It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getting bigger exhaust and cold air intake a good idea?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

looking into getting a bigger exhaust and cold air intake. half for the great sound with a cold air and so it is a better system. anyyway anyone think this is a good idea and have any suggestions as to where and what i shold get?? :lol: :lol:

MODS
Dual Sound System
Lighting 12" Sub and amp
Painted Exterior Trim (Flat Black)
Light Bar w/ 4 super sport lights
BVG Basket
VHT'D

Needs:
Lifted
Skids
Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm 
LOST Addict

I got a Flowmaster 44, sounds great, on one end and a Amsoil drop-in on the another.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

a new muffler for a good sound and a good drop in air filter and your set

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

You mostly likely will gain nothing from a new mufler, except a better sounding Jeep. I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts, $30. I got a cone style air filter from AutoZone to replace my whole stock airbox and I noticed a little smoother acceleration and a cool sound while doing so. The mods combined did not make a noticeable performance or mileage increase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RespectMyLibertay wrote:
You mostly likely will gain nothing from a new mufler, except a better sounding Jeep.
Not true. Put on a Magnaflow cat and muffler and a cold air intake (free flow) or if you go offroad a drop in free flow filter and a snorkel and you'll see a big noticeable improvement in torgue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:28 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

kacos wrote:
RespectMyLibertay wrote:
You mostly likely will gain nothing from a new mufler, except a better sounding Jeep.
Not true. Put on a Magnaflow cat and muffler and a cold air intake (free flow) or if you go offroad a drop in free flow filter and a snorkel and you'll see a big noticeable improvement in torgue.

Seat of the pants (torgue??? :? ) maybe but nothing more, (oh wait torque) :roll: :roll: :lol:

just install a muffler, bigger tail pipes get you nothing as the power of a 3.7 doesn't need anything bigger, no use wasting money on something you already have :wink:
cold air intake is a joke, sounds great but that about it, have ran both and with the stock box, good filter and a 3 inch hose coming in from the grill, have a little more power, and more MPGs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It depends what you're looking for - it won't become a dragster but it will definately improve your vehicle. Most if not all XJ's, TJ's that take part on 4x4 trophy/trial races here have done it and they all have seen a great improvement. With only the cat/muffler installed, my 2.4 is now a totally different vehicle from stock with torque starting from low rpm now. Still waiting for the snorkel to come in to finish up the kit ..
Oh and just for fun, search and have a look at how the stock 3.7 muffler looks like from the inside ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh you can also read about exhaust/intake improvements in this article:
[url=http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0701_4wd_2002_jeep_liberty_intake_exhaust/index.html]2002 Jeep Liberty - Intake And Exhaust Upgrades
More Fuel Miles For The 3.7L V-6 [/url]

by www.4wdandsportutility.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kacos wrote:
Oh you can also read about exhaust/intake improvements in this article:
[url=http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0701_4wd_2002_jeep_liberty_intake_exhaust/index.html]2002 Jeep Liberty - Intake And Exhaust Upgrades
More Fuel Miles For The 3.7L V-6 [/url]

by www.4wdandsportutility.com

Did you happen to notice just how Low those "improvement" numbers were in the article?? For the cost, it isn't worth it. I Bet you can see similar dyno number improvements by changing plugs and adding in a clean air filter over worn plugs and dirty filter. And the funny thing is to get those increases you have to keep your foot in the throttle so there goes Any MPG gains. I can see similar MPG gains just by careful driving and adding a couple PSI to the tires (at the cost of increased tire wear of course)

Fresh plugs, a clean decent flowing air filter in stock box, using full synthetic lubes and careful driving and you will have all the HP & torque you need plus fair MPG's from a heavy SUV. Investing in expensive bling intakes and exhaust will only empty your wallet of money you could put into the gas tank.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:11 pm 
LOST Addict

i have a K&N cold air intake and flowmaster muffler. i installed them both at the same time and noticed a BIG difference. throttle response improved tremendously in low and high rpm's. i also gained 4-5 mpgs. this is when my jeep had 4000 miles so i'm sure the old filter wasn't plugged... Plus both the exhaust and air intake sound cool (to me atleast) and i've used the muffler as a skid numerous times and it's still in perfect condition.

so i would say yes. it is a good idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Yea I have the intake and a super 44 offroad muffler and I have to say the sound is pretty awesome for a liberty and for performance i noticed a pretty decent increase for those two little upgrades

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:37 am 
LOST Member

In my experiance the same items don't seem to work well on all KJ's... I read alot on this board about 1) cold-air intakes not being worth much 2) cat-back exhaust not being much better or differant from stock 3) throttle body spacer's are worthless......

Well On my '06 KJ 3.7 I have a Gibson cat-back, k&n cold-air intake, and an Airaid spacer ( yes I did say I have one lol ) an I've got great results from all 3.. I started with the intake then weeks later the exhaust an a bit later the spacer went on an the performance got better an better each time. Don't get me wrong it's still no hot-rod ( buy a grand Cher. SRT-8.. I'm drooling just typing about one of these.. ) but it definatly moves much better an better MPG's to an that was my main goal... so in my humble opinion be your own judge on what works on your kj....
-Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Did you happen to notice just how Low those "improvement" numbers were in the article?? For the cost, it isn't worth it. I Bet you can see similar dyno number improvements by changing plugs and adding in a clean air filter over worn plugs and dirty filter. And the funny thing is to get those increases you have to keep your foot in the throttle so there goes Any MPG gains. I can see similar MPG gains just by careful driving and adding a couple PSI to the tires (at the cost of increased tire wear of course)

Fresh plugs, a clean decent flowing air filter in stock box, using full synthetic lubes and careful driving and you will have all the HP & torque you need plus fair MPG's from a heavy SUV. Investing in expensive bling intakes and exhaust will only empty your wallet of money you could put into the gas tank.

unfortunately, I can't find a stock 2.4L dyno to compare it with but the one below is mine with a magnaflow exhaust + cat, snorkel, drop-in K&N filter and iridium plugs, 245/75-16 cooper stt and 120k klms on the engine. The numbers aren't always representing good result - I get a much smoother torque curve and the vehicle runs better.

135.6Cv at rev/1':4907 speed 172.4 - torque 205Nm Temp 21.7, Baro: 1029mbar, Hum: 40%, DIN 70020, cor.factor: 0.987
full size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

just found the dyno below - its from a 3.7L Nitro - see any HP differences?
And this is 2nd gear - my dyno was with 6th (different ratios)
How can the Nitro have so little HP on the wheels? Weird ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:03 pm 
LOST Member

I installed K&N intake system & Flowmaster exhaust system which I noticed improvements over stock. The sound is of course much better too! :D

Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow Exhaust cat-back system
K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit
Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs
Hella 500FF Free-Form Fog Lamp Kit
Sony Xplod CDX-GT620IP Head Unit w/Sony Xplod Speakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A good quality free flowing air filter with tommudd's dryer hose cold air intake and a good muffler will be the best, most cost effective, performance modifications you can make on your KJ.

NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover