It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynomax ultra flo vs flowmaster OR super 44
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 am 
LOST Junkie

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I, like always, am on the fence about a decision. I installed a super 44 last november (birthday present from the wifey :D ) and after a harsh winter and some rough abuse the muffler looks pretty bad and about to rot through. So I figured I would redo my setup for my birthday and add a nice tailpipe for looks. Bascially I have come to these 2 options:

Dynomax ultra flow cat back system
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/19392/10002/-1

OR

Super 44 OR and tailpipe
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389/942547OR/10002/-1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-54288/

Now obviously the second choice is cheaper and its the sound I have grown to love over the past year. But Im worried that another winter and rough use will make it rot out again. We may not get a ton of snow here (although we did last year) but they oversalt the roads no matter how much we get and I do alot of beach driving (salty air) and Im worried about going with a flow master again. Dont get me wrong I dont have a problem with surface rust as I know that the exhaust will do that no matter what I choose. But this isnt surface rust.

Side question: Has anyone switched from a flowmaster super 44 to a dynomax ultra flo (or equivilent)? If so how is the sound and performance? I have hear they are typically slightly better flowing/performing then flowmaster but dont sound as loud or good. Youll have to pardon my muffler ignorance but this jeep is the first muffler'd rig I have driven since my civic (all turbo cars and 1 mustang using straight pipes).

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

Post subject: Re: Dynomax ultra flo vs flowmaster OR super 44
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

:5SHOTS:

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

:CAMPING: :juggle: :5SHOTS: :grim: :dead:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 am 
LOST Junkie

:ALONE: went with the dynomax setup. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 am 
LOST Member

liquidxit2 wrote:
Side question: Has anyone switched from a flowmaster super 44 to a dynomax ultra flo (or equivilent)? If so how is the sound and performance? I have hear they are typically slightly better flowing/performing then flowmaster but dont sound as loud or good. Youll have to pardon my muffler ignorance but this jeep is the first muffler'd rig I have driven since my civic (all turbo cars and 1 mustang using straight pipes).

Awesome. Now you can answer your own question. :BANANA:

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited - Bright Silver Metallic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:26 am 
LOST Junkie

67Customs wrote:
liquidxit2 wrote:

Awesome. Now you can answer your own question. :BANANA:

LOL yep! Honestly at this point I really dont care as I just want a muffler that doesnt rot in less then a year, and a nice tip to boot. Plus i hear its quieter then a my super 44 so thats a bonus as well. Cant wait to install it when it comes in, that is if the wife got it for my bday. :pepper:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 am 
LOST Junkie

MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter, and feels a bit stronger. Im surprised at it being barely louder then stock being a straight pipe setup. All in all Im glad as I probably was pissing my neighbors off with my super 44. Sounds just as good just 1/8th the loudness. Im going to try and make a video when I get home given the wife didnt take the camera tripod.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:02 am 
LOST Newbie

liquidxit2 wrote:
MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter, and feels a bit stronger. Im surprised at it being barely louder then stock being a straight pipe setup. All in all Im glad as I probably was pissing my neighbors off with my super 44. Sounds just as good just 1/8th the loudness. Im going to try and make a video when I get home given the wife didnt take the camera tripod.

Have you made a video yet? I'd love to hear how it sounds as I'm looking at this or a magnaflow and this would nearly half the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Magnaflow if your including the tailpipe are pricey.RuggedRidge make a nice Catback for the KJ and has a Vortex muffler that can stand a fair amount of abuse... Here is the link for it!
http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/jeep-exhausts.php

Also a company called MBRP which I'm sure alot of you have heard of have a nice stainless Catback set up for the libby that will last a long time.I have one in my future for my KJ...

Most galvanized mufflers and tailpipe will only last you a couple of years if you have winter to deal with like me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:42 pm 
LOST Member

How big of performance gains are there with these mufflers or cat back systems? A significant increase in power or mpg? I dont care about it sounding good or bad or totally quite. I just want performance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

surfRenegade wrote:
How big of performance gains are there with these mufflers or cat back systems? A significant increase in power or mpg? I dont care about it sounding good or bad or totally quite. I just want performance

I have a Flowmaster muffler and custom pipes on mine. No real "significant" performance improvements. I noticed better throttle response, slightly faster acceleration (slightly) and about 1 mpg improvement, which was quickly eliminated by my DuraTracs. The sound however is much better. Sounds more like a small block V6.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 am 
LOST Junkie

surfRenegade wrote:

Going from a super 44 to a dynmax ultraflow "cat back" was a noticeable difference. But it was all muffler as the factory pipes on the KJ were already 2.5in. I mainly got the cat back for the nice angled tip and to replace the clamped pipe, but if you welded yours on like I should have from the start there is no need to do anything more then the muffler unless you want the tip or have a rotten pipe.

http://youtu.be/0IcuD-XWpTM

Although this video does the exhaust no justice as it hadnt matured yet and a smartphone camera didnt pick up the sound very well. But no drone on the highway, no raspiness and didnt sound ricey like some exhausts can on a v6. But Ill admit the super 44, despite the drone on the highway (what Im getting on the WJ suv50 now), sounded better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do any of you guys swap out your cats or just the muffler?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:41 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Just mufflers, cats already flow very good, same as staying with the stock airbox and good paper filter Anything else is a waste of $$$$$$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

I understand there is a narrow spot somewhere in the pipe, worth cutting out and fixing or waste or time and $$$$$$

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My :2cents: , any performance exhaust system on our KJ's is wasted money because the computer just relearns the change and adjusts itself to stay within factory programmed specs. Pull the computer out and get it reprogrammed is the only way to have a permanent gain in performance whether it be hp or mpg.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

j98me2 wrote:
I understand there is a narrow spot somewhere in the pipe, worth cutting out and fixing or waste or time and $$$$$$

The muffler is the area youre referring to. the pipe just before and after it narrow down to ~2in.

BugginKJ wrote:
My :2cents: , any performance exhaust system on our KJ's is wasted money because the computer just relearns the change and adjusts itself to stay within factory programmed specs. Pull the computer out and get it reprogrammed is the only way to have a permanent gain in performance whether it be hp or mpg.

While this is true, the jeep still felt peppier and the sound was more then worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I always change out the muffler, I agree they do seem to have a little more pep. Nothing to aggresive on my wifes, she will complain about the noise. Her Tahoe did seem to learn, but I think it still has more pep then stock. Same with the truck I just got rid of. I however like a lot of noise. I just ordered a super 44 for my jeep.