It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible blown head gasket?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Okay so i bought my jeep in feb of 2010 (this year) from the jeep dealership and it had 94,000 miles on it. BUT the salesman told me they replaced the engine with a used engine. According to them jiffy lube didnt put oil in the original engine,

The jeep now has 111,001 miles on it. so i've driven 17,001 miles

I brought my car in for the first oil change at 97,000 miles and my mechanic told me the transmission gasket was leaking.

i called Jeep and they told me i'd have to PAY to have them look at it.

around 5000 miles my brake lights stopped working. they told me it would be close too 200 bucks just to figure out what was wrong with the lights...

at 110,000 miles my radiator started leaking. so i replaced it

this morning i started my car to drive home and it smoked up the whole entire area. smoke out of the tail pipe. and my battery light came on..

i popped the hood and it had what appeared to be a red-ish smelly fluid all over my engine and hood. i had no engine coolant. the leak appeared to be coming from the left side of the engine block but it was dark out and i couldnt exactly tell.

I filled the coolant and started the car. later i opened the coolant and coolant came bubbling out.

If it's a head gasket that's going to cost 1200-1500 dollars not to mention figuring out why the gasket blew. But if the jeep dealership picked out this Engine, inspected it correctly and decided to install it they should have picked up on any major issues right....RIGHT?

i'll be calling them tomm.

any idea on how much a new 3.7L costs for a 2002? i doubt they even have any these days

Post subject: Re: Possible blown head gasket?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 am 
LOST Addict

Sorry to hear about your issues. I would go off on the dealership. Personally I would think they would stand by the engine since it should come with some type of warranty. Keep us posted, I want to hear the results. As for a new engine...not sure but I think I read somewhere about them being about 4500...I could be wrong though.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Everything checked out. the engine they put in was under warranty! they fixed it free of charge. they also fixed some stuff not under warranty because i've purchased other jeeps from them as well. they said it was customer loyalty that led them to fix it. they also washed the jeep :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So ..... was it the head gasket?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I kinda crindged when i read your original post, am really glad it worked out for you. Now you can enjoy your jeep :BANANA:

-Mopar Nerf Bars
-Tow Hooks (front)
-Garmin GPS

..... ITS A OlllllO THING .....