It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kenne Bell Supercharger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ok so i got my lift and tires on now i am obsessed with a forced induction set up on my kj. I've searched the internet and apparently no one makes a supercharger kit for the libby. I've looked over a few dakota forums and they are interested in one too. It's said that it maybe possible to use one from a 4.7 but i haven't found any info to confirm it. I emailed Kenne Bell and here is what they told me.

Quote:
Hello,

What are the chances of you guys bringing back the 3.7L supercharger for liberties and dakotas? I feel there should be alot more demand for them now since this motor has been out for a few years. Do you have any of these left laying around? I am seriously interested

thanks
Jeff

Quote:
We do not have a kit for the 3.7 liberty anymore, sorry.

What kind of half assed answer is that? If they dont want to make money the hell with them. I'm now looking into one of those after cat turbo setups.

seems to be somewhat popular for tacomas, maybe the universal kit fo the kj?

http://www.ststurbo.com/

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They don't make the kit anymore because the top piston rings on our engines are to close to the top of the piston which leads to all sorts of problems(broken pistons) when forced induction is used.They have the warning for the 4.7 guy's to since they use the same pistons in the 4.7 as the 3.7.You would have to rebuild the engine with different pistons to live with a supercharger or turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
They don't make the kit anymore because the top piston rings on our engines are to close to the top of the piston which leads to all sorts of problems(broken pistons) when forced induction is used.They have the warning for the 4.7 guy's to since they use the same pistons in the 4.7 as the 3.7.You would have to rebuild the engine with different pistons to live with a supercharger or turbo.

Yeah i read that somewhere, but if the 4.7's have the same pistons as the 3.7's what's the difference. I can't see why they wouldn't make a kit for the 3.7 if the 4.7 has the same issues. As long as you didn't get nuts with the boost i think it'd be fine. I cant find much info on that kenne bell s/c. Did they make only one or are there other people out there with them before the kit was discontinued? :?

Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

myjeepwalks wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Yeah i read that somewhere, but if the 4.7's have the same pistons as the 3.7's what's the difference. I can't see why they wouldn't make a kit for the 3.7 if the 4.7 has the same issues. As long as you didn't get nuts with the boost i think it'd be fine. I cant find much info on that kenne bell s/c. Did they make only one or are there other people out there with them before the kit was discontinued? :?
If I remember right they only make one kit(the prototype) and scraped it after it broke the pistons.Just remember that the 4.7 has 8 cylinders to spread the boost to not six,it will live longer than the 3.7 will even at low boost.Anything under 5psi boost is a waste of time and money anyways(only like 30hp).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

The longer stroke of the 3.7, and more boost per cylinder makes the problem worse. The 4.7's still have the problem if they don't have upgraded pistons and rods, just a little more forgiving. The 3.7 could fairly easily be built for a supercharger, and if you have the 45rfe you just need an upgraded torque converter and reprogramming kit to make the transmission handle it. I discussed using a Paxton kit for the 4.7 thouroughly with KRC a while back. To do it reliably, you're going to want injectors, cams, pistons, rods, ported heads, headers, and programming in addition to the kit.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

KY Liberty wrote:
The longer stroke of the 3.7, and more boost per cylinder makes the problem worse. The 4.7's still have the problem if they don't have upgraded pistons and rods, just a little more forgiving. The 3.7 could fairly easily be built for a supercharger, and if you have the 45rfe you just need an upgraded torque converter and reprogramming kit to make the transmission handle it. I discussed using a Paxton kit for the 4.7 thouroughly with KRC a while back. To do it reliably, you're going to want injectors, cams, pistons, rods, ported heads, headers, and programming in addition to the kit.

After doing more research; compression is higher in the 3.7's like 9.6:1 compared to 9.0:1 or something in 4.7. I already got the 45rfe with the programming kit. Think i'm gonna ditch this idea because my kj is my daily driver and dont need to be screwing it up. Should of bought a TRD Tacoma they've got all kinds of stinky poo available. :x

Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, the compression is higher in the 3.7. That's one of the reasons you need custom pistons.

