It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intake/Exhaust Mods?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Has anyone done any kind of mods to their KJ's intake or exhaust? Things like cold air intake, throttle body or spacer, headers, dual exhaust, high flow cats... you get the idea. I'm wondering about performance, mpg, sound, "bang for the buck"... any and all input is appreciated!

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:55 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Everything has been tried at least a dozen times, best think to do is get a Amsoil air filter, replace the muffler, only the muffler replacing all is a waste of money..muffler and tail pipe, and that about it for chaep and best bang for the buck, I ran a K&N with Rustys air tube for 45000 miles went back to stock box and dryer vent hose out to the grill and does great

Of course here comes a 100 more anwers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:49 pm 
LOST Member

Don't do what I did and have the local muffler shop replace your muffler with their whatever-brand glasspack. Sounds like complete doo doo. I wish I'd kept my stock muffler really bad now.

2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bump

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't waste your time or money on a throttle body spacer. I bought one on eBay some time ago, only because I wanted to try it out and I got it for a song. After putting it on, I noticed a slight increase in acceleration and a high pitched whistling coming from under the hood, sort of like a turbo blow-off whistle. I liked the sound of it under hard acceleration. After about 6,000 miles it starting squeaking when accelerating after it accumulated some dirt. Off it came right after I cleaned it and the squeaking went away. I determined that it made no difference in gas mileage, but if anything a decrease because I was accelerating harder because I liked the sound of it :-)r I resold it on eBay for 3 times what I bought it for!

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Amsoil drop in filter or K&N along with a good muffler is what most people do.

You can replace the cats if you like but its illegal depending on your state laws. There are headers out but Im unsure for what years.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Good advice so far. Install a good drop in air filter. Replace the muffler, and take care of the slight decrease in exhaust diameter by the muffler. If you want a dual exhaust, then go with the Mopar/Borla dual outlet. It's not a true dual, but if it was you wouldn't have a high enough exhaust velocity and would lose power on the low end. On the cats, they are federally mandated and it's a $2500 fine on each of them in the US. I would recommend leaving them alone. JBA can make headers for the 2005-2006, and maybe the 2007. They will not fit the 2002-2004. Be prepared to wait 6 months for them if they actually make a set for yours. I would recommend the Fastman throttle body instead of a spacer. For the computer, you'll want a B&G flash. As far as the transmission, both the 42RLE and 45RFE benefit from a Transgo shift kit and an APS torque converter. Regearing to 4.10's will help the power curve on the low end, but will cost you at high speeds.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject: I agree with what Tom Said
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 am 
LOST Addict

I started all sorts of things the very day I drove it off the lot,First PIAA headlight bulbs, convert everything over to synthetic, then went to a local muffler shop that does Custom work Headers dual exhaust conversion performance muffler. The first thing the owner of the muffler shop said was don't waste your money, Headers confuse the computer and create more problem that aren't worth, duals once again don't waste my money no improvements unless seeing dual pipes coming off your Jeep is the be all. He findly said let him install a MagnaFlo, after installation he said the old muffler was toast anyway and it sounded real good now. Now this guy could have milked me for all it was worth and done all I requested. But after all these years messing around with cars and trucks and motorcycles, if a mechanic says "do your self a favor don't waste your money. I tend to beleive and hold the mechaic in high regard and go out of my way to streer business his way word of mouth canbe the best advertising. 8) :wink:

Post subject: Re: I agree with what Tom Said
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rush345 wrote:
I started all sorts of things the very day I drove it off the lot,First PIAA headlight bulbs, convert everything over to synthetic, then went to a local muffler shop that does Custom work Headers dual exhaust conversion performance muffler. The first thing the owner of the muffler shop said was don't waste your money, Headers confuse the computer and create more problem that aren't worth, duals once again don't waste my money no improvements unless seeing dual pipes coming off your Jeep is the be all. He findly said let him install a MagnaFlo, after installation he said the old muffler was toast anyway and it sounded real good now. Now this guy could have milked me for all it was worth and done all I requested. But after all these years messing around with cars and trucks and motorcycles, if a mechanic says "do your self a favor don't waste your money. I tend to beleive and hold the mechaic in high regard and go out of my way to streer business his way word of mouth canbe the best advertising. 8) :wink:

What is the location of this muffler shop?

Post subject: Re: I agree with what Tom Said
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 am 
LOST Addict

NomadKJ wrote:
Rush345 wrote:

What is the location of this muffler shop?

The intersection of Kipling and Colfax, and if you need an exceptional mechanic. Continue west on Colfax till Simms/Union turn right and about 4 to 5 miles down on your right hand side at Mississippi and Sims is Lakewood 5 Star ask to talk to O.T. he is the owner he isn't the cheapest in town but if he can save you money he will if he can buy you time he will. He kept my old Dodge Dakota at least 3 years longer then it should have. He is real people not out to just take your money.
His phone is 303-716-3005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

dont go with a tbs, waste of money. magnalfow exhaust on stock pipes, k & n drop in filter...great combo. make sure to get the job done by an exaust fabricator, the dealer or the full cat back systems RIP you of your money.

Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3072609