It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sound compare Magnaflow and Flowmaster exhaust
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:52 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

wondering if anybody has 1st hand experience between these? looking for something with a bit more throaty sound than stock muffler but not too loud. Thanks in advance,
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm looking for the same thing as you are, so it seems. I was told via post and PM that the Magnaflow is better than the Flowmaster, but I do not have first-hand knowledge of this. I'm still considering which way I want to go. This probably doesn't help... sorry. :oops:

STEVE

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:03 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

I am putting the Magnaflow CatBack on the Christmas wishlist. My used 2005 came from the Pittsburg area and everything under there is showing signs of rust, probably from salty winters so I am thinking of replacing it all! 8) Probably should wait until spring though to miss this coming winters salt. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

Go on Youtube , there are a few examples of both. I have a Aero turbine coming in hopefully this week and I'll let you know how it does.

Post subject: I have a MagnaFlo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:33 pm 
LOST Addict

If you like to spend extra money buy the Cat Back. I found out after I bought the MagnaFlo only that the stock pipe is the same size as the more expensive Cat Back Kit. I paid $150.00 total installed. I didn't even check on the price of the Cat Back Kit. I stopped at a muffler shop who advertised Flowmaster I would pay almost $400.00 for them to install the system in my '02. I quickly GRABBED the batter cables to re-start my Heart :shock: :P . So I drove down the street to his competitor who advertised custom headers and exhaust systems installed. I asked about headers, the owner said "Don't waste your money headers would just confuse the computer and cause me greif". So he said just go with the muffler and when he quoted $150.00 I couldn't get it on the lift fast enough. So save your money, unless it's burning a hole in your pocket. Then convert to synthetic oil, tow hooks, sliders, skid plates, bumbers, lighting, lifts, tires and wheels. Or if you really have to much I'll happily give my address and you can just start sending me money :shock: :roll: . I promise I'll send back any I don't want, :twisted: :wink: :lol: :twisted: 8) :-)r :-)r

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:47 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

aren't the catback pipes all stainless? what about stock pipes? mine are rusted up pretty bad.

BTW, I'll get to your list of upgrades right after the price of gas goes down to where I can afford them all. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

with a magnaflow cat back you get a full stainless exhaust, the bends in the pipe over the rear axle are not as extreme as stock and you get a nice rolled tip! we'll worth the money if you ask me. btw go with magnaflow, it sounds much better than the flowmaster.

Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ive got the Flowmaster 50 SUV and I love it. Its not an incredibly deep note but it has a really nice rumble at lower rpms.

Once you get around 2.5+ it doesnt sounds as good though, still alot better than stock.

It has alittle drone around 75mph+ too. It just happens that they raised all the speed limits around here to 70mph right when I got that muffler too. It was 65mph before so I did 70mph and I couldnt here it. :roll:

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

I got a Flowmaster 40 Series at Advance Auto for $75...took it to a local mechanic who installed it for $45. So my total...$120. Sounds great, although pretty quiet in the upper RPMs. Sounds awesome at startup/idle. Nothing more I can say...other than that you're guna pay around $300 something for the cat-back.

Find a buddy who can weld.... :wink:

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm scheduled for an install of the Magnaflow - it will be a 14". Muffler and tailpipe only, installed/welded for about $130.

I'll post with my opinion when it is done!

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:31 am 
LOST Member

im sort or partial here because of the 40 series ive got but id say for the price id go with flowmaster. they both sound about the same in my opinion. Just dont go with the borla its about the worst possible config for exhaust.

coming soon: Corbeau Moab seats, JBA 6"lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just installed a Magnaflow yesterday and it sounds great. You can barely tell at idle, but they do get louder as time goes on. When going through the RPM range the sound is noticeable. I went with the Magnaflow because it has a straigh through design. I can look straight through it eventhough it comes out on the side of the muffler. I went with the it based on a video on youtube.

The pipe after the muffler is a good diameter, but it makes alost a 90 degree bend. I'm thinking of putting a curved pipe on the end of the muffler and having it exit out the side.

Oh by the way the muffler was about $70 and the hardware (clamps pipes and connectors) was about $20, so for the price I think its great

Down Right L.O.S.T. Florida #223221
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224536

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:34 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

where does the extra cost come in on the catback? the stainless pipe cost s that much? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DryBones wrote:
where does the extra cost come in on the catback? the stainless pipe cost s that much? :?

I guess on some vehicles that the pipe diameter is a bit bigger to give better flow, but on the KJ's, stock is 2.5" & so is the Cat-back. Stainless is expensive though so maybe that's it. My local muffler shop, where I'm getting the 14" Magnaflow installed on Tues, pretty much told me that for the KJ's, it's not worth the extra jack for the cat-back. That meant a lot to me.

L.O.S.T. #075255

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:58 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

maybe I will do the same thing and just replace the tailpipe with a new standard pipe. mine is looking pretty rusty and my OCD won't let me keep that on there for much longer... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Either company puts out great product. the 40 or 50 series flowmasters and the universal magnaflows are great. im running a magnalfow on stock pipes with a chrome tip with some modifications to the stock pipes by an exhaust fabricator who opened up the choke points all to 2 1/2" diameter. entire thing cost me 150, sounds fantastic...nice and throaty not to loud and im getting about 15 more hp out of it and the difference is DEFINTELY noticeable.

Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3072609