It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:09 pm 
LOST Member

one other thing to keep in mind when using an oiled filter.

you have to be extremely diligent about oiling the filters evenly and very little oil should be used.

There have been instances of the oil adversly affecting sensors (MAF and otherwise) if the filter is not properly ( read over) oiled.

I have one on my S10 and it sounds cool, but I will probably go back to oilless one of these days.

I will not be putting one on my jeep ...

Skink super sliders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bodz123 wrote:
:lol: You would think we were talking politics or religion! :lol: I am just saying I have noticed an increase in mileage, throttle response ease of engine rev and great sound.....thats it, my jeep see's 95% asphalt and of that 95%, 50% is freeway. And I have never found ANY dirt in the intake side of the filter on any cars or trucks I've had. Thats it. I will see If I cant post some pics of my camaro, unfortunitly I sold it about six months ago :( to some 20 something kid and he has probably wrapped it around a pole by now. I put 9 years in that car, I raced auto x and draged it (just for fun) with local car clubs and friday night drags at the strip out here. I really miss it. I swore I would never sell that car :evil: but a wife and three kids sure does change your persective over the years.

Auto X is really cool...and while I've never done it, I'd really like to if I could get the chance. I work at Hoosier Tire Midwest (race tire distributor for Hoosier) and we sell ALOT of Auto X tires. We specifically have a radial for Auto X, named the A6. They are probably one of the biggest sellers because Auto X is soo popular around here (relatively inexpensive racing).

Anyways...while I personally don't think the CIA will affect HP too greatly...I sure would like to see what it could do to MPG mated with other modifications that could decrease fuel consumption in our piggy little 3.7s. Maybe we can give some magazines an idea...

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bodz123 wrote:
Dont believe everything you read on the internet either, about 90% of it is b.s.

Bodz123 wrote:
K&N has lots of info and done lots of research on their web page and it has led me to believe that an oiled filter doesn't pass any significant ammount of particles that a dry paper would. Bobstheoilguy.com also has done independent testing and if I remember right the amsoil filter peformed worse than the K&N (I believe), check it out

:shock:

Back to the OP...it has been tried time and time again to try and get more power outta jeep engines whether it be headers, CAIs, exhaust, high flow cats, etc and the verdict on every wrangler site is.....

IT CANT BE DONE :lol: Its a jeep, the engines dont respond to chips or gimicks very well, if at all. Maybe the 3.7 would stand a better chance of some "gains" but I guarantee my 4.0 dont...just let it be and accept you bought the jeep for somethin more than mileage I hope :roll: :lol:

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have done lots of research on cold air intakes. Us diesel guys driving big diesel trucks are very familiar with all the different air intakes on the market. One thing that you need to remember is that air will only flow as fast as the air filter will let it flow. Amsoil’s drop in filters have so much more surface area than the factor air filter and they flows easier. Second, you have to understand that the engine runs off oxygen, not air alone. Obviously colder air has more oxygen per square inch vs. warm air. Therefore, an open air box (shielded type) does not always mean the coldest air. In some cases, the factory box will force more air than say a shielded or open air box under the hood. Just by adding an air intake tube going from the grille directly to the factory air box, I increased my mpg. There are others on this forum who have reported the same results. I agree, a Jeep is not intended for mpg. However, why not make your vehicle more efficient? I plan on adding big tires, a lift, and heavy off-road accessories, but I still want my jeep to perform at it’s optimum level. Efficiency alone increases the engine and transmission life. Sometimes one modification alone doesn’t show much horsepower or mpg increase, however, overtime, you will see an increase by doing small things such as providing an additional air inlet into the factory air box or by adding an Amsoil air filter. Start running Amsoil’s 0W30 engine oil, Amsoil’s ATF transmission fluid, Amsoil’s differential lube, change out the exhaust to a free flowing exhaust. All these upgrades will add more horsepower, more mpg increase, and create a more efficient engine.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:21 am 
LOST Junkie

I gained 2 MPG with my FIPK from K&N. Noticed it with the first tank of gas and it has not waivered in over a year. I reccommend it. but like others said, some see gains while others do not. I also just posted a thread not too long ago how switching to full synth oil has also boosted my engines performance. I think the final puzzle piece to optimal MPGs will be an improved straight through muffler like a magnaflow in conjunction with the CAI.

OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a K&N FIPK II and the $1.99 "gutter pipe mod". Immediately after I installed the "gpm" the throttle response was WOW! Not to mention the growl that came from the exhaust. I'm quite happy with it, although I do 0 (Zero, Zip, Zilch) off-roading, so dust is not a real concern of mine. HOWEVER, I have been considering the switch back to the stock box and a drop-in after reading some of the threads on here. I keep hearing that the stocker draws plenty of air, just as the stock exhaust does a more than adequate job of "exhausting" :D

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Guest wrote:
The problem is, the CAI either works, or does not. It can't work on your jeep & not mine. My belief that if works on mine & your disbelief about it working on yours has no effect on whether it is actually working or not. The Idea of "making your own decision" is illogical... it's like a light bulb, it is either on or it is off, I may believe it is on, but if there is no current flowing through the element, my belief, no matter how strong, is wrong... the light is off.

What about a light being dim?

Back On-T,

I use an Amsoil Ea Filter (as well as Amsoil fluids) And there is an SOP difference (But don't think that it will make your Libery fast - if you want that, why do you drive a 4500lb SUV?). There is not, however, the sound difference that someone else stated; those only come from aftermarket intakes as far as I know.

-Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO tires
-Self-Installed OEM tow hooks
-Self-Installed AMSOIL all fluids
-Self-Installed BAZOOKA 6", 100W Bass Tube
-Self-Installed SilverStar ULTRA main headlights

For Sale... $15k?

Post subject: Just do it !!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the K&N F.I.P.K. Gen II and the throttle response, the sound, and everything it´s better than new...i love it in conjuntion with my borla dual exhaust are a superb sinfony !!

Oh, and yes worth the cost !! every penny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

Cold air intakes work really very well. Colder the air , more dense, greater amount of air available for induction the easier the engine has to work to suck it in, and, better combustion. I did a small mod that simply was a scoop, that took up the first slotted area of the grill on the right hand side, that scoop collected the air from the high pressure area in front of the vehicle and pushed it up under the bonnet, there, I cut away a small area of plastic from the grill where it folds over flat under the bonnet just infront of the radiator support crossbeam to let the air go up, put in a sheet of rubber from the scoop up over the metal there to help guide the air up, and, point it directly at the small snorkel intake of the original V6 airbox. No difference from a standing start, but, at speed, especially on the highway it made a huge difference, much more responsive, better smoother power, all good, and still the original airbox.

I'd love to share some pics, but, now I have the ultimate Cold air intake..... A Snorkel, mate, that thing rams heaps of air into the airbox, and when you put the pedal to the metal, the induction note that comes out of the thing makes people on the road side look. Its "THE POO" I tell you. Car feels much more responsive, and I can dive thru puddles :P

I am, but, will get rid of it, running the K&N airbox filter, but, when installing the snorkel, found dust completely up thru the airbox, and connecting pipe, also, the MAF sensor, was caked with dust, affecting its readings, I don't want to think about just how much dust went into the engine, but, I'm a petrol not a diesel, so not as bad. Bad.........but, not AS BAD.

Here's some pics of the Snorkel http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=31521

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah, it's called a snorkel :)

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:39 pm 
LOST Member

Can anyone direct me to that thread on the gutter pipe mod..i just can't seem ta find it, darn it!

Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow
Al's a-arms gen4.5, Moog LBJs
custom fishing pole roof rack
front hooks & dual hitch receivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=11748

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm 
LOST Member

awesome JJ thanks :D

Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow
Al's a-arms gen4.5, Moog LBJs
custom fishing pole roof rack
front hooks & dual hitch receivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am 
LOST Addict

I spent one yearwith the K&N and had in earlier vehicles used the old Amsoil oiled filter, after dicovering the New Amsoil dry filter I noticed an immediate improvement in milage and performance then I did the PVC pipe cold intake to the stock box things got even better yet.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... 8&start=15

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I recently added my gutter pipe mod. 25 MPG highway!