It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Performance gains for the CRD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anybody know of whats out there to make the CRD a lil more peppy?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

there are a few companies selling chips for them already...K&N air filters are available and I believe from the cat back the exhaust systems are identical to us gassers

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:47 am 
LOST Member

The exhaust would be good place to start, it has a very restrictive muffler on it, there is a lot of discussion on the CRD board about, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and AeroTurbine mufflers, I would read them. TurboDiesels do not like restriction in the exhaust, It causes slower turbo windup, and also holds more heat in which is hard on the turbo and the engine. Because of the turbo a different air filter might not give much performance increase and might let in a lot more dirt. There are some chips available, mostly in europe. Some of the US companies (EDGE, Banks) are working on programmers for the CRD.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thats true about the air filter on a turbo. The big difference is it will allow more air into the engine for a better burn. On a gas engine you must be more concerned of air flow (turbulent air flow helps atomize fuel for a better mix, smooth air flow speeds up air allowing more air to enter the cylinders). The CRD injects fuel right into the cylinder so the mix wont help. More air can help a turbo diesel though.

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

In talking to several of the Diesel performance shops in my area, the strongest recommendations were for exhaust. Specifically, the Aeroturbine 2525 muffler.
In comparison to some of the other available mufflers, the Aeroturbine is more expensive. But, according to the companies claims on the design, it will perform better than any of the others. Their reasoning is that it is not only much less restrictive, allowing more airflow out of the engine, it creates a vacuum that actually pulls air from the engine.
Thing to note here is that the efficiency really is noticed during highway driving, and is really evidenced by a 2-3 MPG gain. The vacuum does not develop well enough in stop and go traffic. At those times the less restrictive exhaust will help performance. A slightly different exhaust note is nice. Suttle, but deep and throaty.
If you decide to go that route, I would recommend that it be installed at a professional muffler shop so that they can weld in a pipe that is equal in diameter as the one exiting the cat.
After the exhaust, you may need to wait for a chip. There are two available right now, and there are a few threads in the CRD forums discussing them, but the big guys (Bully Dog, Edge, Banks) have yet to release anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:47 am 
LOST Newbie

If you're looking for a chip, try these guys:

www.spdiesel.com

Look for the Stage 2. I've had one on my CRD since April. Working great. Lots of pep, especially passing power at highway speeds. It has built-in gauges and on-the-fly power level adjustability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

spoonyG wrote:
In talking to several of the Diesel performance shops in my area, the strongest recommendations were for exhaust. Specifically, the Aeroturbine 2525 muffler.
In comparison to some of the other available mufflers, the Aeroturbine is more expensive. But, according to the companies claims on the design, it will perform better than any of the others. Their reasoning is that it is not only much less restrictive, allowing more airflow out of the engine, it creates a vacuum that actually pulls air from the engine.
Thing to note here is that the efficiency really is noticed during highway driving, and is really evidenced by a 2-3 MPG gain. The vacuum does not develop well enough in stop and go traffic. At those times the less restrictive exhaust will help performance. A slightly different exhaust note is nice. Suttle, but deep and throaty.
If you decide to go that route, I would recommend that it be installed at a professional muffler shop so that they can weld in a pipe that is equal in diameter as the one exiting the cat.
After the exhaust, you may need to wait for a chip. There are two available right now, and there are a few threads in the CRD forums discussing them, but the big guys (Bully Dog, Edge, Banks) have yet to release anything.

Didn't the Liberator show CRD w/ the 285s have a Banks system? It must have been specially made...but I recall reading that Banks built a kit for it.

By the way...beautiful CRD you got there. That my dream lib... a white CRD...maybe after I get mine paid off I'll do some searching! Very sharp! :)

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:39 pm 
LOST Member

spoonyG wrote:

I wonder, does anyone know how these performance mufflers do when water fording? Will they be more likely to let water into the upper exhaust system?

