It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.7L HP Gain Mods?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Has anyone bored out the 3.7 for larger pistons? Shaved the heads or polished the ports?

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:39 pm 
LOST Addict

engine swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Best place for this question is the "4X2 Discussion & PERFORMANCE MODS For All KJ's" section.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 pm 
LOST Addict

puttin' on a lil' weight Terry?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

L.O.S.T. #225019
2003 Sport 4x4
Patriot Blue w/ trail rash
Flex-Zilla 4" Lift
TrailRash hi-lift mounts
Other stuff you wish you had :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeep4me99 wrote:

Ha ha. Yes, the KJ. Not me. An engine swap would be nice. One on the guys here thinks a small block Chevy V-8 would fit. But it would be a lot of messing around what with all the blasted computers etc. + the motor. Just take the 3.7 out and build it up. No problem with it fitting at least!

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:

Ha ha. Yes, the KJ. Not me. An engine swap would be nice. One on the guys here thinks a small block Chevy V-8 would fit. But it would be a lot of messing around what with all the blasted computers etc. + the motor. Just take the 3.7 out and build it up. No problem with it fitting at least!

Terry

V8 out of a grand cherokee would be relatively easy, all the electronics and such would be compatible, could make it look almost like stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:

Terry

Could always just put a carburated 350 in there... No computer necessary :D

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe and old Ford 292 bored and stroked. The 292 V-8 was a strong engine. My brother tried to blow one once by leaving it in 2nd. gear and holding the gas to the floor. It was screeming but she made it just fine. That was in a 62 Ford.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Apparently nobody has messed with the 3.7L. Hard to believe.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:28 pm 
LOST Addict

From the looks of your signature, it looks like you need to go to 4.10 gears, get a custom torque converter from APS, a shift kit from Transgo, a throttle body from The Fastman, and a flash from B&G. That's going to make a pretty nice difference. Before going so far as boring out the 3.7 and custom pistons, I would go to something like some 200 cams and a fairly low stall on the torque converter considering it looks like you would be more interested in off roading than racing. You could also get your heads ported and polished when doing the cams. My heads have been machined out a little and polished. It makes a difference, but I haven't done before and after dyno runs on that.

I have a 3.7 short block sitting in the garage waiting to be bored. I'm trying to decide if it should be built for a turbo or a supercharger. If you really want to build the 3.7, you need to talk to Dan at The Fastman, or Marty at KRC. Wayne at APS for your transmission needs is good.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not really interested in speed at all. Just power. I know I need 4.10's and they are on the short list. I'll be posting some pics of some mudding I did today. My new tires were wonderful. I had many, many compliments one how the Liberty did. People were amazed! I went places today that one of the 2 Wranglers couldn't. Not once but twice! However, I did notice a big loss of power out there.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
I'm not really interested in speed at all. Just power. I know I need 4.10's and they are on the short list. I'll be posting some pics of some mudding I did today. My new tires were wonderful. I had many, many compliments one how the Liberty did. People were amazed! I went places today that one of the 2 Wranglers couldn't. Not once but twice! However, I did notice a big loss of power out there.

Terry

Yeah, you really need those 4.10's. I'd bet those 265's really take a lot of power to turn. Do the gears, and the bolt on upgrades first. Get a good drop in filter, a Fastman throttle body, JBA headers since you have an '05, and a good muffler. Get an aggressive B&G flash with the torque management deleted. It's going to feel similar to dropping a 4.7 in it, but for much less. Then, if it's still not strong enough for you, build the motor and transmission like I mentioned above. You'll need the other upgrades anyway.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is there any quantitative or qualitative data showing that the Fastman Throttle Body is effective? I'm looking for a few more horses..........

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:08 am 
LOST Addict

Only seat of the pants for the Fastman. I didn't do before and after dyno runs with it at $100 per hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KY Liberty wrote:
Only seat of the pants for the Fastman. I didn't do before and after dyno runs with it at $100 per hour.

Basically, the throttle body spacer increases the efficiency in blending the air (oxygen) and gasoline for a better burn, right? KY Liberty, would you say it’s worth the mod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 pm 
LOST Addict

BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:

That wouldn't be street legal. In order to be street legal the engine you swap in must be the same year or newer and be from the same manufacturer with all the emission components in tact. Not to mention the huge pain it would be to make that work and fit.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepkj02 wrote:
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:

That wouldn't be street legal. In order to be street legal the engine you swap in must be the same year or newer and be from the same manufacturer with all the emission components in tact. Not to mention the huge pain it would be to make that work and fit.

That depends on where you live. No one would ever check it in WY. BUT, making the computers accept it would be a huge PITA!

"There are few problems in life the liberal application of duct tape can't solve."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dje Ryu wrote:
jeepkj02 wrote:
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:

That depends on where you live. No one would ever check it in WY. BUT, making the computers accept it would be a huge PITA!

People do engine swaps all the time and have their vehicles legally inspected and registered. As a matter of fact, there are guys who buy diesel engines from overseas and swap them into their factory gasoline vehicles. For example, in California all you have to do is pass their smog test. A little biodiesel will help you pass with flying colors. Those conversions are then registered as a DIESEL vehicle with a legal title and inspection sticker. However, there are some places (such as Colorado) that check to see if the engine block has the same identification number as the VIN number to help cut back on auto theft and chop shops. States like KS and NM could care less what you do or how you do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Dje Ryu wrote:
jeepkj02 wrote:
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:

People do engine swaps all the time and have their vehicles legally inspected and registered. As a matter of fact, there are guys who buy diesel engines from overseas and swap them into their factory gasoline vehicles. For example, in California all you have to do is pass their smog test. A little biodiesel will help you pass with flying colors. Those conversions are then registered as a DIESEL vehicle with a legal title and inspection sticker. However, there are some places (such as Colorado) that check to see if the engine block has the same identification number as the VIN number to help cut back on auto theft and chop shops. States like KS and NM could care less what you do or how you do it.
Actually in CO if you get the swap inspected,and it is approved and passes smog you are good to go.There was a guy on the CO4x4 board selling a YJ with a TBI 350 in it and it was regesitered and certified as a '90's something Chevy 1500 pickup(the donor vehicle for the engine swap).So bassically if you get it inspected and it passes the inspectors and passes smog(if needed) you are okay.

Doing a TBI 350 swap in a KJ would be very easy,even with the PCM and wiring but anything the BCM controls would be lost or have to be modded to work without a BCM.