It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gibson Exhaust
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:49 am 
LOST Junkie

I've lately been interested in the Gibson Swept Side exhaust for my KJ. For the price..it seems like a pretty good buy. One question though...is this system a bolt on or will it require welding? Because its sold as a system I'm lead to believe it's bolt on...but I'm not sure. How do any of you guys with the Gibsons like the sound and fit and finish? Loudness is not an issue...this is my vehicle so it won't bother me at all. It wouldn't hurt to have a little more sound... :)

I debated the Flowmaster...but I have second thoughts. It's cheap and would be easy to install because my dad can weld really well...but if I were to ever sell the KJ I would want to put the OEM back on. So cutting/chopping/welding is not really an option if I can avoid it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GIB%2D17205&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Sorry if its been posted before...the threads I read didn't really seem to answer my questions all that well.

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:27 am 
LOST Newbie

the last Gibson exhaust I bought was for my 98 Tacoma. It was not bolt on and the muffler was rusting at the seams after two years. It was stainless steel and still rusted that quickly. I would spend the extra money and get something different.

currently 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 4X4 2500 CTD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:18 am 
LOST Junkie

I debated Magnaflow but after doing some research...many KJ owners with the Mangaflow say it sounds too much like a 4 Cyl. coffee can Japanese vehicle. Thats NOT what I want BTW.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 am 
LOST Member

FastTRX wrote:
I debated Magnaflow but after doing some research...many KJ owners with the Mangaflow say it sounds too much like a 4 Cyl. coffee can Japanese vehicle. Thats NOT what I want BTW.... :lol:

Exactly, my friend also says like that, he said that the sound looks like Nissan ZX :P

Moper Cool Air Intake (Done)
FastMan Throttle Body (Done)
PCM Flash (Done)
Ring and Pinion (Done)
Shift Kit (Done)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:03 am 
LOST Junkie

Yep...thats definitly what most of us DONT want....thats for sure! :roll:

Just something a bit throatier, louder, and all around better sounding. I think I'll end up sticking with my first choice...the Gibson. The B-Day is coming up soon.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

FYI, it is not a side swept, it comes straight out the rear. It is a true bolt on system, however it was I needed to trim the tail pipe to get the clearance around the rear sway bar. Overall I am happy with it, good deep rumble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkoen01 wrote:
FYI, it is not a side swept, it comes straight out the rear. It is a true bolt on system, however it was I needed to trim the tail pipe to get the clearance around the rear sway bar. Overall I am happy with it, good deep rumble.

Gibson and Summit advertise it as a "side swept" so because I'm new to exhaust systems, I would have no idea! I'm happy its a bolt on...thats definitly a plus. If I install the exhaust I will probably ditch the rear sway bar anyways....

Glad to hear you like it...thanks for the info! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

spintech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

[quote="FastTRX"][quote="tjkoen01"]FYI, it is not a side swept, it comes straight out the rear. It is a true bolt on system, however it was I needed to trim the tail pipe to get the clearance around the rear sway bar. Overall I am happy with it, good deep rumble.[/quote]
Gibson and Summit advertise it as a "side swept" so because I'm new to exhaust systems, I would have no idea! I'm happy its a bolt on...thats definitly a plus. If I install the exhaust I will probably ditch the rear sway bar anyways....

Glad to hear you like it...thanks for the info! :)[/quote]

ok apparently you are just going to do what you want and not listen to anyone here. you apparently missed the part where the guy said his gibson rusted in a fairly short period of time, and dont waste your money on a cat back, you will gain nothing at all from anything other than a muffler change. while yur back there, leave the rear sway bar on, all thats going to do is let it go more limp back there and not transfer weight to the front wheel thats in the air spinning.