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject: performance programmer for the CRD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just got a programmer for my CRD from ETR Performance. I bought it through them because it was $100. cheaper then the manafacture (SP diesel Performance). This unit is the Stage-II model and they say you gain 140 hp and 180 ft pounds of torque. It has 10 power levels and a fuel econ mode. It al so has fuel pressure gage and a power level adjustment. So far so good it is very easy to install unplug two plugs and plug them into the wire harness and the other two conectors on the wire harness go into the sensors you just disconnected. Then run the harness through the fire wall and plug it to the little control box. This seem to be a good little unit. My mpg has increased to about 23.5 mpg from the winter 18.7 to 20 mpg and that is city mix driving. The power is great i put in the HO mode and hit it and spun my Goodyear 245 75 R16 MT/R s for about ten feet on pavement. I was really impressed. They say you should see and increase of 10 to 15% in mpg. By the way it was $500 with shipping.They do have a cheaper model but it only has gains of 90 horsepower and 140ft pounds of torque. plus the STAGE-II is ugradable. Just remember to remove it before you go in for service
Sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Gotta love diesel. Wish programming made that much difference for the gas. I may have to pick up an '06 CRD.

Are you worried about the torque converter? I would call up Wayne at APS and talk to him about an upgraded converter for the 5-45RFE.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject: performance programmer for the CRD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well a little it was replaced a 12000 miles because it was about to lock up. They put in a new one and a new trans cooler with 6 coils instead of the old 3 coil one. But i really got it to increase my fuel mpg and not really for all the power. But power is a plus. I just got a recall notice in the mail for the torque converter and the ball joints plus i had one for OBD-II up grade that i haven't had done yet. Not sure if my torque converter is the newest and greatest one that was already replaced. In other word maybe they will replace it again. You better hurry up and get that 06 CRD before they are all gone. Before i put this on mine i was getting about 32 mpg highway.
Sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:56 pm 
LOST Addict

You get around 50% better milage than I do. You need to get that thing out to the dragstrip. You could really mess with people with all those settings. :shock:
I may have to wait and try to pick up a used '05. I wouldn't mind saving the new vehicle depreciation since I would lift it, program it, change gears, upgrade the torque converter, do a shift kit, and an exhaust immediately.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Most of the big turbo diesel engine upgrades you will see start off with exhaust modification, tuning, and intake then move up to big intercoolers, turbos, waste gates, and injectors.

As with the gas engines the aftermarket don’t seem too eager to pump out mods for the Liberty. With a good bit of research, patience, and a healthy budget I’m sure you could put together your own power combo.

I’m quick to raise the “BS Flag” when I see some claims in aftermarket modification. Tornado, throttle body spacers (granted they work well on throttle body injection cars), $5 eBay chips…I want proof, and not just from the manufacturer. The “creates a vacuum in the exhaust” sounds fishy to me, although I will admit it is within the realm of possibility. However, I’d like to see flow numbers before and after the muffler, otherwise I just think it’s a straight through design with more flow over a stock muffler.

I’ve seen similar things that had me scratching my head. Someone talked about “pressurizing the intake box” with incoming air, and I again I’d like to see proof of that. The engine sucks air, so the easier you make it to get cool air the better it can suck. There is no force feeding involved, that’s like saying you can blow into a vacuum cleaner and make it suck harder. Granted, most of my experience is with my supercharged engine, but still…“ram air” really only works at flight speeds and the intake expands from the opening not the other way around.

Another thing is filters. Paper, cotton, foam, whatever…the thing that makes the most sense to me is better flow means worse filtration - better filtration means worse flow. See the findings of Bob the oil guy.

Anyway, I don’t claim to know everything about anything, or anything about everything for that matter. What I say is the truth as I know it from experience and research. I do really love modifying cars and want to learn as much as I can. If there is something I don’t know or don’t understand correctly I want to get the right information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:45 am 
LOST Member

Sharon,

Are you sure you got the numbers right?. That would put you at 300 hp and 470lb ft of torque. Or did I miss something in the interpretation.

Surco Roof Rack
Surco Spare Tire Bike Rack
Garmin Map 76 GPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am 
LOST Member

Big D wrote:
Sharon,

Are you sure you got the numbers right?. That would put you at 300 hp and 470lb ft of torque. Or did I miss something in the interpretation.

She was quoting what SP states on their website for the IIe module. I know that when you follow the "Jeep -> SUBMIT" link, it lists 140hp/180fp, but I'm sure that's for something like a D-Max, Cummins or Powerstroke. I don't see how a fueling box alone could result in an 85% HP / 61% TQ increase.

Cheers,
Duey