It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I want my liberty to sound like this..
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... p+cherokee

What muffles will give me that tone? Ive heard the flow master 40 in person on a liberty and it sounds like crap..

Ohh, I know this is on a cherokee, but thats the tone that I want.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:40 am 
LOST Junkie

it says right on the clip it is a gibson cat back, just put their muffler on if you want it to sound like that. dont waste your money on cat back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jcphoto20 wrote:
it says right on the clip it is a gibson cat back, just put their muffler on if you want it to sound like that. dont waste your money on cat back.

Has anyone gotten that muffler and put it on the liberty? Exhausts will sound different from Jeep to Jeep since they have different engines.

I was wondering if anyone had a muffler on their liberty that sounded as good as that one did.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you read the captions for that vid they are running the Banks system on that XJ,ceamic coated header and stainless catback system all made by Banks for a XJ.As of yet Banks does not offer anything for the KJ gasser.Plus you will never get that sound from a V-6 since that is a I-6 in that vid,all engines will have a different sound even if they have the same exhaust on(muffler,same size pipes).I-6's and V-8's will have a throatier sound due to mostly being a lower rpm torque motors unlike our V-6's being a more higher rpm HP motor.It's a hit or miss thing,buy 1 muffler and have it installed and repeat untill you find one you like,expensive but the only way to do it until your happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a "generic" Xcelerator muffler that cost me <$75 installed at Cole Muffler. I get many a compliment on how it sounds wherever I go. It sounds mean while it's idling and when I'm getting on the gas, a lot of heads turn in my direction.

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:07 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SavageUrge wrote:
I have a "generic" Xcelerator muffler that cost me <$75 installed at Cole Muffler. I get many a compliment on how it sounds wherever I go. It sounds mean while it's idling and when I'm getting on the gas, a lot of heads turn in my direction.

let's here it :twisted: post a sound clip

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject: Re: I want my liberty to sound like this..
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:44 pm 
LOST Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7551913130056422317&q=jeep+cherokee

What muffles will give me that tone? Ive heard the flow master 40 in person on a liberty and it sounds like crap..

Ohh, I know this is on a cherokee, but thats the tone that I want.

I ordered the catback Flowmaster 40 series over the weekend. Does it really sound bad? Is the 50 series any better? I have the K&N intake as well; maybe with that combo it would sound better. Any thoughts?

Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow Exhaust cat-back system
K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit
Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs
Hella 500FF Free-Form Fog Lamp Kit
Sony Xplod CDX-GT620IP Head Unit w/Sony Xplod Speakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

[quote="tjkj2002"]If you read the captions for that vid they are running the Banks system on that XJ,ceamic coated header and stainless catback system all made by Banks.[/quote]

actually the caption says its a gibson cat back.

and i cant say it enough apparently QUIT WASTING MONEY ON CAT BACK SYSTEMS! your 3.7 just does not have the capacity to make the amount of horsepower required to use a larger diameter tubing without major internal changes that would support nitrous or a blower.

if you wrapped your entire exhaust you would see an improvement in low end power, an excellent indicator that the exhaust is too big to begin with.

2 1/4 tubing would be better for overall power than any increase. you may, but i doubt it, lose some at very high rpm, i have no interest in this. but if you are one of those that would prefer your vehicle to make less power all the time you are less than 4500-5000 rpm, do not get a cat back.

if you wanna brag about the 4 hp you gained at peak over 5000, get a cat back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:04 am 
LOST Member

I totally 100% agree with you jcphoto20. I did purchase the cat back 40 series not really for high perforormance gains. I know I'm not going to make a corvette out of my Liberty just from an exhaust. I just like the sound an exhaust gives; I guess I'm used to driving loud cars. I felt my jeep is too quiet. It's just a personal preference. I also thought maybe it might help just a little tiny bit with improving gas mileage since gas is skyrocketing now. I commute an average of 2 hours a day for work and I'll do anything to help in gas mileage. It is a waste of money just to save a couple of pennies but I would like to keep my jeep for a while so it may help in the long run.

Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow Exhaust cat-back system
K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit
Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs
Hella 500FF Free-Form Fog Lamp Kit
Sony Xplod CDX-GT620IP Head Unit w/Sony Xplod Speakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 am 
LOST Addict

What's with people and the mufflers recently.. :) It is strange, all forums have this discussion..

Blake, you too?! OK..
I also said somewhere else, it sounds to me that if you want the sound and looks only, get a muffler only, a good tip or a dual tip and find someone to weld it into place, using existing pipes. For performance, mpg, etc.. get the whole exhaust. You are looking at $50-$100 vs. $500.
I just want the SOUND. And I have heard a lot of people with the muffler only, and they sound good, however so far I haven't seen a single jeep with the sound I want, even the video Blake posted. Although very close, it is not there yet.

I also would hate to hear the exhaust when I am coasting. If the muffler has a certain flow design, it will make the noise no matter when. So if anyone can tell from experience that Magnaflow or other muffler only setup will not make it any noisier inside when coasting, I would consider that.
When accellaring or flooring? who cares if it is noisy, jeep is noisy already! :) `

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i just looked at the video and it lists the mods he has done to that XJ....

Quote:
Gale Banks Stainless Steel Header - Jet Hot Ceramic Coated - Gibson Stainless Steel 2.5" Cat-Back Exhaust System - Angelus Plating ... all » Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust - Flowmaster Super 40-Series Muffler - K&N Generation II FIPK Air-Intake System - 60mm Bored Throttle Body - Jet Chip Stage II ECU - Jet 180* Degree Thermostat - Optima Red Top Battery

i'm sure he gets a lot of that deep sounds from the header... plus it says he has a flowmaster super 40....

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fairly sure Ive made my mind up that I want the Flow Master 50 series SUV. I checked on the prices at summit and they want $90. Anyone know where I could find one cheaper? Ill just cut the old muffler out and use some clamps to put the flow master in. That way I can easily put the stock muffler back in if I ever wanted.. Not sure why I would want to though. :twisted:

-Atlantic Blue
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Fairly sure Ive made my mind up that I want the Flow Master 50 series SUV. I checked on the prices at summit and they want $90. Anyone know where I could find one cheaper? Ill just cut the old muffler out and use some clamps to put the flow master in. That way I can easily put the stock muffler back in if I ever wanted.. Not sure why I would want to though. :twisted:
I believe the flowmaster50 will be way shorter than OEM muffler,you'll need some pipe to make up the difference,just have it welded,clamps will leak after time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
I believe the flowmaster50 will be way shorter than OEM muffler,you'll need some pipe to make up the difference,just have it welded,clamps will leak after time.

Theres this little thing about having people work on my jeep that I dont like. :lol:

The SUV series is supposed to be bigger than the regular 50 series. It says that it makes less interior noise that way. I figured I may still need some extra pipe, but thats something I can pick-up at a local auto parts store.

-Atlantic Blue
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Theres this little thing about having people work on my jeep that I dont like. :lol:

The SUV series is supposed to be bigger than the regular 50 series. It says that it makes less interior noise that way. I figured I may still need some extra pipe, but thats something I can pick-up at a local auto parts store.
Good time to learn how to weld then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeepjeepster wrote:
The SUV series is supposed to be bigger than the regular 50 series.

According to the specs on Summit the only difference in size is that the case is 1" thicker and 1/4" wider.

Has anyone tried Flowmaster 44 series muffler?

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:43 pm 
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

My muffler guy said the Flowmaster SUV 50 will sound very close to the Magnaflow. The only difference is that the Magnaflow isn't as lound in the interior so you're not shouting to have a normal conversation. I went with the Magnaflow and have loved the sound!

MOPAR tow hooks
RL Skink Step Sliders
Magnaflow
3/4 armored
235/70/16 Grabber AT 2
and a lot of little stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeepjeepster wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

That's the whole point of getting a cat-back. Just bolt it on and be done. Welding a muffler in is a pita. When my muffler takes a dump i'm getting the gibson cat back for like $300 i think it is at summit racing.

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:10 pm 
LOST Member

Can some of you with the varying mufflers post some sound clips I'm in the market for a muffler and instead of buying them until I find the sound I like the best, I think it would be smarter to hear some of yours and make a decision based on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

myjeepwalks wrote:

That's the whole point of getting a cat-back. Just bolt it on and be done. Welding a muffler in is a pita. When my muffler takes a dump i'm getting the gibson cat back for like $300 i think it is at summit racing.

That and the difference of price in magnaflow. $80 for muffler vs $500 for cat back..