It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KJ feels a little heavy after TC from APS installed.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Picked up the jeep today at the dealer. It was in because i went to the local tranny shop for a filter and flush and when they dropped the pan they found a piece of a broken snap ring. Thank god for warranty, the tranny needed to be taken out and overhauled(under- and over-drive clutches were burnt)
Anyhow, since i have had a TC,(also a shift kit) from wayne at APS sitting in the garage waiting for warranty to expire to be installed, i asked them to install, which they did.

But after picking up my jeep from the dealer, driving home,(about 15 min. drive) it felt sluggish, heavy, like E-brake dragging or sumthing.

I guess the question i have if anybody knows ; Is there a break-in process, or period, for either the tranny or the TC to start to loosen up ?

before taking it in i had to swap the B&G computer out and have not put it back in yet but still, i dont remember the drive to the dealer feeling that different.

I'm gonna replace cpu back to my flashed one and drive for a couple days , see how it feels i guess, i hope the dealership put all the parts back right.

BORLA EXHAUST, COLD AIR KIT, AUBURN LSD, FASTMAN TB, B&G FLASH , APS TC.

COMING SOON : 255/65/17' s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no break-in for a TC - and I doubt there's any for the clutches -
most likely you changed the stall speed of the Converter
if it hooks up too early for the power peak of the engine - it'll make it feel slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you put the other PCM in Im sure you will unhook the battery. Its possible it just needs to relearn everything since the battery was unhooked and the tranny was rebuilt.

Or maybe they screwed it all up, who knows.

Does it seem to coast ok? Or does it try to slow you down more than normal when you let off the gas?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

hey thanks guys, so no breakin' in huh.

and ATXKJ, i did notice that when i got into it a little while already moving, it didnt(would've before) downshift, just wahtever gear i was in just chugged along in that gear.i did notice that.
wifey drove it today, gonna put the B&G computer back in and take it for a drive later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:16 pm 
LOST Addict

The break-in for an APS TC is 5k miles. Put the B&G back in. All your mods will work much better with it. The shift kit, especially if it's the "couldn't shift like this, till now" kit for the 45RFE, can be really hard the first few miles. It tames down, but it makes a really nice difference once it breaks in. Also, remember it will run a little rich and sluggish after the computer has been reset.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks KYliberty, so there is a brek-in for this thing,good, thought the dealer muffed things up.

and no, i havent put the shift kit (mines a 42rle) in, I offered dealer 100 to put it in and they wouldnt do it for less than 300 even though they had it apart and could've put everything in even the piece that goes way in the back with minimal work.
oh well ill go see my tranny guy and he wiill put it in minus the piece that he has to take apart the whole transmission to get to.

thanks again all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:18 pm 
LOST Addict

If you have a transmission guy, have him check the TC install when you ask him about the shift kit. I wouldn't trust any of the dealerships here to install one. Also, how you break-in the TC will affect how it performs, where it locks up, etc. You should probably give Wayne a call and ask him the specs on how it's built, and how you should break it in for your usage.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow ,really eh, i dont even know if wayne would remember me , i bought it bout 18 months ago.
I remember telling him i didnt want the stall increased a lot and he suggested 2-300 rpm up from stock and full torque multiplication. that was the agreement on what the tc was gonna be.

how do u suggest i break-in, run through the gears with it or dont get into it too heavy or what.
im gonna look around the net to see if there are any recommendations on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 am 
LOST Addict

I started out driving lightly for the first couple days. My trip to work is about 5 miles and goes from 35-45-55-45-35 mph, so that worked out well. That allowed me to get everything up to temperature, and run at the daily driving speeds I would normally be hitting. Then I started driving it more and more aggressively, and did some launches. My setup is rather aggressive. I have around a 2500 RPM stall, a 2.53:1 torque multiplier, and the B&G is more aggressive than normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 am 
LOST Newbie

cool, wifes been driving it and i havent had time yet to reinstall b&g,but will today, look forward on letting u guys know how it feels/progresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just ordered the TC from Wayne for my '04 Liberty, 3.7 & 42RLE with the Transgo kit in it.
He was pleasant to talk to and has lots of good info. I'm looking forward to getting it installed and back on the road. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 am 
LOST Newbie

So, 1200km on jeep since install, everything feeling back to normal, feels like jeep doesnt hunt for gears as much,as it used to.Think i feel more midrange and getting up to speed too.probably not going to put shift kit in, too much $$$ to put whole kit in and i figure why put just the pieces of it that are easy to get to. the main part of kit has to go way in the back of tranny that would turn install into costly mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

im glad ya got your jeep and your sanity back!

thanks for posting an update had wondered several times how it was doing

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I finally got the Torque Converter installed and like the OP said, it was a bit sluggish at first. However now that I have about two thousand miles on it, it defiantly functions as well as Wayne told me on the phone. I also installed the valve body portion of the Transgo kit and the shifts are more firm. Briefly, I had destroyed my transmission at around 123,000 miles, found a deal on a low mileage 42RLE out of an 05 Liberty for $325.00, got a $600 quote for a shop to install just the shift kit, walked away from there quickly. Then after looking over the directions I felt I could install the valve body portion myself. Fortunately it turned out to be fairly simple and was installed in less than an hour on my workbench in the garage. I'm glad I didn't have to do it while lying under the Jeep, but I think it wouldn't have been a problem. When the torque converter arrived I took the jeep to a local shop and had the transmissions swapped for $500. The stealership wanted $3600 (though that's with motor mounts)! Since Wayne did advise me that the torque converter takes about 5 thousand miles to break in I wasn't concerned about the sluggishness, and now it works very well. I am very pleased with the upgrades. :D

42RLE $325.00 Stealership $3,600.00
Transgo 25.00
APS TC 460.00
Install 500.00
Total $1,310.00

K&N FIPK, BRX Hoses, Borla Duals, B&G Flash, Powertrax,
JBA headers (not installed yet)