It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unstable/Shut Down when coming to a complete stop
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I’m having a problem with my 02 KJ 4x2, I hope someone can help me.

Yesterday, when on my way back from work, I experienced something that has never happened to me before, when I was approaching a light/intersection and needed to come to a complete stop, My KJ felt like when you are driving a car with standard transmission, braking but without pushing your clutch in, the feeling that shakes and almost shuts off.
On most of the stops, it came stable after a little, but it did actually shut off a few times. When it did not shut off, I felt like the transmission was not shifting down as fast as it should have.

Today, I noticed my temp gauge ¾ of the way up (it had never gone that high before) my radiator is good, since it was replaced recently, I don’t know it the problem might be related.

Another factor from yesterday and today is that it rained kind of hard; it has rained like that several times before since I’ve owned this KJ. I was thinking that may be a sensor got wet.

However, I have run out of ideas.

I hope someone might be able to help me.

Thanks in advance,

alex

*2" Trailer Hitch (round tube)
*2 Roof Mounted standing up Bike Racks

Post subject: Re: Unstable/Shut Down when coming to a complete stop
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

when is the last time the trans was serviced?

occasionally someone who's overheating a transmission will overheat their motor in the process due to combined cooling or simply the proximity of the transmission cooler to the engine radiator although the 02 and early 03's have a better radiator unit than the later models

also, what size tires are you running and how "inaccurate" is your speedo

and has this condition / bad behavior only occurred since the radiator was replaced? It's possible a line could be crimped causing the trans to overheat and/or get inappropriate line psi

why was the radiator replaced curiously

I personally think just based on what you've said already, that the transmission issues are related to the work done on the radiator and your overheating symptom may very well be a result of the transmission overheating, or at least trying to..

No trans temp lights or engine codes??

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:20 am 
LOST Newbie

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
when is the last time the trans was serviced?

occasionally someone who's overheating a transmission will overheat their motor in the process due to combined cooling or simply the proximity of the transmission cooler to the engine radiator although the 02 and early 03's have a better radiator unit than the later models

also, what size tires are you running and how "inaccurate" is your speedo

and has this condition / bad behavior only occurred since the radiator was replaced? It's possible a line could be crimped causing the trans to overheat and/or get inappropriate line psi

why was the radiator replaced curiously

I personally think just based on what you've said already, that the transmission issues are related to the work done on the radiator and your overheating symptom may very well be a result of the transmission overheating, or at least trying to..

No trans temp lights or engine codes??

I know that the first thing I should’ve done was to check the codes, I have no lights on. My AutoZone stops checking codes at 9pm, that’s why I didn’t have my computer scanned, I will though.

I’m running on 245/70/16 Hankock AT (nothing out of the ordinary). My speedo yes quite accurate, since the radar that sometimes the cops place on the street reads what my speed is when I’m driving thru.

My radiator wasn’t exactly replaces, it was just fixed (the bottles were coming apart from the radiator) but that was back on the 1st week of April 2010.

The other factor that came to my mind is that the 1st day it started acting up (3 days ago, Aug 30, 2010) I went through an empty non-paved road (about 50 yards long total). But again the lot is almost flat dirt and grass.

Yesterday, I wasn’t able to check if my fan was running, since it was late at night and I had to drop my KJ at my parent’s house and use 1 of their cars before my problem gets more expensive.

Although my transmission problem started on Aug 30, the temp problem did not came up until last night (Aug 31st).

My gears shift properly all the time. The only problem is when coming to a complete stop.

If I switch my gear to neutral, my rpms come back up to ~1000rpm.

I haven’t serviced my KJ at the dealer since I have owned it (end of march 2010).
I always do all the maintenance my self. I just changed my engine oil last week (synthetic), tranny oil is on the right level.

One more thing, since I got my KJ, my battery light goes on and off sometimes when driving, however, I checked my voltage, and it shows a normal reading.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would get some input from tjkj2002 and Tommudd, they seem to bump into people with the oddest issues, what you're describing sounds very familiar, it's not a unique thing, but the cause is often different to produce the symptoms

just pm them and link them this thread

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

check your transmission fluid. my ZJ did the same thing when it had no fluid in it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Trans fluid OK.

Radiator tank brackets loose from drivers side, it was loosing water, since tranny fluid goes throug it, it was getting really hot.
I removed the radiator and rethighten the bracket.

Only problem is that when cleanning out radiato, saw clean water, but towards the end of draining saw this brown liquid, maybe a little oil. I don't know if it was dirty or what. I filled it with water and added dish soap, will redrain tomorrow, and repeat the process a couple of more times.

If it still does the same, I will replace the radiator.

My uncle told me that the tranny oil lines that are inside the radiator, are very thin, and migth get pores and that is why it might be oil. Hoppefully it was just dirty.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

FYI, Tranny oill is fine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Try putting in a new battery. Seriously. Mine started shuddering and stalling when I would go to stop. Someone told me to get a new battery and I haven't had any problems since. Something about the computer causing crazy things to happen when the battery is going.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501