You need 4.10 gears. They'll help get your power back from those heavy tires. A B&G flash, and a Fastman throttle body would help also. Get some cold air to your K&N, and this combination with an exhaust will really wake it up.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:54 am 
LOST Newbie

hey guys, im new to this forum, i crossed over from streetjeeps.net. iv got the 3.7L v6 and willing to do almost anything to get this v6 to it's full poential and from what i have read on this forum, you guys have done some pritty crazy stuff to this engine and well i want a supercharger from kenne bell, will the 4.7L supercharger work for our 3.7L. i read some were that it would with no problem, and im already in the works of ordering some parts from KRC, ross pistons, cam, h beam rods, ss rockers, and a retainer kit and its gunna add up to about $2,450.00 which im willing to spend only if i can find a supercharger for the V6, also our motors are completely identical right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Talk to Marty at KRC about the Paxton supercharger kit for the 4.7. You'll probably want something like their 224 cams, and pistons with a little lower compression ratio for the supercharger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

i dont like paxton that much. iv heard alot of negative things about their superchargers, and at $5,300.00.... screw that! i might as well buy the 6.1L hemi crate motor. Kenne Bell are being A- Holes, they stopped selling the 4.7L Kit after they got great production sales. why would someone stop producing a good selling product?

Last edited by scaryanias on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I think they took it off the market since there is the problem of the rings being too high on the rings of both the 4.7 and 3.7. I still wonder about the numbers from Kenne Bell on the supercharged Libby they built. 166 rwhp and 193 ftlbs torque is a factory freak for an automatic Liberty. Usually more like 155 rwhp and 175 ftlbs torque. Also, a stock automatic KJ usually runs the quarter mile in around 17 seconds. But their stock run was 18.6 seconds. With the supercharger it only ran a 16.1. Mine outruns that pretty easily without the bottle, and by around 2 seconds with a 75 shot. I'm taking a guess here, but this is what I think. Their stock Liberty was actually the Performance West Liberty Patriot with a lift and 245/75R16 MTR's. They ran it on a Dynojet dyno, and adjusted it to put about 80% of the manufacturer claimed hp to the ground. They left the dyno calibrated like that, and ran it with the supercharger. 18.6 seconds with the MTR's sounds about right. 2.5 seconds off the quarter with about 30% more power sounds about right too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:50 pm 
LOST Addict

If that's how they came to the dyno numbers, I really wouldn't mind getting my hands on one and an intercooler. That's really good if it's no intercooler, 3.73 gears, stock transmission, and big heavy MTR's, like I think it is. That also would have been one of, if not the first people to reprogram the ECU for the 3.7. I think mine was the first that B&G did for it. That Liberty Patriot was wicked. I'm going to have a local installer for Katzkin do my interior like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:03 am 
LOST Newbie

cool, i wish they would bring back the 3.7L or the 4.7L superchargers from kenne bell, and i bet you'd be the first to snag one hu? man if you would add a kenne bell supercharger, with all the mods you already have on your 3.7L id bet youd get some really good numbers like 320HP or sumthin close to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:26 am 
LOST Newbie

theres no way i can fit that 4.7 paxton kit on my 3.7.. the danmm coolant box is in the freakin way and it takes up alot of room. that sux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Relocating/replacing the coolant box would probably being one of the easiest parts to make that thing work.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

REKIII wrote:
Relocating/replacing the coolant box would probably being one of the easiest parts to make that thing work.

Bob

100% true!!

Does anybody know what happened to that yellow patriot liberty. Was it sold or destroyed? Did anyone ever buy one of those kenne bell kits for the 3.7 or was it just a prototype for that liberty?

Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think it was just a prototype. They never went into full production for it because of the issues described earlier.

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject: Re: Kenne Bell Supercharger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok I know this had nothing to do with a supercharger, but my question is, do you have to have the 45 not the 42 transmission to run boost? I have an 05 lib with the 42, I want to have a custom built engine to be able to handle boost, its not going to be a racer no way. They priced me at a possible 3,500.00 for the custom engine to be built. and the boost for the engine would only be around 6-8 PSI. custom turbo or something along that line of boost by turbo lab. Not saying that it is going to be done but i would like to know everything that needs to be done before I even try it. Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

short term, yeah the 42 will work as long as you're not dogging it, which naturally you're going to want to, and if you're hot on it the 42 isn't going to last very long

the entire setup will be much, much happier in the long run to put a trans behind the motor that is a bit beefier than the 42, your gearing will be more suitable as well

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Id be affraid to in the 42rle, but thats just me.

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908