It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: LTT True Cold Air Intake for KJ's
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm 
LOST Member

Pulled the trigger yesterday. The LTT CAI will be installed in Mexico.....

Greetings from the NUMERO 1 "NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10 OCEAN VIEWS"

Just 3 hr dirving south, from Nogales AZ border....

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr ... ean-views/

These las 3 pics, we are in the mountain that you see in the previous 2, called "TETAKAWI" (native for goat tits).

CLEVIS LIFT
DUNLOP ROVER M/T MAXX TRACTION LT245/75/R16
MOPAR SKID PLATES
BIKE RACK
OPTIMA RED TOP
JBA---UCA NEW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mochodurazo wrote:

That ought to work well w/ the Amsoil Ea series I sent you! :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
mochodurazo wrote:

That combo works great for me!

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:04 pm 
LOST Member

long_tall_texan wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:
mochodurazo wrote:

That combo works great for me!

I hope so.... im getting poor 12 MPG in city, heavy trafic. Also live in a very dusty area. A lot of sand storms. I was thinking to add a SAFARI SNORKEL for DD haha :-)r

So i expect at least a little increase in MPG and more protection to the engine.

CLEVIS LIFT
DUNLOP ROVER M/T MAXX TRACTION LT245/75/R16
MOPAR SKID PLATES
BIKE RACK
OPTIMA RED TOP
JBA---UCA NEW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

What have been the results of this air intake modification?
In power?
in MPG?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Has there been any interest in developing a version of the LTT CAI for the KK? I would be very interested in gaining 1-2 mpg for my KK, especially if it costs less than a couple tanks of gas. 1-2 mpg is a gain of 5-10% for me, which would add up over time.

I read through all 7 pages of this thread last night and was inspired to ask. LTT - sorry about your hard drive going kaput. Are you still in the business of making intakes?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes, I am still making them for the KJs. The grill scoop and airbox adapter work as a great combo on the 05-07 models. There is not really a need for the grill scoop on the 02-04 models. You can just use the airbox adapter and a 3" hose to the grill on the Gen 1 KJ's because there is a much more clear path for the hose. My airbox adapter basically does the same thing as Tom and others have shown by cutting a hole in their airbox. You just don't have to cut up your airbox. You just replace the stock air scoop with this adapter.

Now, for the KK, I am not sure of whether the airbox adapter will fit your airbox or not. Have not even looked at one. And I don't have one to look at. Take a few pics under your hood. If it is the same airbox as the KJ, then the adapter would work, assuming there are no A/C lines or something else in the way. Then the question is whether you need a grill scoop, or if you have a clear path like the 02-04 KJ.

I'll be happy to work with you to see how it would work... Or possible make a new airbox adapter that is compatible with KK.

- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

That's great! I'll get out there with a camera and a tape measure hopefully sometime next week. I will be on a trip this weekend so I won't be able to poke around my Jeep until I get back. I'm excited by the possibility that your CAI might fit... I will get back to you with some data hopefully soon.
--LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I did a little poking around under the hood after work today to see if there was room for a CAI in a KK. I was surprised by what I found! It looks to me like my 2008 KK came with a CAI right from the factory. Here is a shot of the air box, which lives on the left side of the engine bay near the front.

What confuses me is that there is no inlet in the grille area. The far left and far right slots in the Jeep 7-slot grille are solid plastic. There is a vertical plastic barrier that seals off the CAI from the rest of the grille, so there is no sideways movement of air from slot #2 to behind slot #1 where the CAI should be.

I haven't had a chance to take the grille off yet to see what's back there, and how the CAI gets air. I did find this helpful shot from another thread. You can see the vertical plastic barrier/support that keeps air from going around the radiator (and into the CAI behind slot #1).
(photo by TJS2010 from this thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=55424&start=60)

So, I'm not entirely sure how the air enters the CAI hose, but I'll try to get some photos of that this weekend if I have time to disassemble my grille. I bought a trim removal tool today just for that purpose. :JEEPIN:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

irollgen4s wrote:
I have a CRD so cold air isn't a concern for me, but with the way your intake is set up, my main concern is if someone going into water. it's kind of like a direct channel for water to go into, granted that the water would need to be entered with some speed for it to get pushed all the way up the piping.

You could always run something like this to let any water that does get in drain out.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=3758

I think getting one of these from LTT will be the first mod on my new toy.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 pm 
LOST Member

I got the airbox adapter for my early (pre-dropped) '02 Limited. It is in but it was a very tight fit and is putting way too much upward pressure on the A/C line that crosses it. Has anyone with an '02 had to bend the metal part of the A/C line (forward of the rubber section that is pressed against the LTT adapter) up to provide clearance? I expect that I'll also have to put some kind of padding or wear surface between the two items to prevent abrasion, if I can't get them to stay apart.

One alternative might be to cut a section out of the adapter and mold in a 'channel' to clear the A/C hose; that will interfere with airflow but not too badly. I'll try to post a pic later.

Not clear on where to route the hose yet either; I'm not seeing the clear space that the '03 pictured earlier had but its been raining so time to work has been limited.

Thanks for any info.

1971 Dodge Challenger, 318cid, A904 Torqueflite

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

Followup. It turns out the metal section of the A/C line forward of the rubber section is fairly soft and easy to bend. I was able to bend it up enough to prevent any contact without undue strain on anything.

I still don't see an obvious place for the air hose to go; the pics posted before show the hose running into the area behind the passenger side headlight. Removing the grille and the headlight showed a solid plastic bucket. No obvious air allowing openings, and no easy access down to air coming in from underneath. So I took a 1" hole drill and swiss-cheesed the inboard side of the plastic bucket (there is no one area flat and large enough for a 3" or even 2" hole) and tie wrapped the end of the hose so it was facing and within an inch of the opened holes.

With the headlight and grille in place there's not a lot of open space but I'm hoping that, at least while in motion, enough ambient air is forced into the area to provide cooler air to the intake. Time will tell. I did reset the ECU so it will take a while to see the results.

Next weekend I'm getting a cat-back (Dynomax turbo) so may have to reset again for best results; we'll see what happens. I may also do a seafoam treatment, then change plugs again (they've not been in that long but just to get the best results especially after the seafoam). I'm hoping for an escape from the 10-11MPH doldrums that have hit lately (barely improved with the arrival of spring gas; winter gas always costs a couple of MPG).

1971 Dodge Challenger, 318cid, A904 Torqueflite

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:40 pm 
LOST Addict

This post should clear up questions KK owners have about adding a CAI.

Today I took the grill off to have a look at where the intake tube is located.

The intake is located behind the passenger's side headlight. It's the oval-shaped opening you can see there.

Here's a close-up. As far as I can tell, there is no direct path for outside air to make it into this opening. Air must travel from under the bumper, as well as come from under the hood where the air is hot. There is no open connection between the 5 center grill slots to the intake area.

I cut openings in the plastic behind slot #1 to allow cold air a relatively direct path to the intake. It's not an air scoop like LTT designed, but there is now a way for cold air to make it into the intake. The intake tube is not directly behind the slotted opening, but offset to the left; this arrangement should help keep rain water out of the intake tube.

Here is what it looks like from a distance:

LTT, I apologize for hijacking your thread, but I figured KK owners would like to know how their under-hood geometry might suit a CAI. It may be possible to design a scoop that feeds the intake directly, as long as water could be kept out. The intake tube is higher than the airbox in the KK, which might make it a challenge to design a waterproof scoop.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Last edited by lfhoward on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
This post should clear up questions KK owners have about adding a CAI.

[snip]

Hmm, interesting. I had actually wondered about that myself - when I looked at the grill it seemed like there was no place for air to get through to the intake. Guess I wasn't imagining things. Are you worried about water getting in there at all? Seems like highway speeds in the rain could let it in.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

FOR THOSE WORRIED ABOUT RAIN WATER GETTING IN

I have had a 3.5 inch tube running right up to the grill and directly into the airbox for over 100,000 miles now
I've never worried about rain etc getting in and never had any issues with it getting into the airbox

On the KKs you can see that they just copied what we did back 6-7 years ago on the KJs :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
FOR THOSE WORRIED ABOUT RAIN WATER GETTING IN

I have had a 3.5 inch tube running right up to the grill and directly into the airbox for over 100,000 miles now
I've never worried about rain etc getting in and never had any issues with it getting into the airbox

On the KKs you can see that they just copied what we did back 6-7 years ago on the KJs :ROTFL:

To follow up on my KK's CAI and rain: I drove from MI to PA today on I80 and I76 in a crazy rainstorm, which was so hard at times that traffic slowed to 40 mph and used flashers. The spray from trucks was blinding, and at times there was probable half an inch of rain pooling on the pavement. I am happy to report no water in the airbox. I checked the airbox and filter a half dozen times at rest areas, just to be sure. However, the front passengers side quadrant of the engine bay behind the headlight got plenty wet after the hardest rain. I am concerned that the water might eventually degrade or short circuit the wiring in that area, for example the wiring to the right headlight and fog, and who knows what else is down there. The fuse/PCM? box on the inside of the passengers side fender remained dry, thankfully. Tom, does your CAI setup leak water like this, and if so, has it ever been a problem?

For those curious about performance: Because I was driving in heavy rain I was not able to directly compare fuel economy. I got 23.7 mpg on the way west on a sunny day and 23.2 mpg today going east in the rain. I don't know yet if the CAI makes a real difference. The water on the roads no doubt reduced my mileage today so it is not directly comparable, although I probably had a tailwind. I'll post later on any performance gains I can quantify. The mpg figures above are from miles driven / gallons filled at the pump, with cruise set at 66 but with lots of 50/55 mph zones for construction.

Cheers,
LFH
:D

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:54 am 

Have never had a issue with anything getting wet, I even have hood louvers so there is some rain/water getting into the engine anytime it sits outside but no problems! :BANANA:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

long_tall_texan wrote:
lil black liberty wrote:
Lol.. that's hilarious.. Well I ain't got a problem with water yet.. but I was just curious if when it's raining if you have had it sucked up..

I have driven in some very heavy downpours with no problems. The first heavy rain I drove in after installing (15 miles at 60 MPH), I pulled into the garage and pulled the air filter to see if it was wet. Did not even have in the airbox, and the filter was dry. I think there is enough bends, and upward air flow that it keeps the water from getting to the airbox.

Way back when... Page 4 of this thread... Never had any trouble with water getting into air box either.

- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Heh, I need to work on my reading comprehension. I see now that there are multiple mentions in the thread about water entry, including the post I quoted. :oops:

I'll be curious to see if there's any noticeable difference in the KK. The cutout certainly seems like a more efficient way to get air in. I might have to pull out the Dremel sometime before my upcoming long trip with a 3500 lb trailer in tow. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

First impressions - KK CAI

Today I was able to do some city and highway driving for the first time without pouring rain. There is plenty of pep, and it accelerates well. However, it seems a little bit jittery at 55 mph, sort of like the engine has trouble settling in at a constant rpm. I used my Scangauge to check the RPMs, gas mileage, etc, and it is not my imagination. Every 5-15 seconds there is a slight spike in RPM of about 100 or so, for example: the engine goes from holding at 2000 to about 2100, then settles back in at around 2000 again. At the same time, there is a corresponding drop in immediate fuel economy, like from 21 to 18 mpg, but then recovers back to 21. The same phenomenon occurs at 65 mph also, but is less noticeable because of more wind/road noise. It happens both on cruise and also when keeping the skinny pedal constant manually. I have used my Scangauge for 6 months to keep tabs on gas mileage stats as I drive, so I am pretty sure these rpm fluctuation symptoms are a new development after cutting the holes in the grill. I don't have a satisfactory explanation for why this would happen- perhaps it is a coincidence? I will try taping the hole closed and see if the symptoms go away, and then I'll repost. Does this sound familiar to anyone who has tried a CAI with their 3.7 L? Am I the first to try this with a KK?

Note: I have not disconnected the battery cables yet to reset the computer. This is something I might try next, if I can show that the fluctuating rpm symptoms are caused by the CAI in the first place.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next