It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: arb locker question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

i'm very interested in getting a locker for my '04 4x2 renny & i'm clueless as to what to get or where to get it. i'm not interested in off-roading it i just want less wet road slipage & i'd like to avoid any negative changes in ride or gas mileage. i heard a limited slip or locker is what i need. i realize there are many different kinds for different applications & have no idea where to start. anyone have any suggestions? please help!!!!! thanks!!

ImageImage
*** 3 DECADES OF JEEPS ***
06 Liberty Renegade, Inferno Red/Tan
97 Wrangler, Jeep Green/Tan

Post subject: Re: arb locker question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mjp75jazz wrote:
i'm very interested in getting a locker for my '04 4x2 renny & i'm clueless as to what to get or where to get it. i'm not interested in off-roading it i just want less wet road slipage & i'd like to avoid any negative changes in ride or gas mileage. i heard a limited slip or locker is what i need. i realize there are many different kinds for different applications & have no idea where to start. anyone have any suggestions? please help!!!!! thanks!!
Your best bet for on road driving and having the extra grip go with a Detriot TrueTrac,you'd be wasting your money on a ARB air locker in a 2wd,plus you'd not want to operate the airlocker on the street.The Detriot TT is the best LSD out there,no clutches to wear out(gear driven,no friction modifier needed),about $450(?) from 4wheelparts.com.Plus the TT will be completely invisable on road until you need it,no negitive road manners,no strange noises,no sudden activation(like lunch box lockers),and darn near indestrucable.With a little e-brake action you can make it act like a locker also.I run one in the front diff of my KJ and love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:36 pm 
LOST Member

cool thanks alot! i went on 4wheelparts.com & found the one you're talking about, i think. there was no designation for liberty or KJ. is it a chrysler 8.25-29 spline axle in my renny? also, should i have my jeep dealership install it or can i use any qualified mechanic? thanks again!!!!

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mjp75jazz wrote:
cool thanks alot! i went on 4wheelparts.com & found the one you're talking about, i think. there was no designation for liberty or KJ. is it a chrysler 8.25-29 spline axle in my renny? also, should i have my jeep dealership install it or can i use any qualified mechanic? thanks again!!!!
Yep get the one for the 8.25 with 29 splines.I would not have it done at the dealer,find a good 4 wheel shop or a shop that does gears(some tranny shops do them).Probally looking at somewhere between $250-$350 for install,don't forget a master insatll kit,might as well replace all the bearings and seals while they have it all apart(about $100 for a master install kit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:42 pm 
LOST Member

Great! thanks alot for your help. i would never have figured any of that out. now it's time to do a little saving $$$. love, love love your rig by the way...wow...

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Does the TrueTrac get squirly and throw the rear end around really easily when it's slick like the factory LSD? I'd be interested in switching mine out if it doesn't.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KY Liberty wrote:
Does the TrueTrac get squirly and throw the rear end around really easily when it's slick like the factory LSD? I'd be interested in switching mine out if it doesn't.
I can't say from first hand experiance since mine is in the front,but I have a buddy back in SD that had the TT in the rear of his Chevy P/U,never had any issues in the snow and ice,then again he always tried to fishtail,I would to with 500HP under the hood 8) .