It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narrowed my search and did some PCM research.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am 
LOST Member

Alright. After looking at mods and sort of learning my way through engine workings, I narrowed my trans shifting woes to the PCM. Now, I have no issues spending the money in the right places, but when messing with the PCM I have to be careful. In my reading, I found the method of getting a replacement PCM and sending it into B&G for their flash. Are these the only people who do this kind of thing, or is there anyone else someone has had good experiences with? Also, living in VA, emission inspections are inevitable, so does anyone have bad experiences with doing this and then all of a sudden you can't pass emissions? Finally, in looking at all this info, I'm still finding things I don't quite understand yet, like torque management, torque converters, stall points, ect. Any info on these things would be great, simply for my understanding. Sorry for the long post and questions all over. I'll summarize it here.

1. Buying a replacement PCM and getting the B&G flash seems to be the best bet in my reading. What PCM am I looking for specifically? (PN would be nice.)
2. Is B&G the only company to do this kind of work, or are there other (maybe local and also reputable) places?
3. After such a mod, is there known issues with emissions tests?
4. Some explanations on what torque management, torque converters, stall points, ect. in reference to our KJ's would be great.

Front hooks, Rusty's Gas skid, CURT hitch with a Pirate Hook!
OME HD Springs, Koni shocks, Teraflex bumpstops, Sumitomo A/T's 245/70/16 on Moabs.
K&N "Cold" air intake.

Post subject: Re: Narrowed my search and did some PCM research.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The dealership flashed mine and did a torque converter under warranty. I think it was a recall or s.b. when only the customer complains, I would have to go back and look at my paperwork. The flash and torque converter change made a world of difference in the way mine drove. It is much stronger off the line and shifts like silk. I can't imagine it changing anything with your emissions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:18 am 
LOST Member

Bump. All in this for info. :seuss:

Front hooks, Rusty's Gas skid, CURT hitch with a Pirate Hook!
OME HD Springs, Koni shocks, Teraflex bumpstops, Sumitomo A/T's 245/70/16 on Moabs.
K&N "Cold" air intake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

b&g is the only reputable PCM/ECM flashers for the gassers that I'm aware of, a different company does stuff for the crds

no emission issues, any changes aren't detectable via inspection machine tests and it doesn't tamper with 02 sensor effectiveness

torque mgt is a control system which in laymen terms prevents your engine from producing over roughly, advertised stock numbers, not to be confused with an RPM limiter that only works at XXXX RPM, it works anytime through the band as a general set of numbers for the engine to operate at at given RPM/LOAD. This system, in effect, negates any "over stock top" effects you can receive from performance add on's, for instance, lets say you put in cams, tb, headers, good flowing exhaust, and 200 hp worth of Performance Decals ;) The add ons will change the curve, but the peak will still snap flat and crash at the stock peak, and actually it does so about 35-40ft/lbs prior to stock torque as the engine begins to choke itself through various means

To operate correctly, the engine needs this set of numbers as fuel requirements, timing etc change as the engine increases in load/rpm, however with a different set of numbers the engine is able to make use of the add on's and can run smoother through the curve

with certain add ons the engine will have difficulty at idle

not an issue on the exhaust side, but the stock management incapability/inflexibility rears its ugly head on the intake side

it affects more than just max torque, but in simple terms if you want over stock numbers you'll have to do something, and something beyond jet II chips, without it, anything you do increases and flattens the curve, but doesn't lift the maximum and depending on what / where the change was, may very well learn its way around it and return back to a stock level altogether and cause inefficiencies, ie: mpg loss with no performance increase

stock its a rather restrictive system, modified, its not play dough, but i haven't regretted it

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepin is correct thats why im gettin my stuff tuned for christmas :D

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What about for a manual transmission that is under the drivers control? I have yet to find anyone here who has done it (Computer flash) on a manual?

From driving around the hills in Golden, CO I seem to be able to pass many big V8 and diesel pickups and leave them in the dust uphill when in the right gear. The torque 'feels' good...I have even outpaced another liberty up the same hill that looked stock and certainly was not as heavy as mine is with all the mods.

I can keep it in whatever gear I want until the rev limiter kicks in...about 6k in the manual by the way :wink: ...always... Probably the same for the autos...

From what I see there is something different with the manual tranny computers setup...just based on what I see in the real world.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ecm flash on a manual would be more so that the engine used and didn't over-learn add on's , tcm on the split system reprograms numbers for a different beast that i'm simply guessing don't or wouldn't necessarily apply to a manual particularly because there's not much there to protect from the torque such as a plastic TC

would be worth emailing them and asking, but I can at least tell you that with a throttle body and other add on's (throttlebody in particular) that the ECM is desired, not required, but they don't always idle correctly witht he stock ecm and a bored tb

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632