It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trans trouble * final update*
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 am 
LOST Newbie

04 4x4 sport. very mild towing, 105k, changed fluid and filter twice, never flushed though.

I got a code p0700 and p0740 a few days ago, took it to a place and they cleared the codes but the p0700 came back on the highway then shortly after a friend came with it, Trans over temp. It never went into limp mode or kicked off o/d, I pulled off pretty fast let it cool, checked my fluid...a little high but depending on how hot it got, it was good, its never been high before that time. I turned off the jeep and restarded it, no temp light. I left overdrive off and limped it the rest of the way. everything seemed to lock up just fine, no slipping, whining, groaning. even when the light came on the jeep felt good.

Off to the trans shop tomorrow to see what the problem is. Times are tough, i'm just hoping they don't tell me its dead/dying.

update- got a call from the local trans shop that used to be very reputable, i fear that may not be the case anymore.

he called while i was sleeping (work 3rds) and basically said they need to rebuild the trans for about $2000, I told him I have to see what I can do and went back to bed. When I woke back up and had my mind right I called him back and said, you told me what you needed to do to fix it, what was the problem? His reply was "The p0700 is caused by the p0740 which is still active just not showing up when I do the key cycle, basically the Torque converter doesn't fully lock up, robbing the trans of fluid and causing it to overheat." I told him to put the keys in the fuel door and I'm coming to pick it up. I will be taking it to another shop tomorrow. The jeep drove home with O/D OFF without a problem. I really don't want to drop $2000, it sounds like it could just be the torque converter or the TCC solenoid, neither warrant a complete rebuild if you don't have the money.

update 2- took it to another local shop, never done business with them but I know a couple people that have. the guy told me they will check over the all the wiring and if they found nothing then start with the TCC solenoid $350 his price + $100 labor but I can find it cheaper then bring it in, my brother can get 30% off so I will go that route.

hopefully this post won't grow to long but one of my pet peeves is when someone never posts a resolution to their situation.

Done- new solenoid pack and a reflash, no lights or codes. I took it for a few drives today, steep twisty backroads and 70mph highways, it felt real good. He said the fluid didn't look bad at all, the pan was clean, and he through a new filter on it. Lets hope this lasts.

Last edited by letigre87 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Might be a failing trans pump or plugged torque converter causing the issue. Not really sure - just a guess at this point.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

I already had my tranny and transfer case go at the same time @ around 45K miles. I had a really bad experience at the dealership. It turned me off to buying another jeep again. I'm always afraid my new tranny will eventually go again.

Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow Exhaust cat-back system
K&N 63 Series Aircharger Intake Kit
Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs
Hella 500FF Free-Form Fog Lamp Kit
Sony Xplod CDX-GT620IP Head Unit w/Sony Xplod Speakers

Post subject: Re: trans trouble *update*
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

letigre87 wrote:
04 4x4 sport. very mild towing, 105k, changed fluid and filter twice, never flushed though.

I got a code p0700 and p0740 a few days ago, took it to a place and they cleared the codes but the p0700 came back on the highway then shortly after a friend came with it, Trans over temp. It never went into limp mode or kicked off o/d, I pulled off pretty fast let it cool, checked my fluid...a little high but depending on how hot it got, it was good, its never been high before that time. I turned off the jeep and restarded it, no temp light. I left overdrive off and limped it the rest of the way. everything seemed to lock up just fine, no slipping, whining, groaning. even when the light came on the jeep felt good.

Off to the trans shop tomorrow to see what the problem is. Times are tough, i'm just hoping they don't tell me its dead/dying.

update- got a call from the local trans shop that used to be very reputable, i fear that may not be the case anymore.

he called while i was sleeping (work 3rds) and basically said they need to rebuild the trans for about $2000, I told him I have to see what I can do and went back to bed. When I woke back up and had my mind right I called him back and said, you told me what you needed to do to fix it, what was the problem? His reply was "The p0700 is caused by the p0740 which is still active just not showing up when I do the key cycle, basically the Torque converter doesn't fully lock up, robbing the trans of fluid and causing it to overheat." I told him to put the keys in the fuel door and I'm coming to pick it up. I will be taking it to another shop tomorrow. The jeep drove home with O/D OFF without a problem. I really don't want to drop $2000, it sounds like it could just be the torque converter or the TCC solenoid, neither warrant a complete rebuild if you don't have the money.
If you have repeatedly overheated your trans it will require a full rebuild,your clutches are fried(bet the plates between them are blue).Newer electronic transmissions are not cheap to rebuild,$2000 is very cheap for a 42RLE with removal/install included,it's almost better to buy a new transmission for $3000 in some cases.The TCC soliniod is part of another part which is like $400+ alone and your looking at $400+ for a TC also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

it overheated once, and if I'm reading the FSM correctly, it just got hot, not "overheated" or worse yet "super heated" and I was able to get it off the road pretty quick and let it cool. I do agree that it would be good just to rebuild the thing, but times are pretty tough, everything keeps going up except my pay, if I could I would. If the solenoid pack can fix it then I'm happy, if its the TC then I can do that myself...valvebodies and gearsets scare me.