badly designed product like that on ebay. They may receive the equivalent airflow, but since the dual filter design is located above the hottest area of the engine, it will underperform in comparison to a Volant, K&N or AEM design from the side.

02 Sport in Stone White
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:31 pm 
LOST Addict

That filter would be a great way to decrease your performance and gas milage from stock. That design is horrible. Getting colder, denser air to the motor is how you can increase your performance and milage. You get around 1% better effeciency for each 10 degrees you can drop the air intake temperature. My solution added at least as much performance increase as the Borla exhaust. It also increased my highway milage from 20 mpg to 24 mpg. However, it combines a $250 intake and a $1000 hood once it's painted. The heat shield from the K&N FIPK seals up against the hood and all the air from the scoop is dumped right into the cone. The bottom of the heat shield is sealed off, so the air coming from the front, and the scoop has no where to go except for the intake. Unfortunately, if you're looking for fuel savings, your break even would be around 60,000 highway miles, which isn't worth it. For me the improved gas milage was a nice surprise since it was done for performance reasons, and since I never liked the look of the front end of the Liberty.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only thing that might help with that setup is removing the weather stripping at the cowl...just behind the dual setup...that will draw a little more air and heat thru the engine bay

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm sure that sensored word could hydro lock a motor like nobody's business!!! All the "intake" for the KJ are crap IMHO. I've been in the performance tuning scene for almost 10 years now.... i know what i'm talking about, after building numerous circuit and drag cars. ALLo of the "intakes" i've seen use the same diameter piping from the filter to the throttle body as stock, suck pure hot air in, and greatly increase the chance of hydro locking your motor if you do any kind of wheelin near water. You are FAR better off simply buying a K&N drop in panel filter fort the stock box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:07 pm 
LOST Member

snow blower wrote:
I'm sure that @$#% could hydro lock a motor like nobody's business!!! All the "intake" for the KJ are crap IMHO. I've been in the performance tuning scene for almost 10 years now.... i know what i'm talking about, after building numerous circuit and drag cars. ALLo of the "intakes" i've seen use the same diameter piping from the filter to the throttle body as stock, suck pure hot air in, and greatly increase the chance of hydro locking your motor if you do any kind of wheelin near water. You are FAR better off simply buying a K&N drop in panel filter fort the stock box.

While I agree with you for the most part, think about it this way:

Mass manufacturered cold air intakes were not meant for vehicles that are driven in conditions were hydrolocking the motor is a possibility. These intakes are meant for vehicles that do not see duty in mud, in or around water, or vehicles that have the engine bay components modified from the original intended locations so that water may enter more easily.

The issue with building intakes for the KJ in particular is not essentially finding the coldest air to feed to the system, but actually freeing it from the restrictiveness of the stock airbox. After switching to the AEM Brute Force setup, there was a noticable seat of the pants difference in acceleration because the system was able to suck a larger volume of air in versus stock. Now if water is such a big issue for people, they should just stick with the stock airbox and forget all hopes of implementing a cold air system.

or they could simply buy this for their Brute Force setup...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-Cold ... enameZWDVW

02 Sport in Stone White

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:04 pm 
Got Groceries?

I have that exact intake, I noticed a decent increase in throttle response, and also a very good increase in fuel economy, keep in mind im lifted with mtrs, i went from 16.2 average to 18.4 and thats with the a/c on. and the sucking noise when you get it to 2000-2500 RPM's is cool too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Hood297 wrote:
I have that exact intake, I noticed a decent increase in throttle response, and also a very good increase in fuel economy, keep in mind im lifted with mtrs, i went from 16.2 average to 18.4 and thats with the a/c on. and the sucking noise when you get it to 2000-2500 RPM's is cool too.

Wow, that's surprising. I can understand the throttle response, but I'm trying to figure out the economy. Could it be working the opposite of a power wire? Instead of using a resitor on the temp sensor to trick the computer into making the afr richer and advancing the timing, the very hot air caused the computer to lean the mix out. With the amount of air it could pull in, it should be able to do it. If you were running really rich, like my Libby used to, it would make sense. I wonder how much it would be retarding the timing though. Combining it with a cowl hood, or one similar to mine with a different bottom half with a B&G flashed PCM and a Fastman throttle body might be quite interesting.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 pm 
Got Groceries?

I have been looking to try to find a cowl induction hood like yours, ive found one place that has one for my model, but no picture.. :evil: im most likely willing to spend the money but i just cant find anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:18 am 
LOST Member

Hood297 wrote:
I have been looking to try to find a cowl induction hood like yours, ive found one place that has one for my model, but no picture.. :evil: im most likely willing to spend the money but i just cant find anyone.

KYLiberty had it custom done. $600 if im not mistaken.

02 Sport in Stone White