It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I wait to install K&N and Exhaust?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:29 am 
LOST Newbie

OK, I only have 800 miles on my JK, do I need to wait for some break in period to change out to a K&N or to add the Flowmaster exhaust to my vehicle or can I do it now? :roll:

Post subject: wait
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:12 pm 
LOST Member

In my house I wait approx. 6 months before modding a jeep. This allows the wife to calm down from the "you bought another jeep moment". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

haha, nice pineville...

boxer... I think you should be ok for the most part if you want to throw it on there. I think I recall a couple of guys on here making one or two mods the sec they got off the dealer's lot.

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject: Re: Should I wait to install K&N and Exhaust?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:59 am 
LOST Newbie

flboxerboi wrote:
OK, I only have 800 miles on my JK, do I need to wait for some break in period to change out to a K&N or to add the Flowmaster exhaust to my vehicle or can I do it now? :roll:

Replace my exhaust with the Mopar/Borla dual exit system at about 1200 miles. No problem from the dealership on warranty work.

Rusty's 2.5 Coil LIft / Rancho Rear Shocks
K & N FIPKAir Filter
Mickey Thompson Classic II's
Revo 245/75/16
JVC HU / Infinity Speakers / Factory Sub
Detroit TruTrac LSD
Richmond Gear 4:10 gear set

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I have ordered my K&N air filter so far. I have to continue to think about the exhaust, expense and sound vice benefits some more before installing either just a muffler or a cat back. I think it will be just the muffler but I am not sure what I want on that yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FWIW,
Pics of my stock KJ intake sys that had a drop in K&N filter in it for about 10K miles. I have since switched to a Wix air filter w/ no more dust in intake tract. This was the second time I found this on my KJ. 1st time I cleaned it out, cleaned and reoiled the filter and found same results again.
I do drive in very dusty conditions often and on other vehicles of mine that were only street driven w/ a K&N, I didn't notice this type of problem.
I also have Not seen any kind of performance change since switching from K&N back to WIX.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:14 pm 
LOST Addict

The dealership can't void your warranty or anything like that because you change the air filter or exhaust. They would have to be able to prove that the modification caused the failure. Then they can not cover that specific failure.

If you live in dusty conditions, you shouldn't use the K&N as the pictures above show. Here in Kentucky, my air tube is perfectly clean inside even with the ram air and a K&N cone.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:43 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm seriously considering adding an intake to increase fuel efficiency, but wanted to know what everyone thought of the sound after the install. My dad got an intake for his Envoy and hated the sound - those baffles actually do something. On my GTP it got a whole lot louder, but I can actually hear the supercharger so thumbs up! How about the KJ?

Post subject: Re: Should I wait to install K&N and Exhaust?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

jwheeles wrote:
flboxerboi wrote:

Replace my exhaust with the Mopar/Borla dual exit system at about 1200 miles. No problem from the dealership on warranty work.

I think they actually consider the borla a "mopar" part and cover it under warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The A Team wrote:
I'm seriously considering adding an intake to increase fuel efficiency, but wanted to know what everyone thought of the sound after the install. My dad got an intake for his Envoy and hated the sound - those baffles actually do something. On my GTP it got a whole lot louder, but I can actually hear the supercharger so thumbs up! How about the KJ?

My wifes FIPK sounds like a ticked off vacuum cleaner at start up and gets a little quieter after it warms up some. Personally I'm not impressed with the sound. I prefer the rumble of the exhaust instead.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
KY Liberty

The dealership can't void your warranty or anything like that because you change the air filter or exhaust. They would have to be able to prove that the modification caused the failure. Then they can not cover that specific failure
DC doesn't but Ford does,says so in my fathers owner's manual "oiled air filters void all factory warranties".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:53 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:
KY Liberty

The dealership can't void your warranty or anything like that because you change the air filter or exhaust. They would have to be able to prove that the modification caused the failure. Then they can not cover that specific failure
DC doesn't but Ford does,says so in my fathers owner's manual "oiled air filters void all factory warranties".

That is correct. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, "may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts." They must list it to be able to not honor the warranty.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:48 am 
LOST Member

Reconcider the k&n, nothing flows like a k&n, but nothing also flows dirt like k&n either. I use to be an k&n man, but they allow way to much dirt to pass, I know run the AEM intake systems, a high quality product that actually filters well, and you don't have to oil the new style cone filters. I don't think you would notice the effects of k&n on the short term, but if you plan on keeping your kj a long time, do it a favor and stay away from k&n. There used in racing because of thier flow, but those guy's rebuild thier motors alot any way, we don't, or want to hee hee.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:
KY Liberty

Ford's deal with oiled intake cones is because of the mass airflow sensors (MAF) used in some of their vehicles. Even if a touch of oil were to get past the cone and touch the MAF, it would foul the sensor and throw off a bunch of readings for the engine parameters. Most people wouldn't know how delicate the MAF is unless they have some tuning experience, and it really just takes a pricey MAF sensor cleaner and less oiling of the cone filter to get rid of the problem.

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs