It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What works best on the 3.7 ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:44 pm 
LOST Member

On my ranger, I have jba headers, an intake, gibson catback, udp, and I got them dieled in with a bama programer. It runs very strong and the hp and toruqe increase was very noticable. The intake didn't do alot, the headers helped the topend, the catback made noise (thats a good thing), the udp helped free up some torque and the programer got the mods working well together, I've done jeep inline motors with header, larger tb and spacer, intake and so forth with good results, but I've never done a chyrsler v6. What mods does the v6 respond well to ? Where is it most restrictive, in the air intake side, or the exhaust sde ? In other words, what have you guy's done that has worked well and showed power increases that you could feel. I don't mean snap your neck persay, just upgrades that made a difference. Thanks in advance.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:02 pm 
LOST Addict

The drop in K&N will give you a slight increase. The K&N or AEM cone setups will add just a little more, unless you do a "$4 cold air intake modification" which will give an increase above around 35 mph. Adding a Profinish-Proglass hood will add considerably more power to the cone intakes. The Fastman throttle body provides a nice improvement to the throttle response, and a noticeable increase in power. The catback exhausts seem to make a nice difference in power, but I only have experience with the Borla dual outlet. I really like it. The fit is perfect, it sounds great, and the power increase was definately noticeable. It's not too free flowing to make you lose low end torque though. Currently there are no headers available for the 3.7. JBA has made the prototypes, but they are awaiting CARB approval. The B&G flash will delete your torque management, increase your timing, tighten up your shifts, and adjust your fuel curves. It's necessary to get everything working together well. Going to 4.10 gears will give you a noticeable increase in acceleration and power off the line, but they will cost you at high speeds. If you have an early KJ with the 45RFE transmission, the APS Precision custom torque converters really help. I had them make mine with a 2500 rpm stall and a 2.53 multiplier. If you're looking for towing or crawling, you'll probably want a lower stall. You can also get the Transgo performance shift kit from them. It makes it shift much faster. It actually feels like it is surging forward on WOT shifts. Really cool. It also increases the line pressure and helps it lock up a lot better.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:32 pm 
LOST Member

I dont have a bolt-on Borla, but one of their universal mufflers welded in. I think I lost some low end torque, but it was just enough to warrant a change in how much I step on the pedal during stoplight to stoplight driving (not a big deal unless you're into racing). However, I did gain quicker acceleration from 60-80mph and much quicker acceleration from 80-100mph.

Some items that definitely DO NOT work well on the 3.7L gas engine.
-throttle body spacers
-that Tornado intake fin thingy
-the JET chip (stage 1 or 2)

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:20 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, so pretty much the stuff that works on my 4.0 v6, will work on the 3.7. I didn't mean that my intake did nothing, I ment by it's self it doesn't do much. Open up the exhaust side and the intake howls. The real secret was the bama programer, it got everything working in harmony, plus added it's own power increases. Tunning is the trick on any engine for the best results. I didn't need a bigger tb on the 4.0, it allready has a 65 mm, plenty big enough for the mods I have. How big is the stock 3.7 tb and how much bigger is the fastman ? I'm going with the 67 mm cosworth tb on my focus. I want the AEM brute force intake for the 3.7, it's a good quality product, and no oiling the filter. I used k&n for years, I'm just not real happy with the amount of dirt they let past, but they flow like a river. Thanls for all the advice !!

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed