It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Throttle Body Spacer?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Does a throttle body spacer combined with a intake system really improve performance as much as they advertise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 am 
LOST Addict

No. They are both a waste of money.

Stick with the stock airbox setup and a good filter like WIX.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Helix Throttle Body Spacer on my ‘95 Tahoe made a noticeable difference in both power and mpg. Regarding the KJ, there might be a theoretical improvement, but not noticeable when the spacer is installed independently. However, those of us who have made a custom “homemade” air inlet from the grill to the factory air box will say, “YES” the added air inlet has made a difference in both power and mpg. So to go back to your question, I think the spacer will become more useful after adding more air and a better flowing filter. The Amsoil is going to be the best filter for flow and filtering. KY LIBERTY has a throttle body spacer and believes it is noticeable, but he has also customized his engine settings.

I agree with sleeve84028, that you should not spend your money on any of the aftermarket cold air intake systems when you can keep your factory air box and add an air inlet for much cheaper. Check this thread out:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=37603

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm curious about the steps required for the dryer vent setup but I also have concerns about a setup like that sucking in rain when moving down the highway...

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
The Helix Throttle Body Spacer on my ‘95 Tahoe made a noticeable difference in both power and mpg. Regarding the KJ, there might be a theoretical improvement, but not noticeable when the spacer is installed independently. However, those of us who have made a custom “homemade” air inlet from the grill to the factory air box will say, “YES” the added air inlet has made a difference in both power and mpg. So to go back to your question, I think the spacer will become more useful after adding more air and a better flowing filter. The Amsoil is going to be the best filter for flow and filtering. KY LIBERTY has a throttle body spacer and believes it is noticeable, but he has also customized his engine settings.

I agree with sleeve84028, that you should not spend your money on any of the aftermarket cold air intake systems when you can keep your factory air box and add an air inlet for much cheaper. Check this thread out:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=37603

Correction: I do not have a throttle body spacer and do not believe that they make a difference. I have a Fastman throttle body, which does make a little difference. I also have an AEM BruteForce intake with a Profinish-Proglass hood dumping air into it, and heads that have been machined and polished. That is combined with an aggressive, custom B&G flash. The combination makes a very noticeable difference.

From what I have heard on this forum, routing air through the grill past the radiator and directly into the factory box with a good drop in will give you a similar result to my hood and air intake.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

sleeve84028 wrote:
I'm curious about the steps required for the dryer vent setup but I also have concerns about a setup like that sucking in rain when moving down the highway...

been running mine for almost a year now attached right to the grill and no water problems at all, of course I use a Amsoil filter which was the finishing touch, I have been through some rain that you could not see as it was blowing right into us, snow that covered the grill and headlights and never a problem, and it does suck air in as you can hold your hand at the grill 3 inches in front of the opening and when you hit the gas it will draw your hand back in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 pm 
Temporarily Banned

So the helix spacer is a no go for more power huh. Bummer i was hoping with some of the spacer/cai kits i have seen for the wrangler that it might help some on the liberty also. I found a spacer and cai for $50 local, but if there is no advantage then that is $50 back in my pocket.

D30a FRONT ,Chrysler 8.25 OEM Dana Trac Lock Posi, 29 spline REAR, 3.73 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

Just my 2 cents.. I have both a K & N intake and an Airaid throttle body spacer on my '06.. I have not had it dyno'd but the butt dyno says yes there's something there.. My goal when I purchased both items was to improve the MPG'S which it did an the power boost was a bonus.. I noticed it most at take off, improves low end torque I guess.. if your looking for that wow power boost, look elsewhere if you want MPG'S an some off the line boost then your looking at the right mods.. I also have a Gibson cat back which helps to an sounds killer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

just curious how you like the gibson cat back, they seem to have high ratings for the 3.7 from alot of forums

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

jeepzilla wrote:
Just my 2 cents.. I have both a K & N intake and an Airaid throttle body spacer on my '06.. I have not had it dyno'd but the butt dyno says yes there's something there.. My goal when I purchased both items was to improve the MPG'S which it did an the power boost was a bonus.. I noticed it most at take off, improves low end torque I guess.. if your looking for that wow power boost, look elsewhere if you want MPG'S an some off the line boost then your looking at the right mods.. I also have a Gibson cat back which helps to an sounds killer...

I have the K&N intake setup on my '05 and was thinking of adding the Airaid throttle body spacer as well. I was wondering if it will fit since it needs at least another inch of space between the k&n tube and throttle body.

Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow Exhaust cat-back system
K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit
Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs
Hella 500FF Free-Form Fog Lamp Kit
Sony Xplod CDX-GT620IP Head Unit w/Sony Xplod Speakers

Post subject: K&N Filtercharger and Magnoflow exhaust experience
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:32 pm 
LOST Member

My install two years ago of the above mods on my 2005 sure feels like more torque and better acceleration response. Maybe a little better MPG if I keep my foot smooth on the pedal.
No spacer is necessary said the K&N rep at a truck and jeep event I attended. In theory I like the idea of swurling gasses but he said the K&N is designed to stop intake air turbulence so that the air flows right down the throttle more quickly.

Any other information or facts on this subject?

D :!:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I want my engine to last more than 100xxx so Im staying away from K&N :? I dont feel the extra 1 HP is worth the amount of dirt being let through the filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 pm 
LOST Member

and......... just for some information, there is no way in hello that you will hit enough rain to hydro lock your engine. the amount of rain going into your intake directly will have to be more like you driving into a creek or wave, a solid flow of incompressable liquid versus a mostly air with rain drops in it rainy weather.

an old school mechanic combustion chamber cleaning trick is to stick the hose in the intake while holding the throttle at about 2500 or 3k rpm and turn it on. cleans the hell out of the chamber and totally freaks out anyone who sees it. my dad told me about it and i didn't believe till i tried it

i have done this on bmw motors when i was out of seafoam or tranny fluid as they all do the same thing when dumped into the intake