It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:46 am 
LOST Addict

scaryanias wrote:

what do you mean at a low setting?

this is gunna be fun!

Only a few psi of boost to start with so you don't end up with a short block sitting in your garage like me.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject: Re: STS Turbo 3.7L V6
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28 am 
LOST Newbie

I was wondering the same thing... Can it be done...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

CowBoyProtectionUnit wrote:
I was wondering the same thing... Can it be done...

Short answer..............NO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
LOST Member

If you want to do it right, I advice Pulling the motor or finding a junk yard motor and building it first. The factory 3.7 pistons have the ring lands to high.
You will kill the motor with any small amount of Knock even on low boost. Also I would not do any tuning with the factory ecu and a flash. There is just not enough resolution for fine tuning the fuel and timing maps.

http://www.diyautotune.com/

450awhp/400awtq autocross slut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:43 am 
LOST Newbie

i think boosting a stock 3.7 is suicide.........but what if you added e85 to keep the knock away... :dead:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:41 pm 
LOST Member

Twack wrote:
i think boosting a stock 3.7 is suicide.........but what if you added e85 to keep the knock away... :dead:

You could do e85 but your going to need a injector that is 20-30% bigger. Then comes the question of how are you going to tune the car. Are you adding full standalone or going to try and use the factory ecu. I'm not sure if the factory ecu has the Room in the global scaling to account for the size of injector you would need.

On my car I could get a way with say a 880cc injector for race gas at my power level. But for e85 I have to run a 1200cc injector to get the same power.

For a turbo 3.7 I would say to be safe you would need to run a 450-550 injectors. just to be safe on pump gas. If running e85 your going to need a 720+ injector.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Brianawd wrote:
Twack wrote:

You could do e85 but your going to need a injector that is 20-30% bigger. Then comes the question of how are you going to tune the car. Are you adding full standalone or going to try and use the factory ecu. I'm not sure if the factory ecu has the Room in the global scaling to account for the size of injector you would need.

On my car I could get a way with say a 880cc injector for race gas at my power level. But for e85 I have to run a 1200cc injector to get the same power.

For a turbo 3.7 I would say to be safe you would need to run a 450-550 injectors. just to be safe on pump gas. If running e85 your going to need a 720+ injector.

just saw that you drive an evo! one of my other cars is a built 92 talon running e85.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:46 am 
LOST Member

Good old 1g. I have a a few over the years.
Before the Evo I have a galant vr4 the made 562awhp on e85. I parted it
Out to buy the Evo.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:19 am 
LOST Addict

scaryanias wrote:
hmmmm.... $3.780.00 for my turbo set up, with the electric boost controller ( 15 psi ), BOV, Garrett GT 67. not bad, i think, i still need to add the stainless steel tubing which i have no idea how much that will cost, and im also thinking about adding and intercooler but not shur if its worth another thousand dollars. Forged pistons, Rods, ss rockers, valve springs, camshafts, another $2,890.00 but that will be after the turbo is installed becouse im not gunna drop 8 grand all at once. then i gotta upgrade the transmission, gear ratio, brakes, it's gunna take some time to complete this project, but i think it will be fun smoking peoples asses on the street, knowing they got their booty kicked by a beastly V6. after all is done im hoping for atleast 400HP, call me crazy, but this is possible and ill make it happen.

I would put in at least a small intercooler just to keep the air charge cool. You may not need it at 5psi but you most certainly will at 15psi. If not you will risk knock. At 15psi you are doubling atmospheric pressure and will likely double the air charge temperature over the ambient temp. On a hot day with no intercooler you will see high 100's. Thats horsepower out the window since you will have to pull a silly amount of timing to prevent knock