It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynomax V Magnaflow
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

I'm looking to get a "cat-back" exhaust for the Jeep. I've priced a magnaflow setup for $416.xx and a Dynomax for a little under $300 I'm just looking to get peoples opinions on either of these setups. if the Dynomax is a decent setup and won't sound like crap then that's the way I'll go. I just know that you get what you pay for and going cheaper is no always better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

you can save some money by only buying a muffler, getting new pipe etc that is the same size, shape and everything is throwing money away, 2.5 inch both ends by the way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:08 am 
LOST Newbie

I went magnaflow. Great exhaust, perfect fit, nice sound and it will outlast your jeep. If you go the cheap route as stated above you will have exhaust leaks or you will have to pay someone to weld it all up. I say do it right the first time. Im sure dynomax is a good exhaust but you do get what you pay for. Dynomax is aluminized steel where magnaflow is stainless.

Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:11 pm 

Bodz123 wrote:
I went magnaflow. Great exhaust, perfect fit, nice sound and it will outlast your jeep. If you go the cheap route as stated above you will have exhaust leaks or you will have to pay someone to weld it all up. I say do it right the first time. Im sure dynomax is a good exhaust but you do get what you pay for. Dynomax is aluminized steel where magnaflow is stainless.

you will have exhaust leaks, :shock: :shock: :shock: who puts your exhaust on ....some 2 cent grease monkey? If done properly and either using clamps or welding it will be fine, exhaust systems have used clamps and no welding for years without problems.

WHY do you want to spend 300 bucks when you can have the same thing for 100???? :? :? :? :? :? The stock pipe will out last the time you will own the Liberty I am sure :wink:

Oh well waste your money , glad its not mine! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

I prefer the Magnflow if I have the extra $$$$, just like the sound better. I had put a dynamax cat back on my old S10 blazer, cost me a whloe $99 and fit perfect, no leaks ever using clamps. The one I had gave a nice low rumble similar to a quiet turbo muffler, but not decent sound like a Magnaflow will give you. I think Dynomax has a stright through muffler that will be louder though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 pm 
LOST Member

The only reason i was thinking about getting the whole setup is to have the mandrel bent piping. Other than that I would just get the muffler, and if that was the case, I'd get a flowmaster 50 series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 pm 

bwtucker wrote:
The only reason i was thinking about getting the whole setup is to have the mandrel bent piping. Other than that I would just get the muffler, and if that was the case, I'd get a flowmaster 50 series.

look under the Liberty YOU ALREADY HAVE mandrel bent pipes so no need to change it :wink: :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

I did not know that...very cool. Muffler it is then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bwtucker wrote:

Good choice! Now you have a couple hundred bucks to spend on other goodies.....or a couple tanks of gas!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 pm 

JJsKJ wrote:
bwtucker wrote:

Good choice! Now you have a couple hundred bucks to spend on other goodies.....or a couple tanks of gas!

or better yet,
buy Amsoil products so that your Liberty will run better and get better fuel mileage so then you can buy more stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
bwtucker wrote:

or better yet,
buy Amsoil products so that your Liberty will run better and get better fuel mileage so then you can buy more stuff

Awww shucks....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:11 pm 
LOST Member

I actually do use Amsoil in my turbo car. I use both oil for the motor and Synchromesh for the trans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:15 am 
LOST Member

just putting in my 2 cents.. I went with the gibson aluminize cat-back an have absolutly no regrets.. cost is just under the $300.. an compared to the dynomax for the same price its a much better set-up.. instalation was oh so easy.. there are a couple tricks to it but once you know them its simple.. sound is great not at all annoying inside.. an it does not have that fart can sound of imports...
As far as the part about the pipes being the same as factory... I'm basing this only on what came off my factory KJ.. the factory exhaust on my '06 was tube bent not mandrel bent ( I know this by the wrinkles at the inside of the bends ) the Gibson has smooth bends.. an it's not the same size I put them side by side ( tried to take pics but my camera wasn't working ) the Gibson is almost a 1/4 bigger in diameter,1/8 in some spots.. an also the factory pipes changed sizes 2-3 times from the cat back... 2 months running an no leaks...
In my humble opinion, as good as it can be to spend less on a muffler change its definatly not a waste of money for just about 300 to get the whole system.. my findings are 1.0 mpg better, better sound, an better performance..

Post subject: fart-can?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I heard that the dynomax has a "cheaper" sound, and that it tends to make the Liberty sound like said "fart-can." I cannot vouch to this, as I have never actually heard it on a Liberty, but from the way it sounds on other cars, I can believe it. I would go with the Magnaflow. I am getting a Borla catback dual system, and I know that Borla and Magnaflow are pretty similar. Good luck! :D

stock as of now, but won't be for long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
bwtucker wrote:

look under the Liberty YOU ALREADY HAVE mandrel bent pipes so no need to change it :wink: :wink: :lol:

..Must be an early Liberty thing. My 05 definately did not have mandrel bent piping.. At least not after the muffler. Maybe a cost-cutting measure.

..The pipe was oval. :shock:

..Needless to say I have no tailpipe now (no biggie).

Oh, and Magnaflow all the way!!

I would wreck Kate Hudson.