It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Wire, thoughts?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Looking over at the Dodge guys you see a lot of hype about this Power Wire thing. My experience makes me skeptical - not on the heralded power gain, but the side effects. I’ll explain, and if I’m off base please help set me straight (with references if possible).

1) Knock. The closest thing I’ve seen to this is a “happy knob” for my GTP (3.8L V6 Supercharged). While it doesn’t do it the same way, the effect is the same - more timing. Some guys who got a little too happy end up knowing first hand why knock is also called detonation - on a high performance engine sucking hot pressurized air it is very easy to push too hard and blow a piston.

I suppose that the line between performance and damage is more thin in a supercharged application, but still it made me think that with extra timing you could potentially do damage to the engine if it was hot and you drop the hammer. The knock sensors should kick in and pull the timing, but by tricking the computer with this mod you’ve got it playing defense on the reaction side. React too slow and you could cause damage.

2) Emissions. One of the reason car manufacturers don’t have tons of timing in their vehicles is emissions regulation. The more rich you run the worse your emissions. I suppose the negative effects from this would be not wanting to get the vehicle inspected with the wire on and possibly shortening the life of your catalytic converter. Better fuel mileage would probably balance the greater pollution, but there’s no way to check that.

Anywho, again if I seem way off the mark on this let me know. I’d also like to hear other’s opinion on this mod, especially if any of our folks have done it. I’m looking at increasing fuel efficiency on our Libby and it seems that the Dodge guys love this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I assume you are talking about a "wire" that changes the "resitance" readings to a certain input. I would think that you would be "much" better off getting the Chrysler B&G reflashed ECU that is a proven improvement. Look under KYLiberty for more inforamtion. I know the "wire" is cheap, but you usually get what you pay for.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:53 pm 
LOST Addict

The power wire tricks the computer into thinking the air temperature is 20 degrees colder. This causes the computer to advance the timing, and to increase the fuel by around 2% at WOT. It pretty much does the same thing as a Jet chip for less money. However, mine dropped 5 peak hp on the dyno with a Jet stage 1 chip when we tested it, so I don't know if the power wire would actually help. They're not very expensive if you want to test it, but dyno time will cost you.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

After doing a little research, it looks like it will help IF you are running lean. You won't see a lot of difference from the 2 or 3 degree advance in timing either. But how much difference do you expect for $35. You're probably running a little rich though. A reworked throttle body will help that. The computer in newer vehicles is actually pretty impressive. You're always better off getting it reprogrammed than trying to lie to it. The B&G performance flash is $450, but it really works. I think they have a gas miser flash for $350 also.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...