It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any experience with the AirRaid Throttle Body Spacer Kit??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i'd have to look again because it's been awhile, i've also got a GC with a 4.7 and thought of that but something was different and i dont remember what, it could have simply been a matter of needing to fab a spacer/adapter plate like ya did with old ford carbs

unfort. i was busy at the time and just forked for the fastman

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i think this is going to be my next performace mod... and then after my warranty some tuning... debated headers but they are quite pricey especially for the lousy increase in HP on the 3.7L engine

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Was reading a past article out of 4X4 mag and they dropped a CAI and Magnaflow cat back system on a 2002 3.7 Libby... only netted like 5hp gain but added slightly more low end torque. Most applications are real pricey only to net minimal gains.

I'm really interested in increased mileage.... IF that's possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

torque is where it's at, less it strains starting and stopping the less likely you are to give it more skinny pedal = fuel mileage increase

of course.. until you get used to the new goodies, fuel mileage suffers because you keep stompin the skinny thing on the floorboard

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jarhead,

Could you tell the difference by switching out to the Fastman TB?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

heavy throttle response was improved particularly at either end of the band

always been hard for me to gauge anything between 3500-4000ish because my jeeps always had a stutter in that range no matter what i've done to it or changed which the TB seemed to ease quite a bit but not totally eliminate - i've recently decided that it may be a symptom of lack of proper back pressure from missing the primary cat which is getting reinserted this coming week

but over all yes i personally felt it was worth it

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:23 am 
LOST Member

Thats cool that it was worth it, when I do that mod he is only 20 min away!

06' Liberty Sport, herculined all plastic, ome/rancho front with clevis and 3/8" top plate, 927 OME with to extra isolators, 265/75R16 howlers, 40 series flowmaster, front tow hooks, http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/JMSMN/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is an oldie. May be a few here which have not seen this. Not a throttle body, but other upgrades.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/ ... index.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

don't forget when lookin at CAI's that we have someone who makes stuff plus mod build sheets for cold air induction using the stock airboxes

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll step up here.. Long Tall Texan's Cold Air Intake is by far the best product in the world for the 3.7!!! MORE TORQUE AND MORE HORSE BY FAR!!! When I took it off man the libby was sluggish on Throttle Response but with the LTT CAI man she will get up and go.. I need to get me a Fastman's Throttle Body, An MOPAR Flashed ECU, and A True Dual Exhaust Setup.. Only way to go..

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

forgot to post this awhile back

comparison of the stock TB and Fastman TB's (02 to early 03 TB model)

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepinjarhead.. was there a great imporvent with the fastman?... aslo i know you flashed the B7G... how was that

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i didn't notice a gigantic difference until certain things got combined together, once you start combining all of a sudden things will simply "click" and you'll start getting larger performance increases

fastman without the exhaust seemed to make it run freer overall, once the exhaust was put in and got rid of that gigantic gong of a muffler, it all of a sudden had significant midrange to high range increases

naturally, if you install a fastman without replacing atleast the idle motor, which is a brass (i think) plunger style piece next to the TPS, it will probably idle a bit funny even after the PCM has relearned the limits of the TB motions because the idle motor plunger wont properly seal in the brand new un deposited throttle body. which over time tends to build up quite a bit of crud around the idle motor plunger that is very difficult to keep clean but it will maintain its seal pretty well by sealing in it's own self made crud gasket lol

Dan Arcand also provides excellent customer support, he's right up there with Marlin at JBA

He'll answer any question you have, and work with you the best he can, several of his email replies to me have been at 3 in the morning when i'd have trouble getting something i had gotten from him to work like i wanted

I'm not sure why theres that taper in the stock TB, but the Fastman definitely provides a performance increase

the B&G ECM provides a definite increase as well, but if you intend to get B&M and have a separated ECM/TCM , start with the TCM as it releases the Torque Management and your increases from the other stuff will not be hindered and the ECM can be applied later for additional performance overall all by itself

roger roger?

edit:

all that was probably more info than you were looking for

but i have ran it a bit with the stock TCM / ECM's in it when I was trying to chase down a studder at 4,250-4500 and the TB with a good exhaust does provide a noticeable increase in performance

the TB w/ good exhaust , tcm/ecm 's and the right plug will blow your mind as to why it wasn't built like that to begin with

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thanks for that... could you just describe in better detail ( or show some pictures) of the tps thing you were taking about ( the plug ) also how long did the flash take?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the TPS is a squarish thing that attaches to the butterfly opposite of the throttle linkage, right most sensor in picture, you can see the black piece protruding from the tb that the sensor goes onto

the idle motor is the left most sensor, it's the one i mentioned that has a brass plunger that basically seals into a hole in the tb

looks like this

http://www.wjjeeps.com/engine/iac_motor_01.jpg

it get's quite a bit of buildup overtime, especially if you don't clean the TB regularly or have ran awhile with a faulty PCV valve

installing the basically dirty idle motor in the clean throttle body won't really Hurt anything.. but it will make it not idle smoothly, the idle will fluctuate alot when it's cold and it may even idle stumble and knock off

sometime's its difficult to really get the IAC clean, sometimes the deposits will pit the brass on the IAC, if you manage to clean it then it's worth giving it a shot, the IAC's are about 70 bucks

I simply bought new TPS and IAC and called it a day, but i'm a little ocd like that

it's been awhile since I got the flashes done, there's a few routes to accomplishing getting them, the ECM in particular needs your VIN to function, you can send them your stock ecm or buy a new ECM and have your vin installed then have it sent to be flashed

easiest way is to send them your stock ecm to be flashed, but you won't be able to drive your vehicle until it returns, typical turn around is about 7 days or so depending on how fast you send it to them, they usually flash it the same day they receive it then ship it right back to you priority - the difficult part about not doing it this way is finding someone willing, with the equipment to flash the vin on a new one, there's several reasons why that's difficult

the tcm isn't so much of a hoop to jump through, same turn around, yet depending on the model it's simplest to buy a new or used one to be flashed, again about 7 days was the turnaround

L.O.S.T #KD098632