It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold Air Intake
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

My Boyfriend just put a 2.5 lift and some 245s on my jeep and its driveing great. Im thinking that i want to try some stuff to get a little power back (not that I need too) are the Cold Air Intake on ebay for aroung 5 buck worth a damm or do i need to look in to a nice $100 pluse set up from ram air or someone like that

thanks

Sara

MY lights are BLUE!!!!

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/texastj
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2080764

Post subject: Re: Cold Air Intake
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TexasSara wrote:
My Boyfriend just put a 2.5 lift and some 245s on my jeep and its driveing great. Im thinking that i want to try some stuff to get a little power back (not that I need too) are the Cold Air Intake on ebay for aroung 5 buck worth a damm or do i need to look in to a nice $100 pluse set up from ram air or someone like that

thanks

Sara
Just keep the stock air box,It flows more then enough for the 3.7.Just get one of Amsoil EA seris filter's from JJKJ(hay,beat you to it JJ :lol: :lol: !) for better filtering and have a free flow filter.Then change to a low restriction muffler like Flowmaster,no need to get a complete cat-back system,the stock pipe are big enough and mandrel bent already.Also you can change to all synthetic oils for better performance and protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:51 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Yes keep the stock box, after running a Rustys air tube and K&N with a home built airbox for over 50,000 miles I changed back over to the stock box with a 6 inch dryer vent hose running up to the grill and got almost 21mpg to Boston and back running 72/75 most of the way and then running around town etc. So although I tried to convince myself that it was better it really wasnt ...sounded good but..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

All CAI does is allow for colder air to hit the engine.. if you can do that for 15 bucks with some tubing and creativity... seems a better choice than a 100 setup. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:33 am 
LOST Member

I wouldn't hit a dog in the butt with an ebay intake. If yoiur going to do an intake, do it right with a good AEM system. The dryflow filter is self cleaning every time you hit a bump. An oil guaze fiter lets dirt stick to the oil, so the dirtier it gets, the better it filters, but starts restricting air. If you play in the water a lot, you will want a closed intake like volant. I don't mess with deep water, so I perfer the open element intakes. I have AEM and K&N, I was so impressed with AEM, I even put the AEM dryflow filter on my K&N intake. I would put the whole AEM intake on my ranger, but they don't make one for my year yet. I have the AEM cai on my focus and it dyno'ed out at 6 hp to the wheels with no other mods. The K&N on my ranger was good for 2 hp. In fairness, the focus had a more restrictive stock airbox than the ranger did. I really like the quality of AEM and the dryflow filter is a God send. You get oil on the maf of a ford and it screws things up. You get what you pay for and I believe you get your monies worth with AEM compared to some others. Remember, the air filter is the heart of an engine, do you want to trust that to a 5 dollar unproven system from ebay ? K&N is even getting a bad reputation for letting in as much dirt as it does air. If your gonna do an intake, go quality with AEM or volant.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

A good drop in like the Amsoil is the best way to go. If you are going to do some cold air mods, a good cone seperated from the engine heat helps a little more. An upgraded throttle body is where you need to look first on your air instake system. Then replace your muffler, and take care of the small decrease in diameter by it. Do all the normal maintenance, like oil change, transmission fluid, diff fluid, all with good synthetic. Reset the ECU, and you'll have done the effective, affordable upgrades to performance. After that, it starts getting more expensive. You can actually take it pretty far though.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...