It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bumper and Fender Paint?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

So my rear bumper is faded and looks like crap compared to the rest of the gray fenders. There is no real need to replace the bumper, but I would like it to match the gray on the fenders. Anyone know of a rattle can that will be close to matching the stock fenders?

06' KJ Deep Beryl Green 4X4

Post subject: Re: Bumper and Fender Paint?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry, Sport KJ. Gray flares and bumpers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I painted my Chevy Astro gray bumper covers cause they were discoloring and I wanted them black. I cleaned them real well using green scotch pad, good detergent. Rinsed several times and dried. Then I wiped them all down with acetone, ( tape off any you can't remove, wipe down again. I painted using some semi gloss or satin "plastic bumper paint" I picked up at Advance or wally world. Turned out nice, lasted at least 2 1/2 yrs I had van.

Before

After

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 pm 
LOST Addict

I would use the black bumper and trim dye on everything so they matched. I wouldn't use spray paint cause sooner or later it will fade or chip anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

One thing nice about using the "bumper paint" I used is it has better adhesion to the plastic and it give that satin to semi gloss stock look. I orginal started using it on our S10 blazer to fix some dinged up bumper trim, matched almost perfect to the factory color/sheen.
Yellowcoyote is correct, Krylon makes the "Fusion" paint which is designed for plastics.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 am 
LOST Junkie

use an adhession promoter too!!!! You will have a better chance of the paint "taking" to the plastic, and that will help it last longer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:26 pm 
LOST Member

Dupli-Color makes some nice bumper paints. scuff with a red scotch pad, clean VERY VERY good, i recommend rubbing alky, use adhesion promoter, and have at it with the duplicolor. i've had good luck with the Dupli-Color bumper paints on many projects so far. however, not sure they make gray, i've only used black, but i can't say i've ever looked for grey either though, so maybe it's out there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:27 pm 
LOST Addict

You can always Rhino line it or Line X it. That is what I am going to be doing here as soon as my rear bumper is finished.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Xodius wrote:
You can always Rhino line it or Line X it. That is what I am going to be doing here as soon as my rear bumper is finished.

I have been thinking of doing this too, but Im worried Ill get carried away and diggerize it and Im pretty sure the wife would be mad I spent that kind of money. :-)r

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

My wife didn't like the idea either until I did it. When we went to pick it up and she saw it she pretty much ate her words.......And its not that expensive. The stuff I used has some texture to it (not the razor sharp points that LineX has) and the finish was semigloss not flat. Cost 150 for the liner. I paid someone to do my jeep, but it seemed easy enough. The liner I used was pretty straight forward to use. Maybe want to test it out on some wood to get a feel for how it sparys on. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
LOST Addict

yodejt02 wrote:
My wife didn't like the idea either until I did it. When we went to pick it up and she saw it she pretty much ate her words.......And its not that expensive. The stuff I used has some texture to it (not the razor sharp points that LineX has) and the finish was semigloss not flat. Cost 150 for the liner. I paid someone to do my jeep, but it seemed easy enough. The liner I used was pretty straight forward to use. Maybe want to test it out on some wood to get a feel for how it sparys on. :D

Which liner did you use? It is escaping me atm.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Raptor liner from U-POL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:37 am 
LOST Junkie

I was thinking about doing the roof with the rustoleum bed liner to prove to the wife its not expensive. Then I could do the flares and bumpers soon after. But at this time there are much bigger fish that need to be fried.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmm .. I like fried fish! :seuss:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:30 am 
LOST Junkie

LoL now I want fish and chips!