It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Problems...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Okay guys I got my jeep about 2 weeks ago from the body shop. I have now noticed my jeep rides so darn bumpy I want to just trade it off. Well here's the situation the right side of the jeep is sitting up higher than the left. The left is sagging a little it looks like toward the front but could be the back side. (driver's side mind you) Anyways, I have been having major steering problems like if I let go of the wheel she wants to run off in the ditch. If the wind is blowing outside it acts like the jeep is driving on 3 wheels and it's quite scary. I have to have my hand/arm on the steering wheel at all times. What do you think it is? Struts? or something worse?

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You bent the unibody and it was most likely not fixed,which means your alignment is off even if they aligned it.You need to talk to your insurance company to have your KJ measured on a frame rack to check the unibody which can run as high as $500+ to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

darn son.. are you sure tjkj? So if I have it looked at where would I take it? Would it be better this time to take it to the stealership?

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would question that - you hit the grill and didn't hit hard enough to kill the radiator - it's thin aluminum.
if you didn't bent that, odds are against bending the unibody.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=417462&highlight=#417462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
I would question that - you hit the grill and didn't hit hard enough to kill the radiator - it's thin aluminum.
if you didn't bent that, odds are against bending the unibody.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=417462&highlight=#417462
You can hit the front of a unibody vehicle and not damage the radiator and still tweak the unibody out of OEM specs.Seen it many times when working in a bodyshop,I was the frame rack guy,spent many hours measuring vehicles.

Quote:
lil black liberty

darn son.. are you sure tjkj? So if I have it looked at where would I take it? Would it be better this time to take it to the stealership?
If the dealership has a bodyshop(and frame rack) then that would be the best place since they will have easy access to the OEM specs but any good bodyshop with a frame racki can do the job also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:11 am 
LOST Addict

it also depends where the hit was.. unibody's are very weak on a diagonal or side to side strength.. and easily swayed one way or another. it sounds to me like you need a wheel alignment from a GOOD alignment shop. the insurance should pay for it.... that may be cheaper to see if anything is outta wack than if you pay a bodyshop... they will see if they can get it within limits.. if they cant something is bent and it has to go to the bodyshop.. if they can make sure it's real close to the middle limits to prevent uneven tire wear.

if you lived closer i'd do it for ya for free.. we have 3 frame machines :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well update on this: I think I might have found the problem, it possibly could be the wheels because I had forgotten it has been doing this ever since I got my new tires. I forgot that my tires picked up every single bump until today, I guess I had just gotten used to it, but I went down a road that is smooth with no bumps or cracks and it felt like I was hitting bumps and things in the road and the jeep would sway. I think it has to be those tires.. :? Only thing is though, I don't have the money for new tires so, I think that the KJ is going bye-bye I'm calling my bank tomorrow to work out a deal and get my new KK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you need new tires, so you're going to trade in the Jeep for a new one??????

Well - no one can say you're not doing your part to help the economy recover :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lol it's not just the fact of new tires. It's the fact I'm tired of my KJ I finally went and test drove the KK and I love it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 am 
LOST Junkie

I've had a simular experience after having new tires installed.
It's kinda a "no brainer" but have you checked your tire pressures? Maybe they're too high?

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lol everyone is telling me that, you know what for poops and giggles though I will check it later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

don't come back in here sayin you forgot you put 65lbs in them to stand them up to do some mad and crazy chlorox burnout for your buddies one night when you were drunk, just lie and say you found a gigantic clod of mud stuck in your rim :lol:

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lmao now jeepingjarhead I wouldn't do that but it sounds like you have lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chlorox yes :lol:

airing them up no lol, i like my tire wear to be even, even if it is evenly chewing the tread off

i found out that my BFG AT's would chew holes in asphalt and leave really cool piles of rubber and melted asphalt behind the tires

never was able to actually wear those tires out, i spun and rotated them trying to smooth out flat spots in the tread that made them ride like *#&*. It never worked :P

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632