It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.7L Engine making lifter clatter... Oil pressure light on..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good evening,

Well I was on my way to Wally World on the highway traveling around 55MPH when my Oil Pressure Light came on and my engine began making this clatter noise as if my lifters were sounding. My engine sounded like a diesel...

I got to Walmart and it sounded like a Diesel when I would accelerate. So I parked, turned off the engine and checked my code. It gave me these two codes:

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P0330 - Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

Anyone mind helping me out here. Can it be the knock sensor that is bad? Where is it located on the 3.7L engine? How many knock sensors are on the 3.7L engine? I found a replacement knock sensor for $35.00 so I'm hoping this is the only thing that is wrong with it. Please help.

Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:14 pm 
LOST Addict

You have checked the oil level I hope?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes I have... oil level is at the full mark "Hot".

Any idea as to what can be it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 3.7 uses 2 knock sensors,one on each bank.If you got codes for both I doubt they both failed at the same time.With the noises you had I would be checking the actual oil pressure via a mechanical guage.You may have already destroyed your engine by driving it that way.The normal "hot" oil psi at idle is a min of 3psi,low I know but will not make the knocking you where having,that would be caused by 0psi of oil pressure which is very bad.Plus the knock sensors do not really have alot of control on how the engine runs,can change the timing but about it,so when you got codes for both at the same time and the heavy knocking you may have exceded the knock sensors causing the codes.

Get that oil pressure tested ASAP and do not drive it,tow it to a shop.

Oh and have the oil filter checked,if a FRAM it may have collapsed internally and cutting your oil pressure off to the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 pm 
MIA_02Liberty wrote:

Since when does an engine oil dipstick differentiate between "hot" and "cold"? You sure that wasn't the ATF dipstick you were looking at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok guys so I took the car in to the mechanic...

After looking at it and testing it... he came with the conclusion that it was the Oil Pump (Or something like that). Oil was not be sent to the head thus causing it to act the way it did.

Got it replaced and whole engine internally cleaned and runs like a champ!! I was scared for a minute there... I started looking for engines fearing the worst...

Thanks for your input guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:22 am 
LOST Addict

Hopefully you dodge a bullet and you can get some high mileage out of it. Usually when some parts are starved for oil, eventually in near future something is going to fail. I had an S10 blazer that blew an oil line and I got it shut down as it started to make noise, within 10-15 secs of blowout. Replaced line and drove fine for over 3 months, then one day rod knock developed. Good luck on your longevity.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 pm 
LOST Member

whenever the oil pressure light comes on, you should immediately slide the tranny in neutral and shut down the engine and pull over....every second counts. that is the one light you should not ignore (and maybe the emergency brake light :)). hopefully everything will hold up for you.

Jet Stage 2 Chip : '07 Air Intake
Relocated IAT Sensor : '05 HVAC Controls
Front Hitch : EVIC from '01 GC : Custom Rock Rails
Transgo Shift Reprogramming Kit
KC Driving Lights & Aux Backup Lights
.......all GONE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 pm 
LOST Addict

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
MIA_02Liberty wrote:

Since when does an engine oil dipstick differentiate between "hot" and "cold"? You sure that wasn't the ATF dipstick you were looking at?

I know its not automotive but most heavy equipment has either a hot/cold or a stop/low idle mark on the dip stick or sight gauge

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:38 am 
I was just curious since I hadn't seen it on my own dipstick is all. was hoping he wasn't checking his ATF inadvertently.

Post subject: Dipstick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There should be two marks of somekind on your dipstick. One will show the line where your oil level will be when the engine has been off for a while and is cold. The other line will be higher up (remember, things expand as the heat up, they'll take up more volume) and show you where your oil level is when your engine has been running for a while and heated up.

This is so you can check your oil level in either scenario. If there weren't two marks, you'd have to let you engine warm up (or cool off) before checking the oil level.

Post subject: Re: Dipstick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

VTNomad wrote:
There should be two marks of somekind on your dipstick. One will show the line where your oil level will be when the engine has been off for a while and is cold. The other line will be higher up (remember, things expand as the heat up, they'll take up more volume) and show you where your oil level is when your engine has been running for a while and heated up.

This is so you can check your oil level in either scenario. If there weren't two marks, you'd have to let you engine warm up (or cool off) before checking the oil level.
There is the hash mark area on our dipstick's,at the top of the hash mark you are holding 5qts,at the bottom you are down to 4qts.4-5 qts is the safe oil level for our engines.Oil does expand slightly when hot but not enough to tell the difference to tell with only 5qts.The reason you should check your oil when cold is so that all the oil drains back into the oil pan from the oil galley's and heads to get a true measurement.Now on construction equiptment they do have different marks but most of them are holding 4-5 gallons of oil(D7 Dozors hold 10 gallons of engine oil),a bit more then our 4-5 qts.

Post subject: Re: Dipstick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

VTNomad wrote:

At least someone here understood what I was talking about...

BTW: Engine is running perfect and runs stronger and smoother than before.. Wonder how long it was going out until it finally gave in and just mest up completely...