It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intake Advice
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've tried to read a couple of the previous posts on intakes but all of them turn into an argument between members, could we please keep arguments out and advice in please.

Now down to the dirt, just got a new 05 KJ and I'm looking at Air Intake systems, particularly the K&N and Mopar Performance intakes, i like the cone filter idea it seems it would add more cubic inches of filter to pull air through. The down, i'm not sure if either is actually cold air, sure they have a heat "shield" but they don't look like their pulling in any cold air. Does anyone have one of these, or a similar system, or have an idea how to mod the installation to improve the intake without subjecting them to excessive dust or water?

Goodyear Duratrac's 245/75/R16 on Cregar soft 8's, Full Skids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The best thing is to do the $4 Cold Intake trick and keep the stock air box. Check old post for this. Then put an Amsoil filter in.

I have created a spin-off of the $4 intake. I actually have a scoop in the grill that funnels air into 3" tubing and then directs to the stock air box. I know I am getting plenty of cold, forced air into the engine. I put a K&N in the stock box too. After reading a lot of info on lots of auto-forums, I am going to soon be getting rid of the K&N and get the Amsoil drop-in filter.

So just save you money on the Cone filter systems. They give you a good throaty sound, but no real performance gains over the dryer vent mods.

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A cold air intake has air forced, or drawn in, from outside the engine compartment through a hose or scoop. The cold air intakes available for the Liberty only draw air in from under the hood, no outside cold air is actually being forced into the intake. It is only sucking in the air warmed by the engine which does not allow for a denser air fuel mixture that a true cold air intake would allow.

Sorry if that comes across as an aurgument, I am only trying to explain why the cold air intakes for the Liberty are not as good as ones designed for a performance vehicle.

The best system is the Tommud dryer hose modificaction (patent pending) using the stock air box. Add an Amsoil air filter (cheaper and better than the K&N) and you get a true high flow cold air intake system for a fraction of the price of the K&N or Mopar intake systems.

NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

People seem to like that Amsoil, and if it's cheaper than a 3-400 $ upgrade I'm all for it. Need to save up for the lift kit and tires anyway.

Time to do some google searching on the mods posted above, if anyone has any pictures that would be great too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a K&N FIPK setup on my wifes KJ w/ an Amsoil cone filter on it.
Sounds like a freakin vacuum cleaner when cold, lame. I would ditch it if I could but other stuff is in teh way of a stock air box.
Not impressed at all. Better than when it had the K&N filter on it but still not seeing any impovements over my Stock air box and Amsoil drop-in on My KJ.

Drop-in Amsoil Ea series air filter runs $45 to your door. Reusable, cleanable, flows well and filters well.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tumanator wrote:
People seem to like that Amsoil, and if it's cheaper than a 3-400 $ upgrade I'm all for it. Need to save up for the lift kit and tires anyway.

Time to do some google searching on the mods posted above, if anyone has any pictures that would be great too :)

Any gains, if even possible, would take a while at that cost to recoup. Just not a worthwhile improvement. Even a magazine article agreed w/ that when they only got a few usuable extra HP out of an intake & exhaust mod on a KJ after spending a bundle to do so. (and by burying their foot in it to get the numbers on a dyno) You would be better off saving the bucks and regearing the diffs to 4.10's to make up for bigger tires and weight from other mods.
My .02 on this and Image

BTW, Typing "gutter" into the search here will get you plenty of info on getting cold air into the stock box.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Khaki-KJ wrote:
A cold air intake has air forced, or drawn in, from outside the engine compartment through a hose or scoop. The cold air intakes available for the Liberty only draw air in from under the hood, no outside cold air is actually being forced into the intake. It is only sucking in the air warmed by the engine which does not allow for a denser air fuel mixture that a true cold air intake would allow.

Sorry if that comes across as an aurgument, I am only trying to explain why the cold air intakes for the Liberty are not as good as ones designed for a performance vehicle.

The best system is the Tommud dryer hose modificaction (patent pending) using the stock air box. Add an Amsoil air filter (cheaper and better than the K&N) and you get a true high flow cold air intake system for a fraction of the price of the K&N or Mopar intake systems.

I have to post up pictures some day but the Amsoil air filter in the stock box along with the 3 inch dryer vent hose is the best
I have tried stock box and K&N filter
Rustys air tube and K&N cone filter
stock box /stock type filters
stock box Amsoil filter
stock box Amsoil filter and 3 inch hose/tube THE BEST!!!!patent pending :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tom, I would like to see pics of your latest-and-greatest setup too.

Here are pics of mine. The 2 black plastic pieces are one-of-a-kind. I have access to a 3D Printer at work and made them on that machine.

- 75k miles so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:30 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

You need to fab a bunch of those custom pieces up and sell them! That's one good looking set up.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:35 pm 
This member has been Banned

long_tall_texan wrote:

Here are pics of mine. The 2 black plastic pieces are one-of-a-kind. I have access to a 3D Printer at work and made them on that machine.

thats pretty much what TOMMUD has. and i have the same set-up as JJ does. minus the heat shield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

I also left the stock top intake in place, did not have it there at first with the 3 inch hose but noticed when I revved it up I could feel the sucking action :roll: 5 to 6 inches away from the end of the hose, with the stock intake along with the 3 inch gets plenty of air now. Mine comes out into the grill almost the same place as long tall texans does [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

long_tall_texan wrote:

How much shipped to 93535?? I want 'em!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:22 pm 

I want a set as well, since I have searched every type of hardware store etc for something like that!!!

Share what you have , we have shared with you!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Let me figure out how much it will cost to build the two pieces and I will let you know. I don't want to make any money on them. I just need to pay for the material cartridges. The machine time is free... I would be happy to share with anyone. You have helped me a ton.

8)

- 75k miles so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

long_tall_texan wrote:
Let me figure out how much it will cost to build the two pieces and I will let you know. I don't want to make any money on them. I just need to pay for the material cartridges. The machine time is free... I would be happy to share with anyone. You have helped me a ton.

8)

That would be great! Thanks!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll jump in on this to, I haven't offered much help to this forum yet, but if you can fab those pieces I'll order a set from you as well, and also thanks for posting those pics, I'll agree that intake will help cold intake. Should provide better engine life than sucking in hot air from under the hood too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK. I will let y'all know a price after the Thanksgiving break. We are headed out of town tomorrow. I have the 3D models already, but not sure how many I can make per material cartridge. I will check the volume of a full cartridge and just divide it out for the price.

- 75k miles so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:33 am 
This member has been Banned

not to hijack the thread and be a smart stupid, but i have figured out that i can use the attatchments from a shop vac, with the hose also. but thats just me. you guys can do what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am 

rangerd77 wrote:
not to hijack the thread and be a smart stupid, but i have figured out that i can use the attatchments from a shop vac, with the hose also. but thats just me. you guys can do what you want.

so no more cleaning the Liberty out anymore cause ya done used your hose for the air intake :wink: :lol: :lol: How big is the hose on your vac? I guess mines about 3 inches as well since I looked at it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rangerd77 wrote:

Whooo hoooo!!! Now we can do what We want!! Thank goodness! :P

:wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal