It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For those with a CAI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:18 pm 
LOST Member

I want to know which brand you have and if you gained any MPG. If so how much. What year rig and any other mods such as a lift or larger tires. ALso if you do have the lift and larger tires was the CAI on before or after?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I made my own. It gained me about 1.5ish MPG. Then I got new wheels and tires and Daystar 2.5" lift and I lost that plus some.

BTW, Now I am making that intake for others that are interested. See this post:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=39547

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

Post subject: Re: For those with a CAI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PoorMtnKid wrote:
I want to know which brand you have and if you gained any MPG. If so how much. What year rig and any other mods such as a lift or larger tires. ALso if you do have the lift and larger tires was the CAI on before or after?

Save your bucks on any commercially available setup and buy LTT's TRUE CAI for much cheaper.

My wifes KJ has a K&N FIPK w/ Amsoil cone filter on it and AFAIC it sucks stupid, it gets worse MPG's than my SFA KJ w/ factory intake.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well sometime I'll have to attach my live data recorder to mine and the USAFCOP's KJ's and run them to see what is the real difference according to the IAT sensor.USAFCOP has the OEM airbox still and I'm running the AEF CAI with a AEM DryFlow filter.Just need to find a day that we both have some time both from work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Well sometime I'll have to attach my live data recorder to mine and the USAFCOP's KJ's and run them to see what is the real difference according to the IAT sensor.USAFCOP has the OEM airbox still and I'm running the AEF CAI with a AEM DryFlow filter.Just need to find a day that we both have some time both from work.

that would be cool info to have. do you have any source of cold air coming under hood for your setup?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

Well I got a good deal on a K&N. So after my next few tanks of gas I will let you all know the MPG increase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:33 pm 
LOST Member

So I have gone through 2 tanks of gas when after I got the Intake on. My frist tank was 100% city driving a lot of stop and go I was only able to pull off 14 mpg. Then I did a trip out to big bear and got to record some HWY. On the tank I did about 3/8 Hwy and 5/8 city and I was able to pull off 16.6 mpg. Usualy when I come back from bear I fill up at the same place and I would get about 15.3 mpg. So as of now I did notice an increase mostly on the HWY. I never have been able to do 100% hwy but I would guess its 18+ mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So is the money worth the cold air kit from k&n, or is there a better one I should order? I was just about to post this question myself lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:57 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

in 118,000 miles I have had the
stock airbox,
Rustys Airtube with a K&N,
regular K&N CAI,
and back to stock box with Amsoil filter and 3 inch dryer hose coming in from the grill.

Guess which gets the best overall mileage

right the Amsoil with the homebrew set up, better than the K&N by far, only thing it di was make more noise, it made better fuel mileage for a tank full or so but after that back to the same or worse.

By the way I just did 590 miles, including some 4 wheeling and lots of back gravel roads and averaged 19.1 on the new Scan Gauge, running an average of 70 on the highway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
in 118,000 miles I have had the
stock airbox,
Rustys Airtube with a K&N,
regular K&N CAI,
and back to stock box with Amsoil filter and 3 inch dryer hose coming in from the grill.

Guess which gets the best overall mileage

right the Amsoil with the homebrew set up, better than the K&N by far, only thing it di was make more noise, it made better fuel mileage for a tank full or so but after that back to the same or worse.

By the way I just did 590 miles, including some 4 wheeling and lots of back gravel roads and averaged 19.1 on the new Scan Gauge, running an average of 70 on the highway

Well I think I will be trying the homebrew setup this spring then, good idea Tom! Despite my previous posts about there prices, I emailed the closest amsoil dealer about a price on there air filter, will find out soon hopefully, worth a try at least. Do you think the scanguage is any better at reading mileage than the overhead computer already on the liberty? would it give me any extra info that could help me improve my mileage? I was really hoping it would give me trans temp and oil pressure etc, but I don't think it does :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:56 pm 
LOST Member

I did another tank of 100% city driving and I was able to pull of 15 mpg even. I have noticed an increase since I have added it on. Its not much but I have noticed it. It seems like the more tanks I have gone through the better it is getting. Overall I'm impresed with it. but thats my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Or do my version and it will run you $10-20 and give you some seat of the pants improvement.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

long tall texan - sells a bad stupid set up that he makes himself out of high quality plastic... just installed one on mine... great improvement

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
PoorMtnKid wrote:

Save your bucks on any commercially available setup and buy LTT's TRUE CAI for much cheaper.

My wifes KJ has a K&N FIPK w/ Amsoil cone filter on it and AFAIC it sucks stupid, it gets worse MPG's than my SFA KJ w/ factory intake.

I am with JJ here. I have the K&N FIPK and wish i would have gone a different route. I have seen no gains and all I think of now is that my KJ is sucking in the super hot engine heat. Spend you 200+ dollars on a snorkel or get the LTT deal for cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

most cold airs need a raim air unless its a true cold air similair ot what volant makes.... my advice is if you add some louvers and a ram air... get yourself a CAI... i enjoy mine :twisted:

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

i added a K&N cold air and a flowmaster muffler at the same time and got 2-3 mpg better fuel econ. However if i were to do it again i'd buy a LTT CAI. but i do like my K&N. it and the muffler i noticed it rev's much much quicker and has much more balls on the bottom end of the rev range. really helped performance. plus it sounds like a beast :)

you can hear the intake sucking in air in this video.. listen for the 'WWWWOOOSSSSHHHHH" when i start it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLHL1Nvegw