It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lift kit help
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:22 am 
LOST Newbie

So this is my first post on here.
To start off i'm going to say I really don't know much about vehicles. I pretty much just know the basics. Right now im in the learning process of the in's and out's. Everyone has to start somewhere...
Anyway i've been looking around for a lift kit for my 2004 trail rated liberty. I really don't know where to look or what to get. I was looking around the forums for a while and saw a lot of talk about a rough country 3" suspension lift. It's right around my price range, seeing as I only have around $500 ish to spend. But I don't really know what to look for. What kind of lift should I look into? Can someone help me out and steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: lift kit help
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:27 am 
LOST Member

If you're under a tight budget, have a look at the Daystar kit. Plenty of people here, however, will steer you into replacing the entire suspension with OME springs and new shocks. This is mostly because the stock suspension on the KJ is shot around 30k miles. I can definitely relate since my 2004 had the stock suspension on at 64k before I did my swap. (That's what I get for buying used.) :P

The Daystar won't net you much height on a saggy suspension so you're pretty much wasting the little money you do pay for it, and replacing the stock suspension with just stock parts is close to being as expensive as doing a spring lift. If you look at my sig you will see my setup, and that cost me $796.46. You could probably cut some costs by looking into different shocks then what I used. Also keep in mind that once you lift it, you will need longer rear shocks. The rear's are meant for a 2000 Dodge Durango, but they have more travel in them and will work much better lifted. The springs are OME, and it all depends on what you want for those. They advertise 1.5in of lift but I got closer to 2.5in out of it, simply due to saggy stock stuff.

Hope that helped and don't be afraid to ask more. And welcome to the forum! :pepper:

Front hooks, Rusty's Gas skid, CURT hitch with a Pirate Hook!
OME HD Springs, Koni shocks, Teraflex bumpstops, Sumitomo A/T's 245/70/16 on Moabs.
K&N "Cold" air intake.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok so if I did get the daystar kit i'd pretty much be wasting my money? And i'd pretty much have to replace my suspension anyway?
From what your saying I pretty much just replace my suspension, am I right? What about the rough country lift? That replaces the stock suspension right?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:38 pm 
LOST Member

That is also what i wanted to buy when i first started looking. From what i was told when i asked your same question, It replaces the rear springs and shocks (crappy shocks). It does not replace the front and just uses a spacer which will destroy your front strut- which would mean new suspension anyway. Take a look at an OME/Rancho lift. I've been working on getting mine together for about a month and still have a ways to go. If your really look around, itll be about 600-700, only a bit over your budget. Best of luck, and anyone else feel free to correct me.
Dalton

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:06 pm 
LOST Addict

daltonamorph wrote:
That is also what i wanted to buy when i first started looking. From what i was told when i asked your same question, It replaces the rear springs and shocks (crappy shocks). It does not replace the front and just uses a spacer which will destroy your front strut- which would mean new suspension anyway. Take a look at an OME/Rancho lift. I've been working on getting mine together for about a month and still have a ways to go. If your really look around, itll be about 600-700, only a bit over your budget. Best of luck, and anyone else feel free to correct me.
Dalton

Dalton, the spacer doesn't destroy the front shock, but actually causes an already saggy front spring to get even worse by compressing it even more. Some have actually seen the coils touching they became so weak and fatigued.
Rambo, if you can do it, save up the extra $200 and get some OME front/rear springs, new shocks front and back, and some bumpstops ( terreflex for the front) you can use hockey pucks for the rear. While the Daystar is the best budget left, you will regret as you will be upgraded in the end, just save up the money and do it right.
There is also a kit from BDS, but you have to buy the front shocks and bumpstops extra.
Use the search button, there is tons of info out there.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:

Dalton, the spacer doesn't destroy the front shock,

Actually it does if extended bumpstops are not used,even with no offroading.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok thanks for bearing with me guys. You def helped me out a lot. I guess i'm just going to have to save up some more cash and just buy new shocks, springs, etc.
Once again thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Get what parts you can. Then save some more money up to buy the rest. In the end you will have a good setup and a better ride also.

Terry