It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.4 Turbo?
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Eventhough I've only had this thing for a week, the lack of power is bugging my wife and I (I am trying not to complain too much since we traded the jeep for our civic sedan). I've been looking at using an srt4/ pt gt turbo/manifold setup with a custom exhuast. Does the crd libby use a front mount intercooler? Does the liberty use a return style fuel setup? A friend of mine has a Vortech fmu which adds fuel per pound of boost. I also figured I'd use a kenne bell boost a pump so that I didn't have to buy a new fuel pump (it increases voltage to the fuel pump and increses how much fuel it pushes). I haven't quite figured out about tunning yet, I've been toying with the idea of swapping in a stock srt computer since I don't think the pt gt comes with a stick.
Does anyone else (since most people have been into liberties longer than I have) see any other problems I might have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:34 pm 
LOST Addict

I think you would be a lot better off looking for a donor '03 Neon SRT4. Your 2.4 doesn't have the stronger internals, correct compression ratio, correct cam, etc. The computer situation would probably be easier too. Sounds pretty cool though.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm only planning on running like 8-10#s of boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WesB wrote:
I'm only planning on running like 8-10#s of boost.
You still need to reduce compression and change the cam and electronics to make it all work and last.Like KY Liberty said it would be best to start with a SRT4 2.4 turbo engine and put it in the KJ since it's already setup to run a turbo and the 2.4 in the KJ is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:41 pm 
LOST Member

now i know everyonw is going to jump down my throat for this one but ill say it anyway. Instead of goin up in engine size why not go down? The 2.4 in the srt-4 is a motor that has thousands of mods available for it. Including all sorts of computers that could be used for a decent price. An with the right trans, cams, an turbo it could be worked for some pretty decent lower end power? Anyone else got any input?

coming soon: Corbeau Moab seats, JBA 6"lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:46 pm 
LOST Addict

The only problem with the SRT4 motor is it's designed for a FWD car, isn't it?

Edit: And it has no torque... :P

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

C co Crusader 2/127 wrote:
now i know everyonw is going to jump down my throat for this one but ill say it anyway. Instead of goin up in engine size why not go down? The 2.4 in the srt-4 is a motor that has thousands of mods available for it. Including all sorts of computers that could be used for a decent price. An with the right trans, cams, an turbo it could be worked for some pretty decent lower end power? Anyone else got any input?
His KJ has the NA 2.4 I-4 gasser already,he wants to turbocharge it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah I've got a 2.4 5spd. I have friends with srt4s and they are quite fun to drive once you get around the torque steer. As far as the fwd vs rwd, if the block castings are the same, then the tranny should bolt up, as well as the motor mounts and I can use the liberty front accessories (alt, water pump, power steering)
This is all probably a while a way...if I do it. I'm just trying to plan out, if the situation came up I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

start checking around in junkyards. Neons are a dime a dozen. Ive come across 3 or 4 str4s already.

coming soon: Corbeau Moab seats, JBA 6"lift